Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 04:45 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,933 times

Advertisements

Saying the young don't flock to Gate Parkway is a bit misleading. Because of the sheer number of companies with good-paying jobs in the area, there are quite a few young people who call that area home because they work in the area.

The St. John's Town Center there has more to do than most areas in Jacksonville (for people of all ages but especially the younger crowd). Tons of restaurants and shopping (if that's your thing). Tinseltown is right up the street (the best movie theater in the area, imo) and more places to hang out, eat and drink. It's also not far from most areas you'd want to get to (the beaches, downtown, etc.).

It's also more than safe enough. Not much happens over there that I hear about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 08:06 AM

11 posts, read 13,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
Saying the young don't flock to Gate Parkway is a bit misleading. Because of the sheer number of companies with good-paying jobs in the area, there are quite a few young people who call that area home because they work in the area.

The St. John's Town Center there has more to do than most areas in Jacksonville (for people of all ages but especially the younger crowd). Tons of restaurants and shopping (if that's your thing). Tinseltown is right up the street (the best movie theater in the area, imo) and more places to hang out, eat and drink. It's also not far from most areas you'd want to get to (the beaches, downtown, etc.).

Thanks GadgetRick. Cool! I am thinking of there as well. ANF, Banana Republic all there. Haha.
Oh well. Love food. Can't wait to get there.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:32 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman86 View Post
Hi Mad -> Federal Income Tax in Florida = 7.65% per month to Federal Reserve? Haha. Oh man, that's alright i guess.

Hi Ben Says -> Are you SEA? Riverside and Avondale should be safe I reckon? Is there any chinese food and groceries around these areas? I am looking at a condo which is on a higher level rather than in a bungalow.

Hi All -> From riverside it is best i drive? Is car being taxed as well? Kindly advise.

Thanks
I'm afraid that it's difficult to find decent Chinese food in the Jacksonville area.

This is the place where I buy things I use in Asian cooking:

Jax Oriental Market - Jacksonville, FL

I also grow some things in my yard - like lemongrass. Robyn

Old 12-04-2012, 08:03 AM

10 posts, read 11,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post

In my opinion, while there are young professionals in that area, there's no urban culture or vibe. It's hard to find a single unique thing in the Southside area. Everything is in a strip mall. To get to anything, you drive (don't walk!!). No independent business.

For the best movie theatre in town, try independent movie theatre Sun-Ray in 5 Points. Homemade food and alcohol. The second best is in San Marco.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:22 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times
I like the San Marco movie theatre. You can get pitchers of beer.

San Marco Theatre /// Showtimes & Events

Old 12-04-2012, 01:59 PM

^ You can get pitchers of beer at Sun-Ray too--especially from local breweries. I grew up on San Marco Movie Theatre...20+ years of going there. But, now, Sun-Ray is better.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:08 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,933 times
[quote=ben says;27200916]In my opinion, while there are young professionals in that area, there's no urban culture or vibe. It's hard to find a single unique thing in the Southside area. Everything is in a strip mall. To get to anything, you drive (don't walk!!). No independent business.[/QUOTE\
You can say that about the whole area. But that doesn't mean it's not got a lot of younger people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben says View Post
For the best movie theatre in town, try independent movie theatre Sun-Ray in 5 Points. Homemade food and alcohol. The second best is in San Marco.
Best theater if you want a pitcher of beer with your movie. Never been to the two you're mentioning but, for quality of picture/sound--what I'm concerned about--Tinseltown is second to none other than the IMAX down in World Golf Village.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:30 PM

11 posts, read 13,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I'm afraid that it's difficult to find decent Chinese food in the Jacksonville area.

This is the place where I buy things I use in Asian cooking:

Jax Oriental Market - Jacksonville, FL

I also grow some things in my yard - like lemongrass. Robyn
You are amazing. I shall try it when i am there.
As long as there's mart, i can cook. So not an issue. Thanks for your heads up guys.

As for theatre, it sounds damn cool as compare to the urban life i am in. No beers in theatre in SEA though.

Let's see if Riverside is safe. How's the condo rents like? I couldn't find any online. Do the condos normally comes with a gym and a pool?

Old 12-04-2012, 06:55 PM

725 posts, read 2,571,302 times
These are for sale but it shows a little bit about the area.

Home - The John Gorrie

Old 12-04-2012, 07:01 PM

Riverside is as safe as the Southside, if not safer. People will tell you the opposites. LOOK at the crime statistics, that's the only way you'll really know.

It's not really a condo-centric neighborhood. It's the largest historic district in the Southeast. Condos weren't really built here because they didn't want to tear down old buildings to get it. There is one condo though, and it's a nice one (it's on the water): Bell Riverside | About Bell | Apartments for Rent in Jacksonville, FL

Try this website for all things Riverside (it's a website about Jacksonville, but most of the posters live on "this side of town"): Metro Jacksonville | Covering Downtown Jacksonville FL, Northeast Florida, Jacksonville Transit, History, Neighborhoods, Photos

Here are some photo-tours of the area...

Inside Riverside's Bold Bean Coffee Roasters | Metro Jacksonville

Shoppes of Avondale Photo Tour | Metro Jacksonville

Old Ortega Historic District | Metro Jacksonville

RAP Produces Award Winning Video | Metro Jacksonville

Here's the link to 5 Points movie theater: Sun-Ray Cinemas

Get out and explore. From where I live (and where Bell Riverside is) I can WALK to a Publix, an organic grocery store, movie theatre, restaurants, desserts, ethnic food, doctors, attorneys, etc.

I'm also a 2 minute drive from one of the largest farmers markets in the whole Southeast on Beaver Street.

Expand your horizons, leave to burbs, come check out the core.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville