Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 05:29 PM

364 posts, read 765,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Mohammed, the Prophet, was very much ahead of his times. He had few prejudices, and extended full rights to those with differing beliefs. He lived among Jews, and Christians, but more Jews as they were already well established in the area.

Also if folks don't realize it, the Prophet spoke but did not codify Islamic law. One of the primary differences, and arguments between and among sects within Islam is the interpretation of the Prophet's word(s).

I believe the first written Koran was several decades after the Prophet's death, and has been re-interpreted many times since the first written version.

I read that to somewhere from a site that The Koran was not first put together as a book literal hundred of years after his existed

Old 01-03-2008, 11:24 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,655,607 times
I am neither a Jew, Christian, or Islamic and I do not believe in the Christian Bible, Qur'an, or the Torah. These books are all written by man and are subjected to man's interpretation. I am a Native American, I was not born muslim and I find it very hard for anyone to believe in any kind of a religion that says that if you don't believe the way I believe, that you have the right to take their life, this is the problem we are having today in this world, so I ask you my brother muslim, why is it so hard for the Islamic world to get along with the rest of us.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:01 AM

1,217 posts, read 4,032,676 times
God, Allah and Jehovah are all the same god. The god of Christians, Jews and Muslims, respectively. It's just that we each have our own definitions and beliefs on what it takes to get to heaven.

And I'm sorry, but can SOMEONE tell me what Salma said????

Old 01-12-2008, 02:23 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,228,825 times
Originally Posted by ptsum
Quote:
I am a Native American, I was not born muslim and I find it very hard for anyone to believe in any kind of a religion that says that if you don't believe the way I believe, that you have the right to take their life, this is the problem we are having today in this world, so I ask you my brother muslim, why is it so hard for the Islamic world to get along with the rest of us.
I am not a Muslim, but I have some in my family (and Christians and Hindu's and atheists) but as far as I understand it the Jihad is an inner (spiritual) conflict.
But both Judaism and the Islam where conceived in times of heavy violence. That is why they are so hell-bent on excluding strangers (people not belonging to their tribe), because at the time they had to, to simply survive as a people.

Last edited by Tricky D; 01-12-2008 at 03:40 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-19-2008, 03:07 PM

488 posts, read 1,176,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I am neither a Jew, Christian, or Islamic and I do not believe in the Christian Bible, Qur'an, or the Torah. These books are all written by man and are subjected to man's interpretation. I am a Native American, I was not born muslim and I find it very hard for anyone to believe in any kind of a religion that says that if you don't believe the way I believe, that you have the right to take their life, this is the problem we are having today in this world, so I ask you my brother muslim, why is it so hard for the Islamic world to get along with the rest of us.
Bravo ptsum.
May the force be with you.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:54 PM

14,875 posts, read 17,146,555 times
Quote:
This is why I find it very strange that Islam is referred to as a "religion of peace" when the basic tenet of Islam is that anyone who does not embrace Islam is an infidel and the punishment for choosing another religion - or rejecting Islam - is death.
Hi, I have been following a new story about 2 sisters who were recently allegedly killed by their father possibly because of their dating non Muslim boys and their behavior led to what is termed to be an "honor killing" by some in the Muslim community. Can anyone comment on this practice and also another question I have is if this mingling with other cultures to this extent is so evil in the sight of some Muslims like this father perhaps, why are men allowed to marry someone who was not of the culture and have children? It seems like they would understand how much of a conflict with the 2 cultures this would create for the children. I am a little confused about this. I believe that this man had a lot of other problems but there seems to be an increase in these type of killings from what I am reading. Article and photos of the sisters below.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/DN-teenskilled_10met.ART.North.Edition1.37f3727.html

Breaking News | Latest News | Current News - FOXNews.com

God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 01-20-2008 at 12:08 AM..

Old 01-20-2008, 12:29 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Can anyone comment on this practice

I think its dangerous to assume that all muslims are the same. I'm the farthest from being an expert on that religion but I'll give you an example..

Explain this..

Andrea Yates (a christian).. mother of 5 kills her children because they weren't righteous. Do all Christians do this?

Of course they don't.. just like all muslim fathers don't kill their daughters for dating non muslim boys.

In each religion there will be hard liners who interpret things their own way..

Old 01-20-2008, 12:47 AM

Hi Bigthirsty, I realize that all Muslims do not do this, but it seems to be a practice by some Muslims from what was stated in my post and from what I understand.

Quote:
their behavior led to what is termed to be an "honor killing" by some in the Muslim community
Honor killing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thousands of Women Killed for Family "Honor"

I was just wondering if anyone who had knowledge about this practice could share. Thanks and God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 01-20-2008 at 01:30 AM..

Old 01-20-2008, 12:56 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi Bigthirsty, I realize that all Muslims do not do this, but it seems to be a practice by some Muslims from what was stated in my post and from what I understand.

Honor killing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was just wondering if anyone who had knowledge about this practice could share. Thanks and God bless.
Maybe this will help:

“There is no such concept in Islam that is called “honor killing”. Islam holds every soul in high esteem and does not allow any transgression upon it. It does not allow people to take the law in their own hands and administer justice, because doing so will be leading to chaos and lawlessness. Therefore, based on this, Islam does not permit such killings.

First of all, in order to sanction killing, it must be through a binding verdict issued by an authoritative law court. Individuals themselves have no authority either to judge cases or pass judgments. Therefore, a Muslim should not sanction such killing because doing so will be leading to the rule of the law of the jungle. A civilized society cannot be run by such laws.”

Honor Killing from an Islamic Perspective - IslamonLine.net - Ask The Scholar (http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503543392 - broken link)

Old 01-20-2008, 02:18 AM

Thanks for sharing. There do seem to be those who see it in a different way and this is why there is so much concern. For example, here is an excerpt from an article:

"by Al Skudsi bin Hookah, roving reporter and foreign correspondent for The Gaza
Gajeera.
Jan 20, 2003

I am very unhappy. Our way of life is under attack. And we are not fighting back. Deep down, we know that when a woman has disgraced her family, nothing will restore honor except by killing her. This is understood in Jordan, Syria, Yemen, Lebanon, Egypt, the Gaza strip and the West Bank. So why are we Arabs telling the Western press that honor killing is cultural, that it is not really part of Islam? Our way of life is based on maintaining our honor. And make no mistake about it: a woman does tarnish her family's honor by engaging in pre-marital sex, or by getting herself raped, when she seeks divorce and when she marries against her family's wishes...
It's not just religious leaders who know it's the right thing to do. Many of the most progressive political leaders are the ones who defend the practice. To maintain the integrity of our society and our traditions, we must maintain our honor by any and every means. And keeping our women pure is a big part of our honor. So there's no point saying honor killing isn't really part of our religion. Our religion isn't just what's in the Koran. Honor killings fit into the cultural context of today's Islamic teachings. Honor and Islam are inextricably bound; they are what give our life meaning. A strong religion demands we choose to maintain our honor...

Think-Israel

God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 01-20-2008 at 02:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam