Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2007, 06:23 PM

58 posts, read 170,830 times

Advertisements

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I'm considering moving my family to St. Johns County in 08. I've made several visits to the area and researched the school system, which I know is among Florida's best. I've zeroed in on the Julington Creek area, and I'm curious about Fruit Cove Middle School, which my daughter would be attending.
Does anyone have any personal experience with the school? Any thoughts on class sizes, the state of the building, caliber of teachers, discipline issues? I know all the stats about the school, but am hoping for some insight from parents. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Hound9p; 11-29-2007 at 06:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 04:35 AM

10 posts, read 62,676 times
Default Fruit Cove Middle School (FCMS)

Hi there. Our two children have attended FCMS and we have been very pleased with what they've gotten out of the school. The quality of the education is good and teachers we had have been strong. The school isn't very old (maybe 6 years?), but 2 years ago, an additional wing was added to accomodate more students due to the development of the area. Not sure if you are interested, but the school began offering a PACE/gifted program 2 years ago offering an alternative to the local kids to stay at their neighborhood school rather than go to Switzerland Point M.S. Another interesting option at the school are some of the electives the kids can take(one is Latin for 8th graders - it helped my high schooler a lot). The PTO is very active and supportive of the teachers and the school. Extracurricular activites offerings are large from clubs to athletics.....Athletics are also complemented by the Creeks Athletic Association (the local community sports program). I'm not aware of any discipline problems at the school.

I hope this helps. Good luck and welcome to St. Johns!

Old 12-03-2007, 03:56 PM

58 posts, read 170,830 times
Very encouraging to hear all that, particularly about the efforts they are making regarding the gifted students program and the range of activities they offer. Thanks very much for the info.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:40 AM

16 posts, read 62,716 times
My kids are currently in the 5th grade at Durbin Creek Elementary and will be going to FCMS next year. Our friends have kids that go to FCMS and they are happy. It is a good school for education. I have heard of a couple of behaviour issues of some kids in the school but the school handeled in a responcible manner. Not over or under reacting. The issues were things that we all have heard that are creeping into middle schools nationwide. I would not discourage you from sending your children to FCMS.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:49 AM

5 posts, read 23,759 times
Hi, Can you please give me more info. on the Pace program. My son is in 6th grade in gifted in south florida. We are relocating in the summer to JCP and I am very concerned about the program compared to here. thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville