Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 01:11 PM

336 posts, read 844,626 times

Advertisements

Hey You Out There In Cyber Space, I'm Going To Defend Myself , I Wrote At Midnight.went To Bed At 5am And Am Back ,11:45am , My Pacific Coast Time.do Not Have The Ability To Be At The Computer 24/7 .
I Was Comparing A Fundamendalist Bible Believing Christian, Who Tries(and I Do Mean Try,as I Was One) To Obey All Biblical Laws.ofcourse, It's Pick And Choose At What Laws One Will Strive To Obey.then The Ones(legalist) Who Are Trying To Obey And Enforce, Judge Others', (who Are Not Obeying In The Correct Manner) .people Who Read The Holy Quaran, Are Not Insisting (in This Country, Anyway) For Example Taking The Veil.now, They May Insist Among Themselves,like A Christian Fundamentalist Church Insist On Certain Behaviors And Do's And Don'ts, But The Penalties In This Country (for A Follower Of Islam)would Not Be Dismemberment Or Anything As Severe As A True Islamic Fundamentalist Would Inflict And Enforce. The Degree Of How And What Both "interpret" Is What The Comparison Is. (and What Land It Is Practiced In..)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 03:04 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
I have a chocolate headache, so I'll keep this short. I've read excerpts from the Quaran, and correct my should I be wrong, but there is only ONE version of the Quaran? I mean, there isn't like a violent version and a non-violent version? Then why is it that Muslims have such a diverse interpretation of the Quaran? Again, we are talking about the same book of the Islamic religion? Being a non-Muslim (infidel), I just don't have the theological insight to understand the paradox of the Quaran.
For the same reasons there are so many interpretation of the Bible, the American constitution (see different supreme court rulings) Torah, and the list goes on and on. Every man/woman has thoughts that travel at different speeds (meaning some may be swifter mentally than others). People are also shaped by their cultural and social circumstances. These all come to play on how we interpret things. A man could come up to two guys he knows and say "shut the eff up" to both of them. One might take offense while the other may not. Again, cultural and social norms are all at play when it comes to how this is interpreted.

I assume that most of us, if not all of us are intelligent beings. In saying this, I am hinting at the fact that, true understanding of any thing is gained through ardent research. The same is true of Islam, to read a paragraph from some random website and think you have it all figured out is counter intuitive to the very definition of being a intelligent being.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:23 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,587,068 times
Default anifani821

Quote:
But I am surely no scholar on Islam. Too bad we have posters who come on here and say they want to answer questions - then disappear when questions really are asked, LOL.
Here is a page link to an Islamic web site that features Shariah (Official spelling) Islamic Law as the purpose of the site.

Shariah Islamic Law - The Sharia

Old 01-03-2008, 09:26 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,587,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANA MANIA View Post
Hey You Out There In Cyber Space, I'm Going To Defend Myself , I Wrote At Midnight.went To Bed At 5am And Am Back ,11:45am , My Pacific Coast Time.do Not Have The Ability To Be At The Computer 24/7 .
I Was Comparing A Fundamendalist Bible Believing Christian, Who Tries(and I Do Mean Try,as I Was One) To Obey All Biblical Laws.ofcourse, It's Pick And Choose At What Laws One Will Strive To Obey.then The Ones(legalist) Who Are Trying To Obey And Enforce, Judge Others', (who Are Not Obeying In The Correct Manner) .people Who Read The Holy Quaran, Are Not Insisting (in This Country, Anyway) For Example Taking The Veil.now, They May Insist Among Themselves,like A Christian Fundamentalist Church Insist On Certain Behaviors And Do's And Don'ts, But The Penalties In This Country (for A Follower Of Islam)would Not Be Dismemberment Or Anything As Severe As A True Islamic Fundamentalist Would Inflict And Enforce. The Degree Of How And What Both "interpret" Is What The Comparison Is. (and What Land It Is Practiced In..)
IMHO, calm down and live a normal life. Your insurance company will thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam