Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 07:26 PM

725 posts, read 2,571,302 times

Advertisements

Here we go...thank you Jeff Foxworthy,.. "you might be a redneck ...if go snow skiing in your hunting attire... next...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 08:04 PM

16 posts, read 18,494 times
What are you talking about? All he did was attempt to answer a ridiculous question.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:40 AM

725 posts, read 2,571,302 times
I was trying to define a redneck. I've lived in Jacksonville for over 20 years. I've never given rednecks a thought, ever. I don't see how they impact anyones life. Actually, the topic was yuppies which obviously is as equally hard to define.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:48 AM

16 posts, read 18,494 times
They do not impact my life one way or another either. For the most part, they are friendly anyhow, so I feel like it's a plus for the city of Jacksonville. As for yuppies, I think that there might be a few of them too, but probably far less. I think it is also harder to define a yuppie than a redneck.

Would a yuppie be someone who drives a big SUV and has a nice house? Educated probably, and most likely has a decent job. Perhaps doctors and lawyers? General Contractors/Developers make a lot of money usually. CPA's? Trying to think who else makes a lot of money.. Florida and particularly Jax isnt exactly high paying, so I'm not sure how many yuppies there are..

Old 12-18-2007, 10:16 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,343,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtt View Post
LewLew where are you going? I'd like to come with you! haha
Going West my friend.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdecapio View Post
Just what is the redneck population in JAX? Oftentimes, my friends and family will ask me about life in Jacksonville, and I will usually bring up the redneck population during the initial description. Usually, I will claim that there is a 10-15% population of rednecks here. Am I way off? Was this info included in the 2000 census? I want to present factual info to my friends and family in the northeast, so any help is appreciated!
I don't think you can quantify it. I refer to "them" as rednecks b/c of the lack of innovation, intellect and savvy...not necessarily a "specific" person/people. I throw that term around whenever I meet someone who fell of a turnip truck recently. Thus, I'm not sure...it's just an aura that the area has. It's not everywhere in Jax, but it's prevelent for sure.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since 1972 View Post
If you have to be a Progressive to be a Yuppie, then I'll never be a Yuppie. No big loss.
Yuppie is actually an acronym. It's hard to be a "True" yuppie in Jax, b/c you have to be URBAN. However, progressive thinking is someone who isn't narrow minded, sees the big picture, is engrossed in all that is going on, large scale global issues, and trends. Your quote is my direct issue I brought up in my earlier post. It's the mentality of digression here, and not progression.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatminerz View Post
They do not impact my life one way or another either. For the most part, they are friendly anyhow, so I feel like it's a plus for the city of Jacksonville. As for yuppies, I think that there might be a few of them too, but probably far less. I think it is also harder to define a yuppie than a redneck.

Would a yuppie be someone who drives a big SUV and has a nice house? Educated probably, and most likely has a decent job. Perhaps doctors and lawyers? General Contractors/Developers make a lot of money usually. CPA's? Trying to think who else makes a lot of money.. Florida and particularly Jax isnt exactly high paying, so I'm not sure how many yuppies there are..
A Yuppy is an Urban professional by "definition" however, the term has been loosly definied as someone who is hip/trendy/progressive/intellectual/savvy/etc. That is why the OP asked about Pottery Barn, Starbucks, bookstores, wineries. It is usually defined as someone who is well versed in many "urban" principles and ideals. They like things that are unique yet trendy, hip yet classic, and they could drive anything and be a Yuppie...the funny thing is...most "true" yuppies take public transportation b/c they don't live in Jacksonville. Right now, most yuppies who do drive are driving green, buying green and looking at the gross effects of the bourgeois lifestyle that most of you are unfortunately pegging onto the yuppies.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:32 AM

541 posts, read 2,286,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
A Yuppy is an Urban professional by "definition" however, the term has been loosly definied as someone who is hip/trendy/progressive/intellectual/savvy/etc. That is why the OP asked about Pottery Barn, Starbucks, bookstores, wineries. It is usually defined as someone who is well versed in many "urban" principles and ideals. They like things that are unique yet trendy, hip yet classic, and they could drive anything and be a Yuppie...the funny thing is...most "true" yuppies take public transportation b/c they don't live in Jacksonville. Right now, most yuppies who do drive are driving green, buying green and looking at the gross effects of the bourgeois lifestyle that most of you are unfortunately pegging onto the yuppies.

All good posts on yuppies LewLew.....I will vote for you for mayor too!

Old 12-19-2007, 07:55 AM

227 posts, read 970,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
That's the definition of a Bobo and not a yuppie.

For something so simple, this is a very confusing topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville