Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 01:35 AM

23 posts, read 22,925 times

Advertisements

polygamy - man OR woman can have extra spouses
polygyny - only the man can have extra wives (this is the only one Islam allows)
polyandery - only the woman can have extra husbands
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 08:15 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Poppy~* View Post
polygamy - man OR woman can have extra spouses
polygyny - only the man can have extra wives (this is the only one Islam allows)
polyandery - only the woman can have extra husbands
True.

In the Islamic social structure it is the only one needed. Polygyny in Islam is essentialy a form of welfare to provide for those unable to provide for themselves. (That is if it is practiced as it is supposed to be in the Qur'an, Sunnah, Ahadith and the Madhabs)

Old 01-07-2013, 10:04 AM

31,036 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
True.

In the Islamic social structure it is the only one needed. Polygyny in Islam is essentialy a form of welfare to provide for those unable to provide for themselves. (That is if it is practiced as it is supposed to be in the Qur'an, Sunnah, Ahadith and the Madhabs)
This is the situation that makes the most sense in modern society, especially in war torn countries that have many widows that may have no support system. In reality as long as women are adults are not coeherced into the marriage it makes as much sense as same sex marriage.

Considering, that 99% of the married Muslims in this country have Monogamous marriages the topic is academic. I actually have an an aquantance that is Muslim and was in a Polygmous marriage, so I know it's not non-existant in this country.

Woodrow, would your wife be ok with you taking in another wife under the right circumstance?

Old 01-07-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
This is the situation that makes the most sense in modern society, especially in war torn countries that have many widows that may have no support system. In reality as long as women are adults are not coeherced into the marriage it makes as much sense as same sex marriage.

Considering, that 99% of the married Muslims in this country have Monogamous marriages the topic is academic. I actually have an an aquantance that is Muslim and was in a Polygmous marriage, so I know it's not non-existant in this country.

Woodrow, would your wife be ok with you taking in another wife under the right circumstance?
My wife wrote in the Nikkah that I have to agree to never take another wife. So, it is a moot point.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
My wife wrote in the Nikkah that I have to agree to never take another wife. So, it is a moot point.
Women can be so possesive. Actually, I see it as being harder on the man than the woman. Equal time and attention, their own house

Old 01-07-2013, 12:18 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,267 times
Default Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Sure, there are a lot of immature women.

However, women don't desert their children as often as men do. THAT is the ultimate test of maturity.

It is sad that many single women are raising their children without a man to help. I think our society would benefit if these women could enter a polygamous relationship.

Out yo DAYUM mind!! No I would NOT benefit from entering a polygamous relationship. What would I tell my daughter? Oh, baby it's not our turn to see daddy, you have to wait until Thursday when he spends time with us. Nope nope NOPE!! How about I get married to two or three guys, that way my baby can have all the father figures she needs, things will be fixed around the house, a steady income would be present, and all our needs would be met.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
Out yo DAYUM mind!! No I would NOT benefit from entering a polygamous relationship. What would I tell my daughter? Oh, baby it's not our turn to see daddy, you have to wait until Thursday when he spends time with us. Nope nope NOPE!! How about I get married to two or three guys, that way my baby can have all the father figures she needs, things will be fixed around the house, a steady income would be present, and all our needs would be met.
That could work too. as long as it is between consenting adults who am I to say no

Old 01-07-2013, 08:22 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
What would I tell my daughter? Oh, baby it's not our turn to see daddy, you have to wait until Thursday when he spends time with us.
Would it be better to tell your daughter, "Sorry, you don't have a daddy."?

Unfortunately, that is what a lot of kids hear.

When my daughter was a teen-ager, she had some friends over and they were upstairs in our living room. My wife and I were half a floor below in the family room watching TV, and I could hear little snippets of the conversation upstairs. I could hear her say "My dad ..." several times as they were talking, and to me it drove home just how important I was to her in her life.

Now she is 39 and married with kids of her own. They live nearby so we see them a lot, and when we part after each visit she hugs me and gives me a kiss and tells me she loves me, and I can tell that she really means it.

I think it is best for a child to have two parents, but part of a parent is better than no parent at all.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:59 AM

762 posts, read 1,216,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Would it be better to tell your daughter, "Sorry, you don't have a daddy."?

Unfortunately, that is what a lot of kids hear.

When my daughter was a teen-ager, she had some friends over and they were upstairs in our living room. My wife and I were half a floor below in the family room watching TV, and I could hear little snippets of the conversation upstairs. I could hear her say "My dad ..." several times as they were talking, and to me it drove home just how important I was to her in her life.

Now she is 39 and married with kids of her own. They live nearby so we see them a lot, and when we part after each visit she hugs me and gives me a kiss and tells me she loves me, and I can tell that she really means it.

I think it is best for a child to have two parents, but part of a parent is better than no parent at all.
I think it is the right of every child to have two parents who love them. Of course this is not always possible for many reasons. Better then that a child has one parent who loves them, than two who fight or hate, a child will learn nothing good from that. I also wonder what message have multiple parents gives, how to explain to a child it's not our turn to see Daddy yet? When the majority in society are likely to come from the two or one parent family example.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefol View Post
I think it is the right of every child to have two parents who love them. Of course this is not always possible for many reasons. Better then that a child has one parent who loves them, than two who fight or hate, a child will learn nothing good from that. I also wonder what message have multiple parents gives, how to explain to a child it's not our turn to see Daddy yet? When the majority in society are likely to come from the two or one parent family example.
Good points.

The structure of a society does determine a lot as to what can work or is not workable. In the nations were polygamy appears to work best are those that have an extreme difference in the numbers of the genders such as 2 to 3 times the number of women as men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam