Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 10:40 AM

20 posts, read 28,897 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to Florida by the beginning of next year. Our house is about to sell and we will be living with in laws to save the money for the moving expenses. (Selling the house zeroed us out ) I understand to find a job before moving down. I will be about to start my masters in social work and hope to get a job as a case manager for children's home. That being said I had a couple questions about location. Our budget is about 1000/mo in rent.

I'm looking for a safe area- I understand some crime but basic property crime not violent or many drug related. Decent schools, the schools here are rated 3-5 and I do believe that a child can do well in a lower rated school. Just no 1,2 rated schools.

We are moving, because we want to. It's always been something we wanted to try. And we wanted to try while our girls are young (5&2). And if we don't like it, well we tried.

We would feel most comfortable in a town of 15-30k. Within a thirty minute drive to big city. And I would like to be within 45 minutes to a beach.

Any suggestions on where to look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 11:44 AM

1,905 posts, read 2,790,135 times
Mandarin is nice but you may have to raise your budget a little.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:31 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
What does a town of 15k-30k feel like? Is that really rural, farmland type place? Or is it just a smaller beach town with not a lot of land?

I think you should check out Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island. It's a small, charming, artsy, town with a nice historic town center, and basically on the ocean. 30-45 min drive to Jacksonville city center.

Generally speaking, if you look 30-45 minutes north and south of Jax you'll be able to find less dense towns with cheap, large land. The really rural parts of Jax are west of the city, but then you'll probably be over 45 min from the beach.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:11 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,340,205 times
Look in Yulee, FL. or maybe Hilliard, FL.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:13 AM

20 posts, read 28,897 times
The town I live in now is not rural. It is a suburb type feeling but is thirty minutes from big city. It movie theater and superwalmart. I'll look into those towns. Thanks!

Old 03-17-2015, 09:10 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,340,205 times
You're wanting a suburb of Jacksonville, not a separate small town? Jacksonville takes up about 90% of Duval county and is the largest city area wise in the continental USA with almost 900 sq. miles and with about 850,000 residents ranking it as the 13th largest city, population wise in the US. The only small towns in Duval county that are not part of Jacksonville (per se) are Atlantic Beach, Neptune Beach Jacksonville Beach and the small unincorporated town of Baldwin. The schools here in Duval county are not that good figure maybe a c+ grade on average, while the schools in St Johns county are A rated and ranked #1 in the state of Florida, while both Nassau county and Clay county schools are both also A rated but not as numerically high as St Johns county schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville