Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 07:30 PM

542 posts, read 702,303 times

Advertisements

There are rats here on Amelia island. I do not know officially what type of rat they are but there are plenty of them. I heard someone call them marsh rats but I think people are just naming them after where they see them, tree rat, fruit rat, roof rat. whatever, it is a rat. I came from Vermont where mice are everywhere but I had never come across a rat. Moved down here and I have never seen a mouse but there are plenty of rats. For several years I lived in my boat at the marina when I returned after the summer, there were 3 rats living in it. Which sucked as I did not know they were there till the lights went out and I was in bed. Come to find out they will get in the boats through vents and other openings. I would see them on the dock at night. That was first experience with the island rats. I then had a number of times I saw them in broad daylight out in the neighborhood in our historic district. eventually I bought a house in the center of the island. Guess what was living in the attic? My old friends the rats. So there are plenty here. They are smarter then mice, Much more wary of traps, although I have caught a bunch in standard traps. Poison works best but it takes awhile for them to die so if you hear one in the wall or up above it may be rattling around awhile before it eats enough to keel over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 04:15 PM

375 posts, read 444,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarpeg View Post
There are rats here on Amelia island. I do not know officially what type of rat they are but there are plenty of them. I heard someone call them marsh rats but I think people are just naming them after where they see them, tree rat, fruit rat, roof rat. whatever, it is a rat. I came from Vermont where mice are everywhere but I had never come across a rat. Moved down here and I have never seen a mouse but there are plenty of rats. For several years I lived in my boat at the marina when I returned after the summer, there were 3 rats living in it. Which sucked as I did not know they were there till the lights went out and I was in bed. Come to find out they will get in the boats through vents and other openings. I would see them on the dock at night. That was first experience with the island rats. I then had a number of times I saw them in broad daylight out in the neighborhood in our historic district. eventually I bought a house in the center of the island. Guess what was living in the attic? My old friends the rats. So there are plenty here. They are smarter then mice, Much more wary of traps, although I have caught a bunch in standard traps. Poison works best but it takes awhile for them to die so if you hear one in the wall or up above it may be rattling around awhile before it eats enough to keel over.
The marsh rat is probably a nutria. They are pretty large and live in burrows along water banks. This is probably not what OP is referring to though.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:36 PM

Well maybe that is what locals call marsh rats, but these were actual rats. I just looked up rats of Florida and I am going to guess they were wood rats. The reason is one day I went looking for the curtain ties and could not find them. Looked everywhere. Could not figure out what happened to them, blamed the wife. 2 years later I happen to take apart the steering console to get at some wiring and low and behold there they all are. Seemed like they were at the beginning of becoming a makeshift nest for Mr & Mrs. Rat. See below:

Wood Rats aren’t as common as Roof Rats or Norway Rats, but they are found in northern parts of Florida. They can be a real nuisance due to the fact that they not only eat food and leave droppings around the house, but also steal small items, which is why they are often called “Pack Rats.”

Old 03-14-2017, 06:37 PM

The Roof Rat is the most common type of rat found in south Florida. Roof Rats are identified by a number of different names, including Palm Rats, Fruit Rats, Citrus Rats, and Black Rats. For the most part, they are vegetarian—although they will eat almost anything that is available. Female Roof Rats can produce as many as 20 offspring within a year, and they tend to live between two to three years, which is why you’ll want to get rid of them as soon as you identify them.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:35 PM

695 posts, read 997,850 times
Those "attic" varmints are everywhere. I had an apartment in an older building here in SE Michigan years ago (3 stories with an attic), and heard the tell-tale signs of scampering feet in the attic. Squirrels got in and were setting up house and breeding. They are just furry tree rats anyway, maybe less scary, but just as destructive. Had to get an exterminator to set traps. What a mess! In that same building, bats got into my apartment (squeezed in between the brick exterior and old window frame). Bats only need a 1/2" space to squeeze through, apparently. Caught one flying around my bedroom one night. Ugh! Batted it down with a broom. No more "historic" buildings for me!

Old 06-08-2017, 10:42 PM

628 posts, read 695,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olderandwiser456 View Post
Those "attic" varmints are everywhere. I had an apartment in an older building here in SE Michigan years ago (3 stories with an attic), and heard the tell-tale signs of scampering feet in the attic. Squirrels got in and were setting up house and breeding. They are just furry tree rats anyway, maybe less scary, but just as destructive. Had to get an exterminator to set traps. What a mess! In that same building, bats got into my apartment (squeezed in between the brick exterior and old window frame). Bats only need a 1/2" space to squeeze through, apparently. Caught one flying around my bedroom one night. Ugh! Batted it down with a broom. No more "historic" buildings for me!
==================================================

I was born in St Augustine, Fl. I left when I was 9 years old.
I never heard of roof rats, wow, I am glad.
Sounds SCARY!

Old 06-11-2017, 06:39 PM

633 posts, read 1,012,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonvilleNative View Post
I don't know what a roof rat is and the only "tree rat" I know of is actually a squirrel.
Exactly my thought! Need to keep all trees cut back from the house. Top priority.

Why do you need citrus trees? There are grocery stores.

We had squirrels in one house. $15K of damage in the attic, wires, all insulation had to be removed. New insulation blown in, etc. Any type of "varmint" that can get into your house is not a joke. Just saying. There won't be any fruit trees in my yard when I get to Fla... LOL... just saying...

Old 06-27-2017, 03:13 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,245,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBToast View Post
My husband and I have been researching retirement in FL for a couple years and had pretty much decided on the southwest coast. However, I just learned there is a bad roof rat problem. We never saw rats on visits but then we were not out at night looking up at wires. St. Augustine is also on our list, are the rats a problem here? Are you also unable to plant a citrus tree in your yard? Thanks in advance for any thoughts/experience on the subject!

PBToast
Roof rats no, beach rats, yes.

SS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville