Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 07:21 AM

402 posts, read 1,056,050 times

Advertisements

Loveboating, I still remember your story, heard it about a year ago. I could very well see myself living some where it doesnt snow when I get older, I can see how it could be a pain and dangerous! While I can enjoy it though, im going to!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 08:37 AM

8,950 posts, read 20,372,776 times
I can give that a DOUBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by parks71 View Post
Loveboating, I still remember your story, heard it about a year ago. I could very well see myself living some where it doesnt snow when I get older, I can see how it could be a pain and dangerous! While I can enjoy it though, im going to!

Old 09-01-2011, 11:37 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,527 times
Quote:
Headed to Denver Colorado. I will have plenty to do, camping, mountain biking, skiing, snowboarding, sledding, hiking, white river rafting, fishing, hunting, and the list goes on and on and on!

FSU, I know you are Mr. Urban himself, but the downtown Denver is a REAL downtown with a lot to do. I was there on a weekday, at 8pm and there were TONS of poeple walking the streets, shopping, eating, movies, bowling, free buses to take you around town, a light rail, it was a REAL HAPPENING downtown! I didnt even have the feeling I was going to be robbed either!

I know thats what you wish Jacksonville would turn into but it seems like its got a LONG way to go even be half that nice. I do understand your liking to that lifestyle now though!

Denver is a major regional center, like Atlanta is for the Southeast. It is THE big city for Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico, and parts of Kansas, Nebraska, Utah and South Dakota. Its a airline hub. And also the state capital and has lots of Federal Agencies with regional headquarters there. I can't see Jax ever having that stature. We are a secondary regional city for parts of North Florida and South Georgia and if you stretch it extreme SE South Carolina

And I can say with certainty we will never have skiiing, snowboarding or white water river rafting. But on the otherhand Denver will never have surfing or the beach.

It would be nice to have every weekend downtown be like a scaled back FL/GA weekend

Old 09-01-2011, 01:49 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
And I can say with certainty we will never have skiiing, snowboarding or white water river rafting. But on the otherhand Denver will never have surfing or the beach.

Well we have water skiing and wake boarding and I've pulled my sons and daughters and all their friends behind the boat on a tube with no worries of them ever running into a tree and dieing like Sonny Bono.

But to be honest I had never even read anything by parks71 as his last post on here before him saying goodbye was a couple of months before I joined CD.

Just want to say good luck in your move and Colorado in general. Colorado is a beautiful state I was stationed out there early in my military career at Ft. Carson. The only advise I have is try some of the smaller known ski areas as Steamboat, Breckenridge and Aspen were horrendously expensive., and some of the lesser known areas are just as challenging and less crowded ..Hey its all the same snow right? Good luck and God speed.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:57 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
Denver is a major regional center, like Atlanta is for the Southeast. It is THE big city for Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico, and parts of Kansas, Nebraska, Utah and South Dakota. Its a airline hub. And also the state capital and has lots of Federal Agencies with regional headquarters there. I can't see Jax ever having that stature. We are a secondary regional city for parts of North Florida and South Georgia and if you stretch it extreme SE South Carolina

It would be nice to have every weekend downtown be like a scaled back FL/GA weekend
VERY scaled back.

I am old enough to remember when Denver was very much like Jax is today.
I relocated to Denver in the late summer of 1968 from NY, my dad took a pay cut to make the move.

You don't even have to be that old to remember when Denver got its first *nonstop* overseas air route. It was in 1999, to London, and I took it--it was a steal because it was a promotional cheapo flight.
As an airline hub, Denver is still behind well Chicago and Houston, and Salt Lake is in there somewhere, but I agree that despite Denver's defensive Cowtown insecurity, it is world class, is a splendid place, and is THE big city in the region you mentioned. Enjoy, Parks! Try skiing at Mary Jane (http://www.winterparkresort.com/mountain/maryjane/index.htm - broken link) like the natives (No Pain, No Jane).

We left Denver in part because it's becoming more crowded (taking a pay cut to make the move), and despite the trade-off of living in a place with far fewer amenities, I like it, and trust Jax and the surrounding area will retain at least some of its old-school charm.

Someone (Robin55?) said that the Jax airport will always remain a backwater and that we'll never see nonstop overseas flights here. I can't remember the reason given, but it made sense at the time.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:30 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Someone (Robin55?) said that the Jax airport will always remain a backwater and that we'll never see nonstop overseas flights here. I can't remember the reason given, but it made sense at the time.
Probably because Orlando, Miami and Atlanta are too far ahead to catch up with and too close in proximity to really allow for long haul flights to both (any of the others plus Jax) airports.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:10 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Probably because Orlando, Miami and Atlanta are too far ahead to catch up with and too close in proximity to really allow for long haul flights to both (any of the others plus Jax) airports.
I can't remember if that was the reason, but it makes sense to me.
I thought Jax was courting Lufthansa for awhile, but I guess nothing came of it.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:23 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
JIA isn't a hub is why.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:44 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,120,348 times
JIA was never designed to be a major hub. Besides, we've got major hubs in Tampa/Orlando, Miami or Atlanta for those long haul flights.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:41 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
This is the best thing that has happened to me since the birth of my kids, I am getting out of this city woot! I cant wait until I can walk outside with out sweating, have good schools for my kids, a great downtown, and lots to do!

The things I will miss about Jacksonville is sadly only fishing and friends and family. The rest, I cant stand! Good luck to all of you Jax lovers, I wish ya well!

Hope you enjoy Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville