Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2014, 04:09 PM

114 posts, read 223,477 times

Advertisements

Does anyone knows how would the District of Eastover development projects would affect the people and environment of Jackson and Mississippi?

The District at Eastover
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 05:52 PM

3,736 posts, read 5,782,333 times
Default Very interesting you should refer to the development as 'Projects', Grasshopper!

....because that's exactly what those buildings look like to me, too.

The renderings of the proposed structures say "Housing Project, Chicago, 1962". The intended "feel", I presume, is 'Midcentury Modern' (...an outgrowth, or 'subset', of International Style Modern, codified as basically a sort of Talmud for architects who went into the field because they were good at math - even though they didn't give a flip about aesthetics. For reasons unknowable, these architects had decided against careers as accountants, engineers, physicists, or doctors.) Midcentury Modern is an absolute dream for copycats and rules-first ideologues (people who are preoccupied with ideas and ideals, rather than realities).

Jackson already has several generations of Modernist office developments. One big one, nearly-new, went on the auction block fairly recently: sold for Pennies-on-the-Dollar, too. Every time one of those big piles o' carp gets built, it is hailed as "the new thing".... so trendy! ... so sophisticated! ... so minimalist! ... so CEREBRAL!" And if our Decorator had not steered us in the opposite direction when we started building and buying, I'd be SO BROKE! That's because more people want pretty than want bleak.

As for the effects upon the community and the environment? Not much: the site was hardly pristine wilderness. A few trees and a lot of grass are gone. But that's the same as happens when a Wal-Mart goes in somewhere. And, like I said, several ugly Modernist developments go up, in and around Jacktown, every generation. Nothing really different, here, except that there will be APARTMENTS, touted as "upscale". But then, virtually all apartments are touted as being "upscale" or "luxury", or thereabouts.

Wherever they bought those photos, though... Honestly... Looks like they spent at least fifteen minutes picking-out those pics.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:33 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,413,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper_60619 View Post
Does anyone knows how would the District of Eastover development projects would affect the people and environment of Jackson and Mississippi?

The District at Eastover
It will bring more shopping and dining, as well as a movie theater, back to Jackson and help recapture some of the revenue this city has lost out on for decades, as such establishments moved out to Madison and Rankin counties.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:10 AM

772 posts, read 1,001,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post

The renderings of the proposed structures say "Housing Project, Chicago, 1962". The intended "feel", I presume, is 'Midcentury Modern' (...an outgrowth, or 'subset', of International Style Modern, codified as basically a sort of Talmud for architects who went into the field because they were good at math - even though they didn't give a flip about aesthetics. For reasons unknowable, these architects had decided against careers as accountants, engineers, physicists, or doctors.) Midcentury Modern is an absolute dream for copycats and rules-first ideologues (people who are preoccupied with ideas and ideals, rather than realities).

Jackson already has several generations of Modernist office developments. One big one, nearly-new, went on the auction block fairly recently: sold for Pennies-on-the-Dollar, too. Every time one of those big piles o' carp gets built, it is hailed as "the new thing".... so trendy! ... so sophisticated! ... so minimalist! ... so CEREBRAL!" And if our Decorator had not steered us in the opposite direction when we started building and buying, I'd be SO BROKE! That's because more people want pretty than want bleak.

As for the effects upon the community and the environment? Not much: the site was hardly pristine wilderness. A few trees and a lot of grass are gone. But that's the same as happens when a Wal-Mart goes in somewhere. And, like I said, several ugly Modernist developments go up, in and around Jacktown, every generation. Nothing really different, here, except that there will be APARTMENTS, touted as "upscale". But then, virtually all apartments are touted as being "upscale" or "luxury", or thereabouts.

Wherever they bought those photos, though... Honestly... Looks like they spent at least fifteen minutes picking-out those pics.
Well as long as these upscale apartments do not accept HUD ... Which I am almost certain they will not!

Accepting HUD is the ONLY way these apartments can go south, because HUD brings in low income people that lay around, whine about having no job, yet they won't go out and look for one when there are jobs they could be doing, and they sit there and get a government paycheck for doing NOTHING ... Oh yeah and not to mention they bring with them blight, crime, and the ability to lower surrounding property values.

No way are the people of Leftover, Eastover, & Fondren gonna let that happen!

Old 12-22-2014, 12:39 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,352,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post

You don't live in Mississippi and you are not funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson