Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 03:38 PM

8 posts, read 24,577 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I have found a wealth of information on here so far (thank you!) and was just hoping for some additional input (opinions) on some neighborhoods and just the area in general. Our small family (in our 30's with one child) may be moving to the Jax area next year and I have found quite a few communities we are interested in. We will be visiting the area in the Spring and will check them out in person then. I am concetrating on St John's County due to the good schools and low crime.

We want a nice house (willing to spend $400k) with a private backyard in a safe area with other young kids. I think I prefer gated but don't want to spend more than $350/month fees or dues. Needs to be within 40 minutes of the Baymeadows area. We like golf, tennis, (clay courts preferably), biking/walking, nature/parks, beach, movies, some upscale shopping, cooking (a good healthfood store nearby), socializing...

Some of my favorites so far are:

Marsh Landing
Azalea Pointe
Odoms Mill
Nocatee - Coastal Oaks or Willowcove?
St John's Forest
St John's CC
Julington Creek Plantation
Cunningham Creek?
Any others we should consider?

A couple other random questions... Should we look for homes built in certain years due to construction quality/codes? Flooding is a possibility in any of these areas, correct? Are any of these areas worse in regards to general traffic? In regards to Coastal Oaks, I've heard bad stuff about the builder - anyone have issues with their home there?

Any thoughts/opinions will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!! Marrs

Last edited by marrs; 11-10-2010 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 12:42 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
I say move to the Baymeadows area, its a nice area

Old 11-11-2010, 02:31 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times
hi although we didnt buy in Nocatee i think it sounds exactly like what you are describing we looked there and i think youll like it alot!

Old 11-12-2010, 01:19 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Have to agree 100%! We've been living in this area for almost two years now and like it a lot. Getting ready to sign another Lease on our apt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
I say move to the Baymeadows area, its a nice area

Old 11-12-2010, 10:17 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Marsh Landing and Julington Creek are both good. I don't really have any knowledge of the rest.

Deerwood is also nice, but may be pricier than you're looking for. It's right on Baymeadows...

Old 11-12-2010, 07:10 PM

60 posts, read 188,924 times
Default Coastal Oaks at Nocatee

We moved to Coastal Oaks (with our 4 kids) a little over a year ago, and we love it. It is a great place to raise a family, there are tons of kids here (we now have our own elementary school bus just for Coastal Oaks!), we're very happy with the schools, the kids go out every day and find friends to play with, ride bikes/scooters/etc, several parks to choose from, lots of trails, pools, very safe and everyone is very friendly. The new Publix is awesome! And now that the Nocatee parkway is almost complete, it's a very easy drive up to Philips Hwy/US1, which leads you right to Southside or 9A (and the 9B section is being built right now too), so it will be an easy drive to Baymeadows. I would definitely recommend taking a look out here. If we can help in any way, let me know!

Lisa

Old 11-12-2010, 08:16 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times
This successfull small business owner sees San Diego and Jacksonville as sharing many of the same attributes:

‘I wouldn't have moved back here if I didn't see so much potential in this town.
I say this all the time. Jacksonville is very much like San Diego. We've got a
professional sports team, we've got great beaches, we've got a great looking
downtown, but we need to realize that. They need to realize the positive
aspects of all the things that are around them and support local. Support locally
grown businesses. There's really so much positive going on, and it's so easy for
people to sit back and nay-say everything to death. But I see things positively
and I'd like to see more growth, and I hope I'm right.’

from: Jason Albertelli. A Cat from Dos Gatos | Metro Jacksonville

Old 11-12-2010, 09:48 PM

8 posts, read 24,577 times
Thanks for your comments so far. I am really looking forward to seeing these places in person! I will look around Baymeadows too. I was just leaning towards St John's county due to what I've been hearing about Jax schools being hit or miss.

I really wish Nocatee was just a little further along... I like that it is so close to the beach. Would be nice if it had a golf course though. About how many homes have been built in Coastal Oaks so far would you guess? What about Willowcove?

Back to the golf course thing...are their courses in Ponte Vedra where you get get a family membership to that will also allow you to have beach access/parking? If so, how much does that run?

I love San Diego but it will be nice to not be stuck in traffic anytime I want to go anywhere! It's a beautiful place but SO overdeveloped. I want to live somewhere with more nature, less people!
Thanks again for any info you can spare! Marrs

Old 11-13-2010, 12:12 PM

402 posts, read 1,056,050 times
You are on the right track, no way in hell I would live in baymeadows over the places you already picked out. Not saying baymeadows is the hood or anything but IMO its not even in the same ballpark as marshlanding.

Theres a lot of traffic here too so dont kid yourself. The cost of living will be MUCH lower here though. Good luck with your move!

Old 11-13-2010, 09:04 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
I live in Marsh Landing. It will be hard to find a place here for $400k.

The golf places with beach access are all quite pricey. In terms of golf alone - the best deal is a Valley Membership at the TPC Sawgrass. It's $2400/year for a family. You'll pay cart fees only on the Valley Course - and kids can walk for free (at certain hours). You can also play the Stadium Course for an additional fee (that varies based on the season). There's also a 20% discount on food - things at the pro shop (like clothing) - and golf lessons. Right now - there's a special where a new member gets a $500 credit on an annual membership - and the referring member gets a $500 credit too. We're members. If you're interested in taking a look while you're here - give a holler - and I'd be glad to show you around.

FWIW - we're not exactly undeveloped here. OTOH - I'm not very familiar with San Diego. Although last year we went to visit my elderly aunt in Rancho Bernardo as a side trip from Los Angeles. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville