Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2012, 06:29 PM

4 posts, read 9,034 times

Advertisements

We are moving from CA to FL because my husband is in the military and we are doing research on Condos/TownHomes ect and any info on this area would be greatly appreciate. Is it a nice area? Are there any problems at that complex? ETC....
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 08:04 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,501,664 times
We manage a rental unit in there. The current tenant just renewed for another year. They have never complained about any noise or crime.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:17 AM

35 posts, read 112,922 times
I lived there for a few years while I was finishing up a master's degree at UNF. Did not enjoy the complex one bit. I'm pressed for time so I'll edit in more comments later.

Edit...

I lived there for a few years before deciding to move to Riverside/Avondale. Both have their pros and cons. I will always take Riverside/Avondale over anything in that area in a heartbeat. My current situation, I'm preparing to move out of the city for a PhD program and I will sorely miss Riverside/Avondale. I wholeheartedly recommend looking into the area. You will not be disappointed, but I digress.

For the complex you are considering here is my take...

Pros:
- it is a very safe area. You will have no problems with any burglaries, vandalism or the such.
- Convenient to a Publix and other shopping at the intersection at Beach and Hodges
- Convenient to UNF and FSCJ
- Close to the beaches and all the fun over there
- It's a quiet suburban area. The only noise you'll get is possibly an owl or annoying noisy neighbors.
- My unit was modern and spacious with wooden floors. Wooden floors are quite uncommon in suburbia. This is quite rare, though I believe most of them have that terrible carpet you expect in suburban areas.
- Thanks to the modern amenities, electric was pretty cheap
- My AC failed a few times, but was always remedied quickly. Nice cold air always for the hot summers.
- Nice amenities - pool, gym, hot tub, volleyball court, tennis court basketball court, etc...
- I had an open straight shot floor plan, but other units are different and have a chunky or suburban feel. Depends on your cup of tea.

Cons:
- Parking is a mess... Everyone has assigned parking. It is one spot per bedroom of your unit. My parking spot was an assigned spot 3 buildings down. Any visitors had to park even further, either a couple more buildings down or at the front office. For a car centric suburban community this is unheard of.
- You can't choose your neighbors, but mine were noisy and nosey. I had to make noise complaints to the Sheriff's Office numerous times.
- The foundation of many buildings are falling apart. They are trying to remedy this, but this sure has brought down property values. When I was living there, there were many exposed buildings with workers trying to fix foundation issues. This was quite a noisy and cumbersome process.
- One unit in a particular building had a rotting wood problem. The insides of the building were exposed for everyone to see for about 2 or so months.
- Fireplaces don't work. Built improperly and are likely to cause fires.
- The walls are pretty thin. Probably due to the shoddy construction work. I could hear conversations, TV's, vacuum cleaners, music really easily!
- If you rent, you may rent into a unit that was once owned by a kind little old lady. I toured such a place in that complex. Watch out for the pink walls and antique brown fixtures. If that's your cup of tea. Kudos to you.
- Most of Jax outside of the immediate areas in the urban region is car-centric to a fault. I ride my road bike and jog on the weekends quite often. One afternoon I was jogging I had a little green man on the light across the street indicating that I can cross, I was clipped by a speeding car which resulted in a sprained ankle. I chose not to pursue any legal action, in retrospect I probably should've. My wife experienced a hit and run on her bicycle. She was clipped while riding down Sutton Park on a bright and sunny Sunday afternoon.

Other Comments:
- Car-Centric
- Mostly family and retiree centric
- Keep a lookout for the nice man who walks his cat =)

Overall I feel like the bad outweighed the good in my situation. I did my work and studies on that side of town at North Florida, but I did my play and social activities in Riverside. I said sayonara to Hodges and never looked back.

I'll edit in more comments as I think of them.

Last edited by jaded_seconds; 02-03-2012 at 12:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville