Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 06:25 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times

Advertisements

We're not interested in Riverwood or any age restricted neighborhood, more interested in blending in. If not Nocatee, where is there a neighborhood for all ages, one where we wouldn't be the stand out seniors? It would be a second home for us. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 08:17 AM

93 posts, read 158,317 times
I'd say you wouldn't "stick out" in any neighborhood in Ponte Vedra Beach (32082 zip). While there are tons of families here now, I'm pretty sure the average age is still pretty high. I can't think of a single neighborhood where you would not find many retirees. With the possible exception of Odom's Mill, probably just because of the (comparatively) lower house prices and proximity to the elementary and middle schools.

I don't live in Nocatee, so I can't really answer your question. I will say that my perception is that it's mostly young families and very few retirees. But I have no real evidence of that.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:40 AM

Thank you, Jessica.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:53 AM

222 posts, read 425,665 times
You will find retirees in Nocatee and most other communities in the area. Nocatee has a Del Wood 55+ community within it; I know that doesn't interest you but there are also retirees throughout other Nocatee communities as well as in Julington Creek Plantation, Durbin Crossing, Cimarrone, St. Johns Golf & Country, St. Augustine, Ponte Vedra Beach neighborhoods, etc. In very general terms most retirees in the area have chosen to downsize so as you look at neighborhoods that have a mix of small and large homes you are very likely to find a mix of young families, middle agers and retirees. I don't think you will feel as if you stand out as retirees at all!

Good luck!

Old 07-19-2015, 08:11 PM

2 posts, read 8,864 times
Smile Neighborhoods

I retired here from Dallas, Tx and the landscape is so different. Lots and lots of trees that are over 25ft tall. Not like the scrubs and mesquite in Dallas.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 1,952 times
As a retiree we live in Durbin Crossing and hindsight says we would have moved to a different area. 95% of the homes are young families with 2+ kids. (In the five homes closets to us their are 15 young children ranging in age from 1 to 16. We are definitely seniors here and feel the difference daily.

Ages range mainly from early 30's to mid 40's. On our street there are only a handful of people 55+.

HOA rules are not that strictly enforced, it is not gated, anyone can park on the street, and many do, which detracts from the neighborhood making it appear more urban than rural and where people have so much stuff in their garages they can't use them. Thus mammoth SUV's, boats and cars clog the driveways.

Don't get me wrong, they are all wonderful families, just not the place for 55+ with more refined tastes and higher expectations.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:48 AM

112 posts, read 259,494 times
How locked in to the Jacksonville area are you?

Old 07-21-2015, 11:45 AM

49 posts, read 174,341 times
Many seniors are also choosing the Key West style homes close to Town center area of Nocatee. Smaller yard, but still brand new homes in good area. As mentioned, anywhere in Ponte Vedra Beach is also good. Price point will be higher in PVB though.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:51 AM

222 posts, read 425,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover73 View Post
As a retiree we live in Durbin Crossing and hindsight says we would have moved to a different area. 95% of the homes are young families with 2+ kids. (In the five homes closets to us their are 15 young children ranging in age from 1 to 16. We are definitely seniors here and feel the difference daily.

Ages range mainly from early 30's to mid 40's. On our street there are only a handful of people 55+.

HOA rules are not that strictly enforced, it is not gated, anyone can park on the street, and many do, which detracts from the neighborhood making it appear more urban than rural and where people have so much stuff in their garages they can't use them. Thus mammoth SUV's, boats and cars clog the driveways.

Don't get me wrong, they are all wonderful families, just not the place for 55+ with more refined tastes and higher expectations.
Your street in Durbin Crossing has a very different demographic than mine. Of the14 houses closest to mine in DC, seven of them are owned by people over age 55. Some are retired, others still working. A few of them are involved in the neighborhood "mature adult" social groups. The youngest on our street is just over a year old, the oldest are in their 70s and every decade in between is represented. It is a great mix of people of all ages and experiences.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithshoe View Post
Many seniors are also choosing the Key West style homes close to Town center area of Nocatee. Smaller yard, but still brand new homes in good area. As mentioned, anywhere in Ponte Vedra Beach is also good. Price point will be higher in PVB though.
Where can I get more information on the homes close to Town Center, Keith? Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville