Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2010, 01:58 PM

69 posts, read 183,204 times

Advertisements

So, we are awaiting my husbands orders to Kings Bay, GA, but I will most likely be working on either JAX NAS or Mayport, so we wanted to live somewhere that wouldn't be too inconvenient for either of us. I'd rather live in the Duval/Pecan Park area (i.e. off of exit 363), however, he wants to live in Yulee. I originally wanted to live IN Jax and honestly, the exit 363 area is a compromise for me. We were originally going to put our kids (4 & 6) in one of the Catholic schools down there, which now I'm having look at putting them in public schools in either of these areas. Yulee seems quite small to me (although it does look like they have a Target & a Starbucks on the map ) and Duval/PP area looks like it has a lot more 'stuff' that I'll need.

Can anyone give me opinions (good/bad/ugly) on either town? Also, opinions on the public elementary schools? I've heard some halfway decent stuff about Yulee Primary, but then I read a parent review from 2008 that basically said if your kid isn't 'cookie cutter', it's not a good school. My oldest is borderline special needs, so I need to take that into consideration.

Why are the school days so short in public schools down there? I'm seeing 7:45-1:45 with no before or afterschool programs... that's a short day! What do people do for after care or do the parents just do abbreviated work days?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 02:29 PM

70 posts, read 309,079 times
Default The area of Duval/ Pecan Park is very convenient to everything

The area of Duval/ Pecan Park is very convenient to everything you mentioned. Most of my neighbors commute to Mayport, KBay & Nas Jax.They also like the local elementary school. The new Rivercity marketplace is right here with every store you could need plus more coming.There is very little traffic during rush hour. Yulee is very far from a good Hospital.
I have a Navy tenant being transferred to Va. If you need a nice 4/2 house to rent or more info. about the area contact me.
Ed

Old 12-15-2010, 01:25 PM

Thanks Ed! Actually, we are looking to rent and a 4/2 would be nice. Can you PM me info about the house- maybe a link with pics?

Old 12-15-2010, 05:16 PM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Actually, Fernandina has a great hospital (Baptist) which has been undergoing an expansion. While the Pecan Park area is better suited for your commute, the Yulee area has a lot to offer in nice developments and easy acess to the beach and 95. Good Luck and welcome to the area.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:32 AM

I'm not so concerned about the hospitals, as we are Navy, so we'd go to the Navy Hospital. I guess I'm just looking for someone to talk me into Yulee, as everything I hear about Pecan Park makes me want to go there for the convenience.

As far as schools, some sites rate the public schools in the 80's, other sites in the 60's, so it's hard to figure out, so any personal experiences etc, would be helpful. I HAVE heard that the Yulee Primary School is nice looking, but that doesn't say much else... anyone have any feedback (that the data itself won't give me) about Yulee Public schools or Pecan Park Public schools?

Old 12-20-2010, 12:54 PM

So, I think I have it narrowed down to these 4 zip codes:
32097, 32034, 32218 or 32226... And from talking to some who live in Yulee, it wouldn't be so bad, although, I still think I want to live off of Duval Station Road... I'll have to take a drive down one day... Still waiting on DH's orders, so it probably won't be until next month...

Old 12-21-2010, 07:31 AM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
My daughters are not in school yet although I have two close friends who daughters just graduated from Yulee and they are in their first year of college doing great. There is a nice subdivision going in on the east side of 17 about 5 miles south of what I call Yulee four corners (AIA and 17 intersect). I have been at Kings Bay for over 21 years (civillian), if you have any questions let me know and good luck and welcome to the area.

PS. I wish there were as many housing opportunities between the airport and Kings Bay when we came down as that is where we would be now. The Rivercity Market Place was a long awaited pipe dream that finally came through.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,068 times
I have friends in yulee and they LOVE it. Their kids have special needs as well and they are doing great.
I would love to live there myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville