Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 03:22 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,095,161 times

Advertisements

It's been chilly lately, and the holiday festivities are in the past. What do people do for fun when in January, or when it gets cold like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 09:01 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,505,643 times
If I feel like guests, I load up the burn barrel in the backyard and sit around it with my friends. Did that for NYE, actually.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:15 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,737,881 times
Generally the day starts out chilly and by midday it is comfortable again especially if there is a fair amount of sun. Good weather for a long walk or run or bike ride. By evening it's chilly again. I have to say I have never worn a full-size coat here in Fl, just a breaker or a sweater and a cap when the temp drops.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:58 AM

8,956 posts, read 20,382,577 times
For us older folks (60+), not much. Just try to stay warm and not catch the flu or pneumonia from being outside too long.

In the evenings, we sit around and watch Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy.......LOL!!

Old 01-06-2012, 07:04 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,885,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
For us older folks (60+), not much. Just try to stay warm and not catch the flu or pneumonia from being outside too long.

In the evenings, we sit around and watch Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy.......LOL!!
You aren't going to catch the flu or pneumonia from being outside when it's cold. It's got nothing to do with it.

Wheel of Fortune? Jeopardy? Ugh...

Old 01-06-2012, 07:07 AM

What about events? Is this a good time for concerts, or to go to a museum, or seminars? Does the boating community have get togethers or things they do in the winter to get the boats ready for spring?

Old 01-06-2012, 07:07 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,885,307 times
Well, it's not really been all that cold during the day (I know, some people are more sensitive to it, I'm talking about for most of us.). I've been doing things outside just like before. Just might not be wearing a short sleeve shirt. Those from down here may have to wear something a little heavier. But it's not so cold you can't do things.

Now is the best time of the year for hikes through the parks. The mosquitos are gone (for now) so you can walk and not worry about losing weight through blood loss.

Obviously, we get even MORE sun (if that's possible) this time of the year (i.e. it doesn't really rain all that much). Enjoy it.

Get some yardwork you've been putting off done while you can still do it without sweating your butt off.

Go to the zoo.

Go down to the beach, a lot less crowded this time of the year. Great time to just walk and enjoy the ocean.

This is my favorite time of the year.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:38 AM

Great answers! Yes, the zoo in particular is fun at this time of year. The animals are out running around instead of napping.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:23 AM

Ok, perhaps not a cold or the flu, BUT, cold weather does affect previous surgeries in older folks. The aches/pains from the cold can definitely be too much for some of them. Even without surgeries, the older bones/muscles "act up" when it's too cold outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
You aren't going to catch the flu or pneumonia from being outside when it's cold. It's got nothing to do with it.

Wheel of Fortune? Jeopardy? Ugh...

Old 01-06-2012, 09:28 AM

When it's warmer, like it will be this weekend, we will go over to our boat and do some cleaning and put the muffs on the drive, start it up and let idle at op temp for a few minutes. Let down the drive and put into gear to make sure the prop still spins ok. As far as "get-togethers" go, none that we know of.......not 'til boating season really gets underway in around April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
What about events? Is this a good time for concerts, or to go to a museum, or seminars? Does the boating community have get togethers or things they do in the winter to get the boats ready for spring?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville