Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 04:20 AM

26 posts, read 40,945 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

As I'm moving from UK to Jacksonville next week I started thinking about golf as that's my #1 sport. I see lots of courses which is great but currently I walk and carry. There is no way I am going to carry so absolute minimum is a power caddy but is this still possible or is it just to HOT.

Do you have golf seasons where you say walk in winter and Cart in the summer?

If you can not walk is it worth buying your own cart to avoid rentals as I will play at least once a week?
Do courses allow you to take your own cart on them?

Interested on your views before I tell the wife I'm buying a cart

Thanks
Andy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 06:23 AM

195 posts, read 322,126 times
Some courses allow walkers at all times, some only allow walkers after 2 or 3 pm. (but very rarely on weekends or holidays)
Some courses allow you to bring your own cart but you usually have to pay a trail fee.
Some courses (usually resort courses) don't allow any carts but their own to be used/rented.

Golf is just about a year round sport down here, so winter rules rarely apply. So I believe the cart rules are in effect year round

Of all the courses I have given individuals lessons at, the most relaxed cart use rules were at Deerfield Lakes on Jacksonvilles north side.
The most stringent cart rules were at The TPC Sawgrass course in Ponte Vedra Beach.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:27 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Some courses allow walkers at all times, some only allow walkers after 2 or 3 pm. (but very rarely on weekends or holidays)
Some courses allow you to bring your own cart but you usually have to pay a trail fee.
Some courses (usually resort courses) don't allow any carts but their own to be used/rented.

Golf is just about a year round sport down here, so winter rules rarely apply. So I believe the cart rules are in effect year round

Of all the courses I have given individuals lessons at, the most relaxed cart use rules were at Deerfield Lakes on Jacksonvilles north side.
The most stringent cart rules were at The TPC Sawgrass course in Ponte Vedra Beach.
What are the "stringent" cart rules you're talking about at TPC Sawgrass? I'm a member there. IIRC - you're allowed to walk all the time - and there are "walking power carts" available for rental if you don't want to carry your bag. OTOH - you can't use your own golf cart. So - if you want a cart - you have to rent one.

My husband and I are well past our walking days. But we see younger people walking year 'round (most of the really young ones carry their own bags). A lot of people come out in the late afternoon after work during the summer when the days are long to walk a quick 9 holes.

Note that we have what's called a "Valley Membership" at the TPC. One of the great golf bargains in the area IMO. We pay $2500 a year or so for the membership (which is good for the whole family). No monthly minimums for anything - no "buy-in". We pay cart fees only on the Valley Course (unlimited play). $20/pp for 9 holes - $30/pp for 18. Have various discounts on the Stadium Course depending on the season (there are also "daily specials" announced from time to time during low seasons). Also get 20% off food - 20% off lessons - and 20% off at the Pro Shop. It's a year-by-year deal. So - if you don't like it - you simply don't renew your membership. Here are more details:

TPC Sawgrass Golf Membership - TPC.com

The practice facilities are excellent (a new practice area near the Valley Course was just completed).

About the only fly in the ointment now is the Valley Course is set for some extensive renovations sometime in the next year or so which will probably affect normal play. I don't know the details yet.

I guess another fly in the ointment is that both courses host tournaments (The Players on the Stadium Course in May - the Winn Dixie on the Valley Course in the fall). Both courses can play pretty hard when they're being prepared for the tournaments (think tournament ready rough and greens and fairways).

Note to the OP. It is very hot/humid here in the summer (we play some summer afternoons - but we sweat ) - can be cool/cold in the winter. Robyn

Old 07-03-2013, 12:26 PM

Thanks so buying your own cart not really going to save you much. Looks like a power caddy is on the cards then

Thanks

Old 07-03-2013, 08:38 PM

54 posts, read 127,980 times
So here in Colorado I've seen most courses that allow you to bring your own cart charge the trail fee which, unless you golf there almost daily, is not gonna save you any $$$. There are a few courses I'm aware of that are called "semi-private." They are basically open to the public however they offer memberships which allow a number of benefits to the members including a one time yearly trail fee to use your own cart. I think this is pretty common at country clubs as well but not positive. One course in particular here I believe is about $2000 for a yearly family membership then another $300 trail fee to use your own cart(s).

I'm surprised there is nothing like that in Florida. It seems there are so many developments that are built around golf courses. Even some developments that allow you to drive your golf carts around everywhere. It would seem as if they would include use of your own cart in a membership fee or a one time additional cost.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:50 AM

64 posts, read 165,408 times
I would say 80%+ of the courses here are 'unwalkable'. They are built around housing developments to maximize real estate acreage. They are not built like classic golf courses or any of the courses I grew up playing. I played Royal St. Augustine about a month ago and I would guess you literally have to drive over a quarter of a mile through the housing subdivision (down residential streets), etc on a couple of holes to get to the next tee box. This is not something you can walk. Most of these courses just include the golf cart as part of the green fees.

Its sad, but walking golf courses has become a thing of the past because of the way that courses are designed to improve property value, they are not designed to be walkable. I grew up playing golf and I've played all over the place for the past 20+ years and Florida is especially bad.

As far as the Valley Course goes, I got a chance to play there in early May and the course was not in good shape at all. The greens were not what I would expect at such a course and the fairways were not much better. If you played every week all year round, that membership comes out to 80 bucks per 18, so I would say there are much better values around. Maybe it was just the time of year I played though (and the grass wasn't growing yet). The landscaping etc however was great. I love to look at all the plants, trees etc just as much as I like to golf and they did do a great job. I don't remember which hole it was, but there was a massive wall of what I thought was sweet viburnum 20 ft tall and 50 ft long and it was in full bloom and you could just smell it from a hundred yards away.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley615 View Post
...I'm surprised there is nothing like that in Florida. It seems there are so many developments that are built around golf courses. Even some developments that allow you to drive your golf carts around everywhere. It would seem as if they would include use of your own cart in a membership fee or a one time additional cost.
There are plenty of courses that allow you to use your own cart (under various fee arrangements). The club that I belonged to before I joined the TPC was one such club. Robyn

Old 07-05-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimsim View Post
I would say 80%+ of the courses here are 'unwalkable'. They are built around housing developments to maximize real estate acreage...
Agreed.

OTOH - although I haven't done much walking in the last decade - I did walk the Stadium Course with a caddy perhaps 5 years ago (it's a nice walkable course). Alone - just the 2 of us. It was something I always wanted to do . OTOH - because I did this as a birthday present for myself - and because my birthday is in early September - and because the only way I could be alone was to book a tee time in the afternoon - I only managed to walk 9 holes before the heat got to me . Used a cart for the back nine.

Quote:
As far as the Valley Course goes, I got a chance to play there in early May and the course was not in good shape at all. The greens were not what I would expect at such a course and the fairways were not much better. If you played every week all year round, that membership comes out to 80 bucks per 18, so I would say there are much better values around. Maybe it was just the time of year I played though (and the grass wasn't growing yet). The landscaping etc however was great. I love to look at all the plants, trees etc just as much as I like to golf and they did do a great job. I don't remember which hole it was, but there was a massive wall of what I thought was sweet viburnum 20 ft tall and 50 ft long and it was in full bloom and you could just smell it from a hundred yards away.
You're right about the shape the Valley Course is in (at least as of early last month - I haven't played it since the first week of June - when the course was closed for 2 weeks for seasonal maintenance and I played the Stadium Course - have been out of town and will be playing the Valley Course tomorrow - will report back). Which is why - as I understand it - a major renovation is now on the drawing board (starting time to be announced). Which may include replacing the grass that's currently used on both the greens and the fairways with some newer varieties that have been developed for use in this specific climate.

One thing I'll say about the TPC. Management does not spare any expense in terms of maintenance. The drainage and other parts of the Stadium Course were renovated extensively about 5-6 years ago. The drainage on the Valley Course was renovated extensively about 2-3 years ago. A brand new additional practice facility has just been completed near the Valley Course. And the "renovation" of the Valley Course will be next. Also - management does things like put in super high quality "tournament" sand in the traps for the Winn Dixie on the Valley Course (I understand that this sand costs 3-4 times as much as "regular" sand trap sand). I think management's goal is to make the Valley Course every bit as attractive a resort destination as the Stadium Course. Not so important for me (I'm your typical hacker who wouldn't mind a rule saying you can tee up in sand traps - and now have a bad back to boot) - but it's important for the TPC because most golf packages include golf both on the Stadium and Valley courses.

On my part - I just think the facility is pretty* - the Valley Course is playable for people like me - and the staff is great - super great. It's my "home facility" and I'm always made to feel welcome by everyone. Just to give you a "for example". When I did my one walking stint on the Stadium Course - the caddy master made sure I had a great caddy (he's been a caddy for Josh Scobee during his attempts to qualify for the US Open) who wouldn't look down his nose at a 32 handicap old lady golfer who only uses about 5 golf clubs . That meant a lot to me.

Anyway - golf courses/club memberships are very much "different strokes for different folks". What I like may not suit other people for many different reasons (including proximity - the TPC is 5 minutes away from my house - don't think I'd like it as much if it was 45 minutes away).

And - of course - it's possible to play a lot of golf here at reasonable prices at some very nice places without getting involved in one particular facility.** By using something like this:

Jacksonville Golf, St Augustine Golf Discount Tee Times | GOLFNOW.com

Robyn

*In May - when you played - the whole facility was "Players" ready. You can't believe the amount of landscaping that goes on in April to make the facility "photogenic" for the tournament (including delivery of tons of flowers/plants/shrubs - by the truckful - and I'm talking 18 wheelers ).

**One of the reasons we left Miami after retirement was because the golf course situation there was horrible. When we left - the private courses were still "segregated". WASPs here - Jews there - blacks and Hispanics nowhere except on public courses. Mixed marriage couples like me and my husband (and I'm talking Jewish and WASP - not black and white) weren't particularly welcome at most private facilities. That's how backwards Miami was. There's a lot to dislike about the layout of "real estate" golf courses in terms of playing - but at least those clubs don't blackball you for a variety of repulsive reasons when you try to join.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:13 AM

Many thanks everyone for advice. Seems a lot of people float around courses as well rather than join a specific course. Can't wait to get started after I find a job.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:29 PM

We played the Valley Course today. It looks a *lot* better than it did a month ago (although not perfect) - and is now being made "tournament ready" for the Winn Dixie in September (rough is growing out ).

Regarding "walking carts". If you want one at the TPC - you're required to rent a "kangaroo [power] walking cart". $15 for 18 holes. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville