Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 12:49 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,152,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Doesn't it bother you that people are getting murdered at an alarming rate? Just because they are African American and in the north/northwest/west section of the city and you are unlikely to get killed doesn't make it any better.
Are you only looking to move to Jacksonville or are you also researching surrounding areas like Atlantic Beach, Neptune Beach, Jax Beach, Ponte Vedra Beach (PVB) etc??

You have to keep in mind that Jacksonville is a huge city (885 square miles) and is 17 times bigger than Buffalo (52 square miles).

To put Jacksonville's murder/crime rate in perspective (11 murders per 100k people), we moved from a quiet upper middle class suburb in northern NJ and were within 20-25 miles of high crime/murder rate cities like Paterson (16 murders per 100k) and Newark (33 murders per 100k). Sure it bothered me to hear about the murders in Paterson & Newark but we lived far enough away that we would never be affected by it. Same thing here. You go 10-20 miles outside of the most dangerous area of Jacksonville and it's a completely different world.

We've only been in PVB for 9 months but we love it here thus far. We also have other friends that moved from NJ to Jacksonville (~15 miles east of the high crime area) and they very much enjoy it here.

FYI, Buffalo's murder rate is 23 per 100k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 12:52 PM

6,420 posts, read 4,913,806 times
I am far from a "paranoid old guy". My wife and I spend time in Colombia which is certainly not the safest place in the world. We also live in Buffalo NY which is up there in the crime and murder statistics. I never said Buffalo was safe and I avoid the "bad areas". We were hoping to avoid that situation when we moved. We looked at PVB and its very safe and was one of the areas we considered. Its just that we don't live in a vacuum and one day we might have occasion to go to Jacksonville for a cultural event or some other reason and I don't want to fear for my life. I have lived here most of my life and know which areas to avoid. The city of Buffalo is maybe 1/17 the size of Jacksonville but that does not encompass the suburbs where many people live.

Last edited by Thundarr457; 05-16-2016 at 01:00 PM..

Old 05-16-2016, 12:58 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,369,560 times
Quote:
I am far from a "paranoid old guy". My wife and I spend time in Colombia which is certainly not the safest place in the world. We also live in Buffalo NY which is up there in the crime and murder statistics.
Great, sounds like Jax will be a huge upgrade for you. Welcome!

Old 05-16-2016, 01:24 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,869 times
I think the crime in Jax is overblown, but now watch something happen to me since I said that.

But I've never had problems in living in Avondale or when passing through the other neighborhoods either. My fiancé and I do a lot of walking in the evenings too. We frequently walk from the west side of Avondale all the way to five points in Riverside at night. Although mostly in the winter months, when it gets darker earlier. It's still light out when we do it this time of year. When I bought here, I made sure to research the neighborhoods because I do like to walk for exercise.

Looking at that map, there's been about 4 or 5 murders in my neighborhood in the last 10 years. And by neighborhood, I mean within a mile or so. Not on my block. Although there was one a block away from me, but I remember neighbors who had lived there then telling me it was a person that the guy knew that came in and shot him. Not a random break in and murder. None of them seem to be random.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:10 AM

593 posts, read 668,021 times
Jax undoubtedly has a lot of murders, but very few of them are random. Like others have already stated its largely in the N/NW section, and even when its not, its targeted. On a day to day basis the murders here will have zero effect on your life. Search google for 2016 homicide tracker by Florida Times Union. This tracker keeps stats and demographics on all murders in Jax. 81%-83% of all homicides are young black males who are shot. I'm not trying to downplay the loss of life but most of it is just your standard urban ghetto violence that you will find in most cities across the nation. Its a perpetual cycle that has been going on for decades and will likely continue for decades.

Those of us who work a normal job and don't sell drugs or join a gang have a very small chance of being a victim in Jax. As for the freeway shooting going on now, yes that is 100% random. Thankfully its only an airsoft gun, but hopefully whoever is behind this is caught very soon.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:51 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,054,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
You're talking about isolated incidents that all happened in one day where there were no actual homicides. This thread is about Jax homicides for all of 2016 thus far.

Crime is a part of living in a bigger metropolitan city. To be shocked or surprised that there are going to be murders in a city like Jacksonville is being very naive. So while you use the term "downplay" when talking about crime, I say it's "expected" and the "norm" for there to be crime in big cities. And of course as the population rises these figures will tend to go higher. None of this surprises me one bit, nor does it frighten me at all. I don't gang-bang, I don't drive angry, I don't cause fights........the odds of me getting shot and killed by some random act of violence are probably less than getting struck by lightning.

Sorry...northern CO......how could I forget?
San Diego is one large city that has hardly any crime. They've only had like 5 murders so far this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
Are you only looking to move to Jacksonville or are you also researching surrounding areas like Atlantic Beach, Neptune Beach, Jax Beach, Ponte Vedra Beach (PVB) etc??

You have to keep in mind that Jacksonville is a huge city (885 square miles) and is 17 times bigger than Buffalo (52 square miles).

To put Jacksonville's murder/crime rate in perspective (11 murders per 100k people), we moved from a quiet upper middle class suburb in northern NJ and were within 20-25 miles of high crime/murder rate cities like Paterson (16 murders per 100k) and Newark (33 murders per 100k). Sure it bothered me to hear about the murders in Paterson & Newark but we lived far enough away that we would never be affected by it. Same thing here. You go 10-20 miles outside of the most dangerous area of Jacksonville and it's a completely different world.

We've only been in PVB for 9 months but we love it here thus far. We also have other friends that moved from NJ to Jacksonville (~15 miles east of the high crime area) and they very much enjoy it here.

FYI, Buffalo's murder rate is 23 per 100k.
Good point. I live in PVB and I don't even notice JAX having crime unless I watch the First Coast News.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:58 AM

140 posts, read 168,075 times
Quote:
Its just that we don't live in a vacuum and one day we might have occasion to go to Jacksonville for a cultural event or some other reason and I don't want to fear for my life.
Ok that's not normal... Crime happening in the hood won't have any effect on cultural events... I think you should be more concerned about terorist attracks since they are the ones happening in cultural events, they are very unpredictable, unavoidable and targeted against a large number of innocent ppl unlike gang violence. however you can avoid most day to day crimes and live a safe life here in Jax, I think that's what people are trying to say... yours seems more like a personal issue.

Last edited by Jada_yel; 05-27-2016 at 10:09 AM..

Old 05-28-2016, 06:31 PM

Jacksonville not even in the top 10 most dangerous cities in Florida: Here Are The 10 Most Dangerous Towns In Florida To Live In

Old 05-28-2016, 07:48 PM

8,952 posts, read 20,376,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Jacksonville not even in the top 10 most dangerous cities in Florida: Here Are The 10 Most Dangerous Towns In Florida To Live In
No matter what that says, Jax is still a dangerous place. I talked to someone, on another forum website, that lived here for 5 years and she totally agreed and that was why her and her husband moved.
Earlier this year the JSO Chief talked about the high crime here. There were also some people, who live on the north side, who talked about the high crime in their neighborhoods.
These people should know what they are talking about.

But, then again, Jax, perhaps Jax is the safest city in the U.S.!

Old 05-28-2016, 08:40 PM

So instead of relying on actual crime statistics you choose to focus on what someone on a message board told you about why they moved away? Another of your posts talked about you hearing of a single incident several years ago near you and based on that you find Jax "dangerous."

I hope folks reading this understand the source here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville