Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 12:06 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,635,257 times

Advertisements

OP has gone away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 04:19 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
What's a good tip? I see many people who think that 10% is a good tip. Our norm is 20% for ok service - and higher in places with very low checks - like Waffle House. I don't know hardly any black people - but - when to comes to really old people like my father - they think that 10% is normal. We're embarrassed to leave 10% for average/good service - so now insist on filling out the credit card invoices ourselves even on the rare occasion when my father is picking up a bill. Robyn

Old 05-17-2014, 06:54 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,502,391 times
A rough 20% is normal for me, just because it's easier to double a 10% calculation.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:21 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
--- they think that 10% is normal. We're embarrassed to leave 10% for average/good service ---
I don't blame your parents. In their time, 10% was correct, just as in my time, 15% was said to be correct. Now people say 20% is correct.

I don't know why people think the percentage should ever rise - just sounds like gouging customers... But for me, I will never go above 15% as the norm.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:47 PM

60 posts, read 104,969 times
We typically tip 20%, and about 25% if the service is exceptional. But I don't feel bad about leaving 10% or less for lousy service. OP's guessing game is a really bad idea.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:21 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
I was at a Ruby Tuesdays (I believe) once and before paying my bill I went to the bathroom. I noticed my server came out of the stall and walked straight out, no attempt to wash hands or even feign washing his hands. While his service was okay, I decided to write a note to him and give him no tip at all. I'll bet he learned his lesson.

Beyond that I do 15% for average service and 20-30% for excellent service (ie: genuinely nice, happy to go out of their way for anything outside of the norm, not too pushy and are timely with handing off food and taking it away). I agree that the older folks have a slightly different view on tipping and my Mom (70) pretty much says 15% no matter what.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellokitty4 View Post
We typically tip 20%, and about 25% if the service is exceptional. But I don't feel bad about leaving 10% or less for lousy service. OP's guessing game is a really bad idea.
Don't disagree with your %s. But - although I can say a lot of bad stuff about some of the food I run across here - I can't say the same about service. Which ranges from very good - to really exceptional. I honestly can't recall getting any bad service here. And I am especially impressed by the service I get at what I call "lower end" places - like Waffle House - Golden Corral - etc. Also the old defunct "cafeteria" places like Morrison's (does anyone remember going to places like Morrison's and tipping the person who brought your cafeteria serving tray to your table?). Because the servers in these places work very hard and can't expect much if people tip only on a % basis. Anyway - my husband and I are far from poor. And we probably overtip a whole lot on a % basis at places like this. I guess IMO - if someone has worked hard trying to make me happy - even if the restaurant is cheap - there's a minimum amount I should tip. THE MINIMUM TIP (kind of like the minimum wage).

FWIW - anyone who reads all of my messages (and/or actually knows me) - knows that I'm a pretty conservative person. But conservative doesn't = cheap. And I have a lot of empathy for the working poor - especially women. If anyone is interested in reading about things along these lines - I recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Nickel-Dimed-N.../dp/0312626681

Robyn

Old 05-18-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I was at a Ruby Tuesdays (I believe) once and before paying my bill I went to the bathroom. I noticed my server came out of the stall and walked straight out, no attempt to wash hands or even feign washing his hands. While his service was okay, I decided to write a note to him and give him no tip at all. I'll bet he learned his lesson.

Beyond that I do 15% for average service and 20-30% for excellent service (ie: genuinely nice, happy to go out of their way for anything outside of the norm, not too pushy and are timely with handing off food and taking it away). I agree that the older folks have a slightly different view on tipping and my Mom (70) pretty much says 15% no matter what.
Way to go sport. What about the server/chef who cut himself in the kitchen and bled onto your food? Or the server with lots of stuff (germs/diseases) you can't see? FWIW - I don't touch communal sinks in bathrooms. More germs on them than on my hands. Robyn

Old 05-18-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syfar1673 View Post
My job as a CUSTOMER (I'm not your "guest") is to pay my bill, not to subsidize your earnings with my after-tax dollars in order for you to slyly "underreport" your income (and please don't suggest this doesn't happen anymore, I'm in accounting and finance).

I am supporting an underground economy based on my enabling employers not to pay you what you think you're worth. That's your choice of industry. If you don't like teaching for example, get the hell out of the profession and go find another career.

Let's be clear here. I've heard the gripe from white servers all over the South, that "Blacks don't TIP well". Well, I'm white, and I can tell you without a doubt, that I've seen Black patrons, groups and families actually "automatically" receive inferior SERVICE and/or indifferent ATTITUDES.

Blacks, whites and browns aren't stupid. Don't take your customers for granted. Don't assume anything- just do your job fairly and with respect.

We don't OWE you for a damn thing. Serving food and drinks is an honorable job, but thinking you DESERVE to be subsidized based on the amount of my expenditure is wrong-headed.

Stop being a redneck or a secret kluxer sympathizer and simply treat people like you want to be treated. The tipping issue will "disappear" in your own head.
You are so totally out of date with how tip income based on sales has to be reported to the IRS.

Also - my husband and I generally tip on the basis of the pre-tax bill. Especially when our dining bill is > $100. But not at low priced spread places. Do you honestly sit there figuring out whether the correct tip is $1.17 or $1.35?

So let me get your position straight. You resent servers for complaining about bad tippers. But also resent servers because they expect to be tipped properly if they provide adequate or better service? Sounds like a lose/lose POV to me. Perhaps you should just stay home and cook your own meals? Robyn

Old 05-19-2014, 06:40 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Way to go sport. What about the server/chef who cut himself in the kitchen and bled onto your food? Or the server with lots of stuff (germs/diseases) you can't see? FWIW - I don't touch communal sinks in bathrooms. More germs on them than on my hands. Robyn
Oh don't get me started. I've become a Class A Germaphobe lately. Seeing a server grab your glass close to the rim with his/her bare (likely unwashed) hands, the communal salt/pepper/ketchup, disgusting menus.....etc. Forget the bathrooms, I don't touch much of anything with my hands if I can help it, including using my wallet to go in, flushing with my foot (or elbow), and then using the paper towel to grab the door handle to go out.

Regardless, a server not washing his hands could be grounds for a fine and that was as heinous of an offense as I've seen before. Some things I'd just rather not know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville