Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 06:10 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,890,782 times

Advertisements

If he's not dangerous, you could try having strangers offer him food when they greet him. Of course, you wouldn't want to put anyone in danger. But you might even be able to find people who are comfortable around dogs to help you out.

It's pretty straightforward. The person simply approaches. Gives the "sit" command. Then offers a treat. If you do that over and over again with a variety of people, it might help.

We have a huge German Shepherd Dog (155 pounds!). When he was a puppy, we took him to PetSmart at least once a week to expose him to as many people as we could. That seemed to be the one place where we knew tons of people would want to pet him. We also spent a lot of time at the dog park once he was fully vaccinated.

He is a typical shepherd now. He's not super friendly with strangers. He's guarded. But he's never aggressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 08:32 AM

185 posts, read 318,583 times
Update:

Anyone know of any?????

My dog is pretty nervous and scary when it comes to being in her new surroundings. We are in the city and she is use to being in the suburbs. Though I have a nice grassy area for her to go she won't because she is scared of all the cars passing by and people,etc.
I need a good trainer/behaviorist that can train me lol so that I can train her and make this transition easier for her.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:47 PM

60 posts, read 188,965 times
Default Barkbusters

I know this post is old, but I have to put in a plug for Linda from Barkbusters. We got a puppy for Christmas year before last, and I was completely overwhelmed dealing with 4 young kids plus a puppy. I was just about ready to throw in the towel, but one of my neighbors had used Barkbusters, and recommended them, so I called. I have to say we have the absolute best dog in the world now, everyone comments on how wonderful he is, though is isn't even 2 years old yet, he is so calm and so happy and so friendly. He's just the best family dog now. The system is so simple, she comes to your house and trains you to train your dog, teaches you how to teach your dog what you want from him. I cannot recommend her enough: Linda from Barkbusters #904-814-9921

Good luck!
Lisa with 4 kids and Buddy

Old 07-22-2012, 07:24 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,884,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroth View Post
Anyone have a Dog Trainer, or Behaviourist that they'd recommend?

We have a dog that is having some 'aggression' issues that I need to get worked out...
Canine Point of View

Good guy, seems to be excellent with dogs (I don't have one but know the guy.).

Old 07-22-2012, 09:30 PM

185 posts, read 318,583 times
Thank you both!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: