Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 11:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,447 times

Advertisements

FYI: Nocatee is not next in line Durbin is. I heard it straight from someone who works for the schools. Durbin is next then Nocatee. We are going back and fourth as well. Bad thing about Nocatee not enough roads to get out if a hurricane hits. So they had to build a safe room in every house. That's scary. And there is nothing out there but a Publix
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlauburn View Post
In response, this is my first hand experience of Nocatee...

While there may eventually be 15k families (decades from now?), we have never been to the waterpark when it was even close to being crowded. We always comment on how empty it is. I'm sure as time goes on, the crowds will pick up as people move in, but it's a huge facility with room to expand. There is also the option to build more neighborhood pools. For now, while my kids are still young and love spending time at the waterpark, there is definitely not a crowd issue.

PVPV Rawlings Elem is a good distance away, but it's one of the best (if not THE best) elementary school in the county and well worth the drive. Initially, I was concerned with the distance, but after our first year there and our wonderful experience, it's no longer an issue.

The school district DOES have plans to build in Nocatee. As a matter of fact, the next school slated to be built is a K-8 at Greenleaf Village. They are currently building an elementary school in Palencia, and we are next on the list. Not saying when that will happen, but there are plans.

I haven't been out to Durbin Crossing in about a year when we were looking for a house, but there were several things that turned us off about it. I guess to each his/her own, but we are very happy with Nocatee!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 06:25 AM

219 posts, read 510,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxblonde View Post
Bad thing about Nocatee not enough roads to get out if a hurricane hits. So they had to build a safe room in every house. That's scary.
No, that's fear baiting. The rooms are designed to withstand hurricane and tornado force-winds in *non-mandatory* evacuations. So while everyone is sitting around watching not-quite-bad-enough weather on their TV that could theoretically spin off a tornado with little warning, Nocatee residents can do the same from their reinforced, bolted-down safe-rooms.

Oh, and the evacuation road issue was Nocatee residents clogging the escape routes of *other* communities namely PVB which will have to pass the Nocatee traffic to get out. It's not an issue for Nocatee residents themselves.

What you're saying is akin to 'that gated community must be dangerous or else they wouldn't need the gates!' You can debate how much additional safety it provides but it certainly doesn't detract.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:40 AM

77 posts, read 237,876 times
Our safe room is our laundry room--built into the house. Also, all the arterial roads around Nocatee are four-lane. LilMikey has it right. It really comes down to how close you want to be to the beach, how long are you willing to drive now for shopping, and how patient are you for shopping to come along that will be closer than any retail would be to the Durbin neighborhoods. We're in our house for the long haul! Last I saw, Nocatee had eclipsed the 1200 household mark. The retail will come. In the meantime, our family enjoys all the amenities--looking forward to the zipline!

Old 07-18-2012, 06:49 AM

219 posts, read 510,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlegcraig View Post
looking forward to the zipline!
Say what now?

Old 07-18-2012, 07:02 AM

77 posts, read 237,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMikey View Post
Say what now?
Nocatee builds zipline over waterpark : Historic City News reaching thousands of St Augustine St Johns County readers daily

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Old 07-18-2012, 08:05 AM

196 posts, read 427,602 times
New code in Nocatee is also doing away with the Safe rooms, so I would not let that worry you too much! Also, would not let "evacuation" routes worry you either - you have Nocatee Parkway or "back roads" to US 1. The way I see it, is if for some odd reason we had to evacuate, we have a head start on all those PVB residents! Lucky us!

Agree with redlecraig - just comes down on how close you want to live to the beach. From Nocatee, you can be at the Avenues mall area in ten minutes, you can be at the beach in ten minutes - and you have grocery and gas right in your neighbhorhood. To me that is a bonus. You can get what you NEED at any time, but the things that you might WANT, you have to drive 10 to 15 minutes for - in terms of Jacksonville living, that is NOT a big deal! We currently live in the downtown area so if I want to go to St. John's are the Avenues, I still drive 15 -20 minutes to get there - and I drive through traffic. I just love how peaceful Nocatee is, I love how close it is to the beach without being on the beach, and I love that I CAN get to the places where I might WANT things in 10 minutes. I just think that it is the perfect location!

We are moving in the start of next month and can't wait! I have not met anyone that does not LOVE living in Nocatee! I am sure that people love living in Durbin too, but considering we were debating between the two, I thought that I would let you know some of my thoughts on what led us to ulitimately choosing Nocatee (not to mention the Amazing schools, and the commute to downtown - hopping right onto US1 up to 95 at the Avenues seems much easier than any commute from Durbin!). Good luck with your decision!

Old 07-18-2012, 08:08 AM

196 posts, read 427,602 times
Ok - that is so cool and looks like so much fun! My kids (and myself, and my husband!) are going to love that!!!

Old 07-18-2012, 08:19 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times
Just to clarify a point, yes the next new school in SJC will be in/around Durbin that was announced a few months ago. There are a bunch of K-8 schools on the board for future funding, maybe one of those is for Nocatee.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:18 AM

615 posts, read 1,712,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxblonde View Post
FYI: Nocatee is not next in line Durbin is. I heard it straight from someone who works for the schools. Durbin is next then Nocatee. We are going back and fourth as well. Bad thing about Nocatee not enough roads to get out if a hurricane hits. So they had to build a safe room in every house. That's scary. And there is nothing out there but a Publix
FYI: I posted that a year ago, so I'm not surprised that Durbin is next in line for a school, especially in light of the heated rezoning drama that happened since then.

And as far as the hurricane comment, that's really ridiculous. I hope the Durbin builders didn't tell you that. In the rare event of a hurricane strong enough to evacuate, there are plenty of roads to use, and there are always different ways to get more people out in the case of some (unlikely) "mass exodus", like making all lanes go in one direction - Nocatee Parkway, 210, I-95, Hwy 1...

Being so close to the water, it's nice to have the storm room, but I seriously doubt we will even have to use it. We lived outside New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina, so it would take a lot to get us to leave anyway!

I have a feeling you're going to be the first in line! Do you know where exactly they're building it? I thought they already started working on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
Just to clarify a point, yes the next new school in SJC will be in/around Durbin that was announced a few months ago. There are a bunch of K-8 schools on the board for future funding, maybe one of those is for Nocatee.
Hoping, but I'm not holding my breath. It's all about the funding, unfortunately, and we know how that goes!

Old 07-18-2012, 01:00 PM

285 posts, read 606,379 times
Yes, the new school is definitely opening in Durbin Crossing, it will open to students in 2014. It'll be a prototype as far as technology and layout, so we're VERY excited about it!

We ended up choosing Durbin Crossing and have been very happy. But both places are great communities, you can't go wrong. Here's my analysis of who wins, in order of importance (for us):

Schools: Durbin Crossing (new k8 inside community)
Price: Durbin Crossing, definitely more house for your money
Proximity to Shopping: Durbin Crossing, since it's closer to Mandarin and equidistant to everything else
Kids Sports: Durbin Crossing is a big win as its next to JCP and is in the CAA
Proximity to other neighborhoods: Durbin Crossing (this matters to us for kid activities/friends, etc)
Commute: Tie
Ammenities: Nocatee, of course!
Lot sizes: Durbin
Proximity to beach: Nocatee, this was not a big factor for us, but I thought I'd throw it in

You can see why we chose Durbin, but if your priority list is in a different order than ours, your choice might be different!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville