Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Camp Tracey in Jacksonville, Florida known for physical, mental & sexual abuse to kids be
Yes 23 65.71%
No 4 11.43%
Not No Hell No 3 8.57%
I need to research the information to answer this question 5 14.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 12:40 PM

4 posts, read 12,257 times

Advertisements

Alethea Cauble@ gmail.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,352 times
My name is Khrystalle I was there 89.. with Rita and Aleatha. Facebook me khrys clowers or email me at [email]khrysclo@gmail.com[/email]

Old 08-27-2014, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,394 times
I was there for 1 year and 7 months i saw alot of bad stuff from brotha john wilson crashing the girls bus as he fell asleep at the wheel i watched him also physically abuse his to kids and treat one like a slave but ima stop here because this post will get me nowhere i seen alot of stuff while i was there 1r years ago plus i was a victim of sexual physical and mental abuse but who cares .Not these people i also have PTSD its been 14 years anf i still have bad dreams almost 3 to 4 times a months that im stuck in there

Old 12-15-2014, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxFlaGal View Post
Wow, that hellhole is still open? I find that amazing. It's always been evil, in my opinion. When it opened in the early 80s, I knew a girl whose mother put her in there while mom was going through a divorce. The friend was a good student, kind girl who was always quiet and stayed out of trouble. Camp Tracey was very traumatic for her, and she finally was able to escape and contact her father, who made sure she never went back there. To my knowledge she was not one of the ones sexually abused there, but hearing details from her of the hard labor camp treatment, the physical abuse, and the lack of medical care was a shock. I'm in my mid-40s and the name of the place still sends shivers down my spine when I hear about it.

I wish parents would just look on Jacksonville.com for historical articles on the place before they decide whether to send their children there. Read the comments to the articles, not from the kids, but from the parents who were horrified by the treatment their kids received. Historically, the church exemptions meant that what few inspections the place might get from child services were not publically available. Perhaps the place does reform some kids, and maybe it could help if you were convinced your kid's next actions would get them incarcerated for life, but parents please do your homework before you decide whether to risk your child being scarred for life by the experience. Look at the lawsuits, read the grand jury report, and realize that places like that don't change. There are other more effective and safer places out there that can help your child.

It never cures any child to be laltreated....no one !

Old 03-20-2015, 09:17 AM

2 posts, read 3,888 times
Default hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTsurvivor View Post
I am also looking to get in touch with other people that were there when I was. If you know someone that was there from '85-'90 please give me their email or give them mine. I would like to reconnect. Thanks!
I was there in 87-88. there is a camp tracey reunion on facebook if you are interested. I do not know what happened there but I have read some bad stories.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:21 AM

2 posts, read 3,888 times
Default hello again

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTsurvivor View Post
I am also looking to get in touch with other people that were there when I was. If you know someone that was there from '85-'90 please give me their email or give them mine. I would like to reconnect. Thanks!
my e-mail is jamesmcqueen43@yahoo.com. email me any time.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:03 PM

531 posts, read 1,428,907 times
This program sounds like a place right off a horror movie. I can't imagine things like this were happening as late as just a few years ago. I'm glad it's finally closed.

Just because someone calls himself/herself a Christian doesn't mean he/she is one or believes in what he/she claims. Plenty of sociopaths and hypocrites use religion to manipulate, profit and cover up.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:26 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,340,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewsmama View Post
Just because someone calls himself/herself a Christian doesn't mean he/she is one or believes in what he/she claims. Plenty of sociopaths and hypocrites use religion to manipulate, profit and cover up.
Remember some of the worst atrocities in history have been perpetrated in the name of religion!
Christian or non-Christian matters not.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,692 times
So true.Had same experience here in '95 as a camp boy. Also I feel like the children whose parents visited them every Sunday for church got off the hook to some extent. I also noticed the boys who have made abuse allegations never saw their parents.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,557 times
Default Was there from 84-86

I lived at Camp Tracy from age 6 until about 8 while my parents were counselors there. I did not witness any abuse, but I did witness several suicide attempts by some of the teenagers who were there because they hated being there, which was quite traumatic being that I was a young child. I do know that their method of punishment was severe paddling, being that was also my parents method of punishment. I was appalled to hear about the sexual abuse, especially being that my parents sent my older brother there when he was a teenager, and both my 2 brothers and I were often around the people who committed these terrible acts of abuse. I hope this place has been shut down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville