Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 12:58 AM

137 posts, read 352,365 times

Advertisements

Yeah, didn't mean to insult there. I've only been there once and it seemed ok to me. I'll probably just try to stick with MS or Hawaii since that is what I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 08:26 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doitright1 View Post
Yeah, didn't mean to insult there. I've only been there once and it seemed ok to me. I'll probably just try to stick with MS or Hawaii since that is what I know.
That's not a good way to think if you want to move around. I can't see how you wanna leave HI for MS, I like MS alot but the move is so drastic. Jackson would be the last place I'd go in Mississippi. Seems like you would like the Covington/Mandeville area best since its close to a diverse bustling city and to your family. Guess you could go to Southhaven and that area but Memphis isn't as attractive as New Orleans IMO. What about Oxford, Natchez, or Hattiesburg?

Old 02-28-2012, 01:03 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,804,417 times
I actually have to agree with annie here. I was a little surprised by the sentiment to stick with only one of two states. Mostly, I just think you need to schedule a visit before you schedule the cargo ship. One trip might help you to decide.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:13 PM

I am sticking with MS if Hawai'i doesn't work out (and hopefully at least near Jackson) because like I said I know there. When I first moved here to Hawai'i 11 years ago, I had to start all over. I didn't know anyone. No friends, family, surrounding, laws, culture, etc. etc. I don't want to have to do that again. And for what I am trying to set up (a diverse farm), I want to set up shop somewhere that I know very well. I have family and friends all somewhere close to the Jackson area. Honestly, most if not all of them have left the Jackson area but most of them are still close enough to it. (Madison, Clinton, Utica, etc.)

Since I want to start a farm, honestly I can't think of a better place to start one than Mississippi especially considering that I am from there. I am not that rich so I will need very cheap land to start my farm. As I posted in my other thread, probably around $1K-$3K per acre. With our mild climate, I can't think of another place better than MS.

There are other places that are cheap but they probably have much crappy weather than MS and then I don't know anyone there. Just in my search for "good" land, I will be relying on my people in MS to guide me in locating good land at the right price in the right areas. Having good neighbors is extremely important out in the country, we all know this. And who knows this better than those in the field, my family/friends!

I am going to make a visit there though, that's for sure. As for comparing it to Hawai'i again, a friend of mine had a good point. He said what would you prefer your future children to experience, the great diversity of culture/people that you get from living in Hawai'i OR the great diversity of wildlife/changing weather that you have in MS. Very good question I'm still thinking about!

Old 03-04-2012, 01:29 AM

Angry regulating what you can grow on your own land

Legislature targets sandalwood sale | West Hawaii Today, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

Things like this really make me consider the move back home to MS. They want to tell us what we can/can't grow, on our own property!

As far as I know, you can grow/raise whatever you want in MS. Except wild animals, of course.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:30 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Legislature targets sandalwood sale | West Hawaii Today, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

Things like this really make me consider the move back home to MS. They want to tell us what we can/can't grow, on our own property!

As far as I know, you can grow/raise whatever you want in MS. Except wild animals, of course.
You have to keep in mind the balance of Hawaii's natural habitat and wildlife. Why do you think it's so hard to have pets and other items brought over?

Old 03-06-2012, 04:14 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,947,286 times
Quote:
Funny, my whole family is from Mississippi...I don't recall us ever getting in trouble with the law.

To the OP: like other's said, "shop around". From what you describe, Mississippi seems like a good fit for you. Land is cheap and fertile, there's not much control over guns or what you can grow, and you can raise your kids to be self sufficient. Homeschooling them is a good bet in Mississippi, as the public school system leaves a lot to be desired. Also keep in mind: by opening your future kids up to farm experiences, you're opening them up to the culture that is Mississippi. In my experience, it was a backwards one. There's still a lot of racism, and a lot of hate in that area. If you don't talk the talk, walk the walk, wear the right things or go to the right church, you could very well be outcast from a lot of social circles. It's good that you already have family and friends in the area, though, as that probably won't be as big of a concern for you.

If it were me in your situation, I would stay in Hawai'i, or see about locations abroad (you mentioned the Philippines). From your other posts, I assume you're US military, stationed in Hawai'i. Whether you're coming out of enlistment, or up for a transfer, there's all sorts of foreign locations that would be great for raising kids. While you won't be able to have the farm, your kids would benefit from experiencing diverse cultures. Living abroad will give them a more open mind, and more diverse views of society -- possibly bettering them as social individuals. Likewise, raising them on a farm in Mississippi will give them a different skill set.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:05 AM

375 posts, read 912,904 times
my 2 cents too...check state homeschooling laws/restrictions. Also, you may want to (since you're not married yet/no kids on way, right?), move to MS, rent for a year, and take that year to check out the states/towns ppl have suggested, as well as research the state gun and homeschooling laws.

Homeschooling will also allow your family the flexibility to travel/experience different cultures, so if you can figure out how to get that flexibility from work or farming (if you do that full time), then you can have the best of both worlds.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:34 PM

351 posts, read 1,127,004 times
Quote:
Hello all. I am from Jackson, Mississippi, born and raised. But I left as soon as I graduated high school and got a job here in Hawai'i. I've been here for almost 11 years.

You sound a little bit like me. I also grew up around Jackson, and left right after h.s.

We live in the Miami area and would like to have a family, it's difficult what with our work schedules and costs. I think it's common for folks at this stage to actually consider moving closer to the "grandparents" for childcare and family support reasons. The idea of being able to get back into horse ownership and having some land appeals to me sometimes...BUT

Things are just so BORING in Jackson, and we're liberals and not exactly super-religious. I do have a few h.s. friends of the same persuasion, but overall I feel that life there would feel pretty isolating.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:36 AM

95 posts, read 296,312 times
....late coming to this thread so bear with me. I've lived in Hawaii 27 years but originally from Alabama. My mom lives in Jackson, MS after retiring from U. Miss Medical Center so I've been to Jackson several times over the years. I don't blame you for being torn between Hawaii and your home in MS. One thing I may suggest is that if you're military, use your VA loan to buy property on the Big Island (Hawaii Island for you no so informed). You can have your farm, diversity, and relaxed lifestyle.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson