Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 10:26 AM

754 posts, read 2,815,439 times

Advertisements

I'm an IT guy, and I get paid quite well. I ain't six-figures or anything, but I've checked out other parts of the country and I feel I'm getting compensated nicely.

I keep my skill set up to date, making sure I know what the trends are in the area and getting the corresponding training. But I don't think it necessarily takes being in IT to get good pay. Just find out what's in demand, especially HOT demand, and bring your skills up accordingly. True, you may need to take smaller pay before moving up the pay scale. That's what I did, even in IT. But so be it.

Plus, you could always start your own business. I run one on the side (in software development), and I hope to do it full-time one day. Until then, though, I'll be working for "The Man"!

I'm not dismissing the sentiments here that Jax pay is low. There are enough of you saying that, so I think it's probably true. All I'm saying, though, is that if a b00b like me can get a good-paying job, anyone can!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 11:49 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydiss View Post
I just have to chime in on this one.... having just experienced this first hand. Granted not tech related but... my family has fallen in love with Florida. We just love the warm weather, beautiful skies and all there is to do. We go at least 2 times a year. My husband has a good job here in the North East in a public works department but has been seeking employment in FL... much to our dismay the pay is lower than the temps receive here! And then we came across a union job which we thought sure was our payday! What an absolute disappointment that was, the pay is even lower! How can a family of 3 survive in FL making $22000??? I mean, do they give food away? Isn't gas still like $4.00 a gallon? I feel so defalted after this realization. All these folks on here posting don't seem to be making it up. It's a gorgeous and fun state to visit, just not a good one to find work in. At least work that pays a decent salary. :-(
I don't think a family of 3 can survive making $22k/yr. That is very low.

Here's what City-Data's research has show for Jacksonville's median salary in 2005:

Estimated median household income in 2005: $44,173 (it was $40,316 in 2000)
Jacksonville $44,173
Florida: $42,433

That seems about right. Even a basic corporate call center job here tends to pay in the low $30's. There are definitely 6 figure jobs here in Jacksonville, but like anywhere you need to be exceptional in some way in order to snag one. It's not always about college degrees either, sometimes it's about sales skills and personality. The finance and insurance industries here in Jax tend to have some of these 6 figure jobs, and I suppose transportation does as well since it's another major industry here.

As for the cost of living, housing aside, I've found it to be pretty comparable to the NorthEast. Food, clothing, etc., cost basically the same here. For many years, housing was incredibly cheap, but that's changed now. We're still an affordable city with housing, but the housing costs are still growing out of reach for a larger and larger portion of people living here.

I would not give up on the idea of relocating, Ladydiss, it just may take some time for your husband to find the right job.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:28 PM

16 posts, read 41,588 times
I moved from Louisiana to Fl in 1990. With a Bus Degree from LSU. Worked a few jobs here and there hanging on for something decent to come along. What I found out was that the pay was nothing close to what I expected. In addition, the same jobs that were floating around paying say $10 or $11 an hour are paying to this day $10 or $11 and hour. But the price of their goods and or services damn sure increased. Its really sad. I did the smart thing and opened my own business, thank God I skills with computers. They saved me! I'm sure its not just Fla, its a problem all across the country. And it sure doesn't matter who the hells in the White house. We're getting the shaft from the left and the right. Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: