Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 08:58 AM

297 posts, read 573,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
LOL! Getting anywhere @ 5:30 is likely a breeze, how realistic is that, no one wants to get up @ 4:30 to get ready to go to work.
Did you miss the part where the OP said she'd be leaving at 5:30 or 6?

It only takes my husband 15 minutes to get ready for work, so I'd hardly call that unrealistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 04:42 PM

27 posts, read 31,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeni View Post
Mopsy, would you say the commute to NAS is reasonable? I would probably be going early in the morning (5:30 or 6 am) and getting done around 4:30. The lifestyle really does look nice there. Do you have kids in the schools there? What do you think of them?

Deeni I work from home so am very fortunate I don't have to commute. My husband is still in the process of finding a job so isn't commuting at this time. Our children are grown and out on their own so I can't really say what the schools are like. Sorry I am not much help in the information department.

I do like the lifestyle here. To me and this is just my opinion, it feels like living in a small town but with access to most things that are important to me. I am not sure where NAS is so I don't have any idea what a commute there would be like. However my husband and I have ventured out to many different areas around Jax and interstate access is really not that far for us. We are strongly considering buying a home in this area in the near future.

I do wish you luck with your house hunt and finding the right place for you and your family.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:02 PM

403 posts, read 935,784 times
Thank you for all of the great advice. I really appreciate all of the input. I definitely feel ready to go down and see things for myself if only my HR office would hurry up!

Old 02-20-2015, 11:35 AM

87 posts, read 168,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsy View Post
My husband and I just moved here 6 months ago and we live in Oakleaf. We are a good 8 miles from blanding so the traffic in our area is not bad at all. We can take a few different ways to get to either end of blanding depending where on blanding we are headed. We actaully live only 6 miles from the Wal Mart in Middleberg and 3 miles from a target.

I do agree with one of the other posters that blanding is a nightmare at times. It is very very busy! But that in and of itself does not take away from enjoying living in Oakleaf. There are some very nice homes at a decent price in this area and it feels safe.
I live in Two Creeks, which is just on the other side of Jennings State Forest from Oakleaf. It is very possible to avoid Blanding Blvd traffic and get to NAS Jax.

We moved in December 2014 (just over a year ago) and looked at several houses in Oakleaf, most in Eagle Harbor. We decided against Oakleaf as a whole because of the number of "For Sale" and "For Rent" houses in the more built out areas.

We previously lived in Port St Lucie, FL, which in 2004 was the "fastest growing city in the US" and was hit very hard by the real estate crash. We took a financial hit. For both financial and psychological reasons, we craved a stable community.

We looked at new builds and got very lucky to find a model home that was ready at approximately the time we needed it.

Two Creeks and the community further down Tynes Blvd (sorry but the name escapes me) both have a good number of people that work at NAS Jax living here. Both communities have full clubhouses, play grounds, zero entry pools with kid friendly fountain features. Have your realtor check with the builders for new homes that may be ready now or soon.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:48 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,340,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineNic View Post
I live in Two Creeks, which is just on the other side of Jennings State Forest from Oakleaf. It is very possible to avoid Blanding Blvd traffic and get to NAS Jax.
Please explain how you "avoid" Blanding Blvd (Florida Highway 21). and still get to NAS Jax from Two Creeks. And remember Blanding Blvd goes from US 17, in the north all the way down to Florida Highway 20 near Hawthorne, Florida to the south.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:49 AM

87 posts, read 168,701 times
Brannon Field Road to Argyle to Wells to 295. I avoid Blanding at all costs. I have only been in this area for a year and I commute to downtown. I will be first to admit that I don't know all of the ins and outs of getting around. I rely on my GPS, but I have figured out how to never use Blanding.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:02 PM

ChristineNic, how reliable is your GPS in Jax area? I rely heavily on GPS as my sense of direction is pretty much non existent. Does the GPS get the roads confused? When I try to use mine in downtown Philadelphia, it is AWFUL. I would be better off getting out a Rand McNally and compass.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:52 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,340,205 times
Quote:
ChristineNic, how reliable is your GPS in Jax area? I rely heavily on GPS as my sense of direction is pretty much non existent. Does the GPS get the roads confused? When I try to use mine in downtown Philadelphia, it is AWFUL. I would be better off getting out a Rand McNally and compass.
Evidently her GPS is royally screwed up if she doesn't think she uses/crosses Blanding Blvd at all. As the only way to get from Argyle Forest Blvd to Wells Rd is to travel 1/2 mile south on Blanding Blvd.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:10 PM

I just wanted to say thanks for all of the input on this thread and to update on where we decided to land. After touring around both JCP and Fleming Island, we really decided that Fleming Island had the laid back feel that we liked. I love that it seemed to have the benefits of a friendly small town and the communities were so nicely landscaped and well kept. One negative was the lack of a good shopping mall nearby. We went to Orange Park Mall and I doubt we will spend much time there. While we don't spend a whole lot of time at the mall, we are used to having many malls to choose from within a short driving distance. Also, I can see how the area could get boring. But overall we really loved it. Saint Johns seemed too sterile for us. It seemed to lack personality. So we put in an offer on a house in FIP and are hoping it goes through without any issues

Old 03-26-2015, 04:50 AM

297 posts, read 573,441 times
Quote:
I just wanted to say thanks for all of the input on this thread and to update on where we decided to land. After touring around both JCP and Fleming Island, we really decided that Fleming Island had the laid back feel that we liked. I love that it seemed to have the benefits of a friendly small town and the communities were so nicely landscaped and well kept. One negative was the lack of a good shopping mall nearby. We went to Orange Park Mall and I doubt we will spend much time there. While we don't spend a whole lot of time at the mall, we are used to having many malls to choose from within a short driving distance. Also, I can see how the area could get boring. But overall we really loved it. Saint Johns seemed too sterile for us. It seemed to lack personality. So we put in an offer on a house in FIP and are hoping it goes through without any issues
Good luck! You will love Fleming Island.

I know what you mean about malls. I'm from NJ and lived 10-15 minutes from great malls. I never go to Orange Park Mall. If I need to do serious shopping, I go to St. Johns Town Center. If I need a household item that I can't find at Target, I buy it from Amazon.

I hope everything goes smoothly for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville