Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 01:48 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,343,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJax313Atl View Post
I hate to say it...but I have to: I dont like Jacksonville at all; its very weird to me. I like for seasons to be noticeable. Plus there is nothing to do in Jacksonville - very boring. I could go on but I don't want to offend. And I hope that you have a totally opposite experience. Best wishes!
Hey...I agree with you! Nice to see someone else out there who isn't the biggest Jax fan. We're leaving soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 02:05 PM

459 posts, read 1,417,602 times
i can't believe no one has mentioned "beach road chicken" on this thread. that's reason enough to live in jax!

Old 11-30-2007, 02:43 PM

859 posts, read 3,617,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo13 View Post
i can't believe no one has mentioned "beach road chicken" on this thread. that's reason enough to live in jax!
There's a dedicated thread on the matter of fried chicken

http://www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...icken-jax.html

Old 11-30-2007, 02:57 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
Hey...I agree with you! Nice to see someone else out there who isn't the biggest Jax fan. We're leaving soon.
I applaud you and anyone else for deciding to leave Jacksonville because you don't like it here. I don't think people should force themselves to live in a city if they find that city not to be to their liking. By staying you only continue to make yourself miserable and, at the same time, you spread negative vibes among the other people who happen to like it here.

Internet forums like this one are usually not positive because they tend to attract alot of complaints from unhappy people. There is nothing wrong with complaining about life in a city if you choose to share logical reasons for complaining. No city is perfect and everyone has different expectations.

But anyone can see that this is a fairly happy forum because most of the Jax people seem to like it here with all of its faults. When unhappy people decide to leave Jax the percentage of happy people will then increase.

I wish you well.

Last edited by cricketfan; 11-30-2007 at 03:52 PM..

Old 12-01-2007, 09:18 AM

58 posts, read 51,707 times
where are you all going? those of you who are moving away from jax?

Old 12-01-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando'an View Post
where are you all going? those of you who are moving away from jax?
Jacksonville is ok. We are moving back to the West Coast of Florida. (I know I'll get blasted by some people out there...who hate the SW Coast of FL)
Jacksonville is pretty in areas. I like the semi-change of season, but for some reason my husband and I don't connect to it here. Our family is on the other coast.
I think most people on these boards are generally "happy" regarding Jacksonville b/c Jax doesn't have the transient population necessarily that the other parts of FL have. I also don't think people move to Jax with any illusion that it's a non-stop vacation. Jax is more "northern" in feel. Thus, people move here for jobs, etc. not necessarily the beach scene. A lot of people are from this area too, and therefore it's home to them.
I don't have anything negative to say about Jax either...just can't see myself here long term, so we are leaving.

The only thing I am not a fan of in Jax is that you really have to travel on a highway to get to most places. Everything is so spead out. I lived in Los Angeles for a long time, and it somewhat reminds me of that. Very much a highway town.

So, that's where we are going.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
I applaud you and anyone else for deciding to leave Jacksonville because you don't like it here. I don't think people should force themselves to live in a city if they find that city not to be to their liking. By staying you only continue to make yourself miserable and, at the same time, you spread negative vibes among the other people who happen to like it here.

Internet forums like this one are usually not positive because they tend to attract alot of complaints from unhappy people. There is nothing wrong with complaining about life in a city if you choose to share logical reasons for complaining. No city is perfect and everyone has different expectations.

But anyone can see that this is a fairly happy forum because most of the Jax people seem to like it here with all of its faults. When unhappy people decide to leave Jax the percentage of happy people will then increase.

I wish you well.
Yes, I was not on the forum to bash Jacksonville at all. I like that people are positive here. I am moving back to the other coast, where all the boards are SUPER negative. It's nice to see the majority of people liking the area. I have nothing bad to say about the area either, except we want to get back to family, and haven't connected. If you check out the other boards, the negative posts tend to be from people who moved to the area from outside FL. Jacksonville has a lot of natives, and others who move here for work, military etc. The people don't really move here with the illusion of vacation 24/7 like other parts of Florida...so there isn't that "shock" when it's not what was expected. I was just happy to see that there was one other person out there who (didn't bash Jax either), but also wasn't fitting in. We were beginning to think it was just us. LOL So, please don't get defensive...I'd be fine with staying..we aren't "unhappy" here...just like some other areas better. Hey, I'm one of the overall FL fans out there...

Old 12-02-2007, 05:32 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
... and you certainly do not have to worry about the headlines now on CNN : "winter storms to blame for ten deaths".
Lucky you . Is the housing very expensive?

Old 12-02-2007, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
... and you certainly do not have to worry about the headlines now on CNN : "winter storms to blame for ten deaths".
Lucky you . Is the housing very expensive?
Not in Jacksonville. Yes, prices have skyrocketed in this area over what they were 3-5 years ago, but Jax is still affordable in comparison to other parts of FL. Jax also has some of the lowest taxes, and very low insurance rates in comparison as well. However, I might not say that for long, as the prices are falling drastically in other cities in FL, but not so much here in Jax. Right now, our issue is how long it takes to sell a house, but not really too much in terms of prices dropping way way down.
It's beautiful here right now...fall colored leaves, but a balmy 80 degrees today! Can't beat Florida! Florida may be down right now...but we're not out!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-02-2007, 08:21 PM

58 posts, read 51,707 times
lewlew, i hope u like ur new home on the west coast. good luck with the move and keep us updated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville