Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 12:16 PM

285 posts, read 606,442 times

Advertisements

Pretty cool little review of Jacksonville...

THE NUMBER: America's Best Airport – Erin Burnett OutFront - - CNN.com Blogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 02:36 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times
damn that is two years old! I do love how easy it is to get in and out.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:16 PM

145 posts, read 224,864 times
I loved the rocking chairs. It was a nice touch.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:18 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
damn that is two years old! I do love how easy it is to get in and out.
Agreed - just wish there were more flights from "here to there". OTOH - with DL's expanded service out of Atlanta - it's relatively easy to take a lot of long international "one stop" trips. Robyn

Old 03-31-2014, 04:38 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
I wish there were direct international flights across the Atlantic. Not sure that will ever happen.

The JAX airport reminds me a lot of the old Denver Stapleton airport. It *is* easy to get in and out, and I do like the rocking chairs.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:16 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
Nice airport indeed. Though the INTERNATIONAL is misleading..

Old 04-02-2014, 04:25 PM

285 posts, read 606,442 times
Aren't there very few airports that actually do many international flights? I feel like I've always had to go to New York to get to Europe.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:39 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon4426 View Post
Aren't there very few airports that actually do many international flights? I feel like I've always had to go to New York to get to Europe.
There are shorter connecting hubs from here to Europe. I have flown from Orlando to Gatwick in the UK and from Hartsfield-Jackson as well in Atlanta. When I fly to the Caribbean it's a different story. I have no choice but to connect through MIA in Miami, easily the worst airport in America. I love our little airport but it is not an international airport regardless of the name.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:30 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon4426 View Post
There are between 25 and 30 USA airports with direct, nonstop flights to Europe. When we lived in Denver we used to always have to connect on the east coast, but in 1998, British Airways opened a nonstop route to London out of the old Stapleton airport. Currently Denver has direct and indirect flights to Rome, Paris, Amsterdam, Hong Kong etc. They have come a long way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
There are shorter connecting hubs from here to Europe. I have flown from Orlando to Gatwick in the UK and from Hartsfield-Jackson as well in Atlanta. When I fly to the Caribbean it's a different story. I have no choice but to connect through MIA in Miami, easily the worst airport in America. I love our little airport but it is not an international airport regardless of the name.
Yes I've made the drive to MCO to fly to Europe and also flown from MIA. (I agree with you about MIA, but the flight down there from JAX, all along the coast, is beautiful.)
I've never connected to Europe through ATL, but I did at Memphis, a small and homey airport that reminds me a bit of JAX.
With the consolidation of airlines it might be even tougher for JAX to ever get a real nonstop flight across the Atlantic. We have a lot of natural beauty here, but we don't have Disney, we're not Miami.

It's amazing what can happen when money talks, and political influence exerts itself. Panama City, FL once had a perfectly adequate little regional airport right in town. And these other four other Panhandle airports already existed: Pensacola, Okaloosa in the next county, Ft Walton/Destin, and Tallhassee.
Business interests came up with what they claimed to be a game-changer.
In just a couple years, this new airport was built in Panama City Beach: Northwest Florida International Beaches Airport
There is a runway that can handle big jets, but no nonstop international routes yet.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:50 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
We too have flown MCO to London (on Virgin Atlantic). Worth it at the time (FF tickets) - probably not worth it now were we to go to London again.

My husband and I have been using up our FF miles for the last few years in anticipation of their devaluation. And found Atlanta (Delta) to be a great hub out of JAX. We left our house at perhaps 7 am last year - flew to ATL - and then caught a non-stop to Tokyo. This was our second trip to Tokyo. On our first - we had to fly UA (the old Continental) into Newark - overnight at Newark - and then take a morning flight to Tokyo. This was *much* easier. UA has similar "one stop trips" to Asia from JAX today - but I don't think the hubs (primarily Newark - Washington and Chicago) are as easy/convenient as Atlanta. And it's hard to make "same day" connections out of them (we're going to Singapore on UA this year - and have to catch a 6 am flight to Chicago to make a "same day" connection ).

What's MIA like these days? What's wrong with it? We haven't used it since we moved from Miami almost 20 years ago. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville