Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 08:34 AM

8 posts, read 25,760 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of moving to the Fernandina Beach area sometime in 2012. We currently are retired and live in NY 90 miles north of NYC. We are pretty familiar with Florida as my husband is a graduate of Univ.of Florida in Gainesville and our son lives in Tampa,thru the years we've made several trips to Florida but not the Fernandina Beach area. I have been researching online for areas in north Florida near the beach and came across 2 new developments being built by Horton Builders,Amelia Concourse and Parkview. If anybody has any info on these developments such as are these CDD fee developments and
what are the HOA fees going to be and also is this area as nice as it looks online? Any residents input would be greatly appreciated as you don't always get the true story from realtors and builders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 09:27 AM

5,127 posts, read 6,123,485 times
This is a nice area and location. While I have no idea about the HOA or CDD fee's I can tell you that Amelia Concourse went under and sat for a while with it's model homes as the only ones there. There has been recent activity and like quite a few developments in the near area that followed the same fate. in the close proximity new homes are just starting to spring up in each. There are four other developments in the area that have an abundance of lots and very few homes in them.

From low end to high end developments in this area there are easily over a thousand lots that are ready for homes if things pick up and that is a very conservative number. Good Luck

PS: There is a new Publix and Kohls going in that area, you also have a Target and Home Depot about the same distance away.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:17 PM

Hi JBtwinz, Thank you for your reply. My husband and I will do our research to find out more about these two developments.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:43 PM

542 posts, read 701,611 times
I believe these are in Yulee.... maybe they are technically Fernandina beach not sure. I can not honestly say.... as the previous poster does that this is a "nice area" it is ugly. Vast undeveloped mega housing developments that went bust. Good prices I am sure. Developers desperate to sell. Not on the ameila island but pretending to be. Yulee is devoid of anything aesthetically attractive. If you enjoy new strip malls going in, billboards, scrub pine, and over development of rural areas then yes either place is for you.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:58 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Other locations:

Amelia Park (on the island, 5 minutes from downtown, 5 minutes from beach, we live here)

Oyster Bay Harbour (off island, down the road from Lowes)

Old 01-16-2012, 04:53 PM

Default Fernandina Beach new housing developments

Thank you for the info,my husband and I will be visiting the area in the middle of February to take a look. I'm not a big fan of new housing developments and would prefer to live in a more established neighborhood with trees etc. We would prefer to rent at first,don't know if there are many houses for rent in the area that would except 2 dogs. A beagle and a mutt that looks like a disney dog,scruffy and goofy.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:03 PM

5,127 posts, read 6,123,485 times
The rental market has tightened up a little as more people are either getting out of homes or not able to buy with credit tightening up. You are really wise renting for a bit to take the time to familiarize your self with the area.

This is a beautiful area and has a great quality of life. It is currently a buyers market and homes on the island are almost competitive with those off the island.

Good luck and welcome

Old 01-17-2012, 04:54 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyer40 View Post
Thank you for the info,my husband and I will be visiting the area in the middle of February to take a look. I'm not a big fan of new housing developments and would prefer to live in a more established neighborhood with trees etc. We would prefer to rent at first,don't know if there are many houses for rent in the area that would except 2 dogs. A beagle and a mutt that looks like a disney dog,scruffy and goofy.
Definitely a good idea to rent first. Both developments that I mentioned are well-established, have mature trees etc but ours has much smaller lots and not everyone likes this. I know how you feel renting with dogs. We spent almost two years renting in several different locations with two gigantic dogs plus a cat and it was not easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
The rental market has tightened up a little as more people are either getting out of homes or not able to buy with credit tightening up. You are really wise renting for a bit to take the time to familiarize your self with the area.

This is a beautiful area and has a great quality of life. It is currently a buyers market and homes on the island are almost competitive with those off the island.

Good luck and welcome
Yes!

Old 01-17-2012, 12:25 PM

245 posts, read 503,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarpeg View Post
I believe these are in Yulee.... maybe they are technically Fernandina beach not sure. I can not honestly say.... as the previous poster does that this is a "nice area" it is ugly. Vast undeveloped mega housing developments that went bust. Good prices I am sure. Developers desperate to sell. Not on the ameila island but pretending to be. Yulee is devoid of anything aesthetically attractive. If you enjoy new strip malls going in, billboards, scrub pine, and over development of rural areas then yes either place is for you.
Amelia Concourse and the other recent developments in this same area (Amelia National, Amelia Walk, North Hampton, etc.) are all surrounded by Yulee...Not sure if the others got Fernandina Beach addresses but North Hampton did...So while the mailing address may say Fernandina Beach (more prestigious than Yulee), it's not..

Old 01-19-2012, 04:46 PM

2 posts, read 13,719 times
Take a look for yourself. My wife and I are moving into Amelia Nation and have done a done of research; we were convinced the prices were too good to be true. After all the research, we still decided to build in Amelia National.

It's worth a visit...I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville