Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 08:04 AM

209 posts, read 414,279 times

Advertisements

Peace be on you.
1- Fasting under God’s commandment is a source of spiritual development.

2- Fasting was commanded in the religions prior to Islam too though it may have lost the original way.

3- Commandment of Fasting is explained in Holy Quran and is unchanged, as the safety of Holy Quran has been promised by Allah. “Verily, We Ourself have sent down this Exhortation, and most surely We will be its Guardian.” (Surah Hirj, ch 15: v10)

4- The purpose of Fasting is summed in the verse: “O ye who believe! Fasting is prescribed for you, as it was prescribed for those before you, so that you get safety.” ( Surah Al-Baqarah, ch2 : v184)…………..The latter part of the verse is ‘la allakum tattaqun’ It may mean:

i-so that you get safety….. Islamic Fastings saves from loosing physical and spiritual goodness. Fasting saves from physical and spiritual harm.
ii-so that you may become righteous…..
iii-so that you become Muttaqi……. A muttaqi is a person who is careful in his acts so that he does not do anything against the pleasure of God.….

According to Holy Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) Fasting is for Allah and He Himself is its reward.

5- There are many benefits of fasting to physical health.

6- As spiritual benefits, God states after the verses of Fasting: ‘And when My servants ask thee about Me then surely I am near I answer the prayer of supplicant when he prays to Me……’ (words taken from ch2: v187).Thus Holy Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) followers’ Fasting should aim to seek nearness of Allah. Their primary prayer should be to seek it.

7- Fasting enables believers to be tough and have control on self.
Holy Prophet (s.a.w.) said a Fasting believer should say ‘I am Fasting’ when situation of clash and discord is there. [avoid the chaos]

8- Fasting sharpens spiritual eyesight and believers can check their own shortcomings better.

Holy Prophet (s.a.w.) said that Fasting with self-check erases one’s previous sins.

9- Fasting teaches steadfastness for the sake of God.

10- In Fasting, believers temporarily leave allowed things for the sake of God and it gives understanding of troubles of poor in a society.

Holy Prophet (s.a.w.) gave alms and charity a lot in Ramadan.

11-
Quote:
A person who is fasting should always be mindful that he is not just required to stay hungry. On the contrary he should remain engaged in remembrance of God so that he can cut asunder ties of worldly desires and amusements and is wholly devoted to God…
Source https://www.alislam.org/friday-sermon/2013-07-12.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam