Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: "Is the Christian belief in the Trinity polytheistic?"
Yes 9 81.82%
No 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 11:28 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times

Advertisements

Please respond to the poll and feel free to explain your answer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 01:31 AM

116 posts, read 87,904 times
There should have been a "maybe' category...

"Christianity" is diverse and a Christian may have varying set of beliefs...
Some ex-Christian converts have stated that they always believed in "One God" and never paid attention to/or understood the Trinity when they were Christian.....

Maybe a better question might have been...Is the Nicene creed polytheistic?

Here is a version of it....

"We believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all worlds (æons), Light of Light, very God of very God, begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father;

By whom all things were made;

who for us men, and for our salvation, came down from heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Ghost of the Virgin Mary, and was made man;

he was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate, and suffered, and was buried, and the third day he rose again, according to the Scriptures, and ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of the Father;

from thence he shall come again, with glory, to judge the quick and the dead. ;

whose kingdom shall have no end.

And in the Holy Ghost, the Lord and Giver of life, who proceedeth from the Father, who with the Father and the Son together is worshiped and glorified, who spake by the prophets.

In one holy catholic and apostolic Church; we acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins; we look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.

----I'd say that is polytheistic.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsiam View Post
There should have been a "maybe' category...

"Christianity" is diverse and a Christian may have varying set of beliefs...
Some ex-Christian converts have stated that they always believed in "One God" and never paid attention to/or understood the Trinity when they were Christian.....

Maybe a better question might have been...Is the Nicene creed polytheistic?

----I'd say that is polytheistic.
I really didn't want a "Maybe" category, but I agree that my question should have been:

"Is the Christian belief in the Trinity polytheistic?"

Since I'm clarifying this so early in the thread, maybe future posters will see it and understand what I was actually getting at. I hope that, based on this clarification, you will go back and vote. Thanks!

Old 06-19-2015, 10:14 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I really didn't want a "Maybe" category, but I agree that my question should have been:

"Is the Christian belief in the Trinity polytheistic?"

Since I'm clarifying this so early in the thread, maybe future posters will see it and understand what I was actually getting at. I hope that, based on this clarification, you will go back and vote. Thanks!
That would be a better choice.

As the Question Stands I can not answer yes or no.

I believe some , probably most Christians are polytheistic, but not all Christian are.

I do not Believe Jesus(a.s.) taught Trinitarian beliefs nor do I believe his followers are Trinitarian..

The Trinity was a later false teaching that was added in response to justify false teachings.

The non-Trinitarian Christians are much closer to the actual Teachings of Jesus(a.s.)

For the Poll I am answering in terms of considering Christians as being Trinitarians

Old 06-19-2015, 01:50 PM

Please vote, even if you have no comments to make.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:46 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,018,050 times
Yes, we would say the trinity is polytheistic as we don't accept Jesus (ra) to be anything more than a divinely guided *man*. To divide God in to three parts, one being the father, another the son and another the Holy Ghost has never been fully explained by Christian theologians outside of naming such convention of God as a mystery... In other words they can't logically bridge three distinct beings as being one God, so one must accept this notion out of belief. Since as a Muslim I don't believe in that, I view it as polytheistic.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
Yes, we would say the trinity is polytheistic as we don't accept Jesus (ra) to be anything more than a divinely guided *man*. To divide God in to three parts, one being the father, another the son and another the Holy Ghost has never been fully explained by Christian theologians outside of naming such convention of God as a mystery... In other words they can't logically bridge three distinct beings as being one God, so one must accept this notion out of belief. Since as a Muslim I don't believe in that, I view it as polytheistic.
Thank you. I sincerely appreciate your input and your vote.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:56 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,018,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Thank you. I sincerely appreciate your input and your vote.
No problem! It's a matter of a difference in belief and you certainly have your right to yours.

As the great Ethiopian Christian King when approached by a group of Muslims whom told him their thoughts about Jesus (ra)... He drew a line in the sand and said, "the difference between you and us is like the width of this line."

Old 06-20-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
No problem! It's a matter of a difference in belief and you certainly have your right to yours.
Actually, I'm not a trinitarian Christian. I'm just a Christian whose beliefs trinitarian Christians say are polytheistic, while claiming that they aren't.

Quote:
As the great Ethiopian Christian King when approached by a group of Muslims whom told him their thoughts about Jesus (ra)... He drew a line in the sand and said, "the difference between you and us is like the width of this line."
I like that very much!

Old 06-20-2015, 02:17 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Oddly the same Christians that claim Trinitarian beliefs are not polytheistic are quick to say the virtually identical Hindu Trimudi is polytheistic although the Hindus claim it is not

Same argument for claiming the Trimurti is not polytheistic.

From a Hindu site

Quote:

The Hindu trinity is of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva. They are respectively the creator, preserver and destroyer of the universe. They are also aligned as the transcendent Godhead, Shiva, the cosmic lord, Vishnu and the cosmic mind, Brahma. In this regard they are called Sat-Tat-Aum, the Being, the Thatness or immanence and the Word or holy spirit. This is much like the Christian trinity of God as the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. The trinity represents the Divine in its threefold nature and function. Each aspect of the trinity contains and includes the others.

Each God in the trinity has his consort. To Brahma is Saraswati, the Goddess of knowledge. For Vishnu is Lakshmi, the Goddess of love, beauty and delight. For Shiva is Kali (Parvati) , the Goddess of power, destruction and transformation. These are the three main forms of the Goddess, as Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva are the three main forms of the God. The three Goddesses are often worshipped in their own right as well as along with their spouses.
The Hindu Trinity

I can not comprehend how a Trinitarian Christian can say the Trinity is not Polytheistic, but the Hindu Trimurdi is. They are virtually identical and both use the same logic to claim they are not polytheistic.

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 06-20-2015 at 02:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam