Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:10 AM

754 posts, read 2,814,332 times

Advertisements

Dude, I'm not comatose. I just don't have the same tax problem as you do. If and when I do, I'm sure I'll be as hopping mad as you are and looking to rectify the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 01:17 PM

6 posts, read 12,255 times
Default did all the community math and coj calls

I hope you are correct. That this is some isolated bizarre formula toward this condo complex area, which would explain no unusual concerns at large.

I was hoping others would have some specific numbers or percentages for comparison to see their own changes, if any.

I agree with your comment about recent sales and have said here that the appraisers office would go by recent sales. They have stated the same to me. That they go by 2007 sales for the 2008 valuations. But, they did not use those 2007 sales prices. I have them, the actual amount of dollars per sale. They didn't use them.

What I am failing to get across, it seems, is that this new 2008 phenomena isn't specific to my unit, it is happening to every unit ...all 320. The smaller units are getting a little over $25,000.00 increase in valuation. The larger are getting close to the same amount of increase, regardless of what their previous assessments were. The neighboring condo complex (much older) is appearing to have the same problem.

They (coj) have a full year of sales (2007) to review. If the sales prices don't justify the amount they assess the units, then they (BY LAW) have to have legitimate criteria to place the new assessment higher than the actual sales data.

They are not willing to explain what they are using. They make the change a matter of public record (which will affect those trying to sell their homes) but they won't reveal to the public what they used to formulate the increases.

Coj substantially increased all the units' valuations, while the actual sales for 2007 were substantially lower than 2006 or 2005, and substantially lower than the new valuations.

You suggest I take it up with them. I did through a series of calls a few weeks ago. Stonewalled.

I am not going to beat a dead horse here. It was an attempt to learn if anyone else was having a similar issue when reviewing their new taxable values. Condescening?, perhaps, but definitely frustrating if no one is paying attention to these changes.

On my tax property page they show the 'new market value' assessed amount (taxable value) ,... then they subtract the amount for the homestead exemption, and that leaves the taxable amount for the mil. I see the same on other properties here. Pretty straightforward math. I'll get a property appraiser involved, since there isn't a general concern underway.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:33 PM

75 posts, read 203,965 times
PFT46, I just want to commend you on your research.Bravo!While things get tight for most of us out here our city does not seem to want to give us a break or tighten their belts. Make some more rules! Post some more signs! I went down to the boat landing with my neighbor and there was a sign that said we had to get a permit to use the picnik area! Why? There is alot of waste in our system but for some reason it just keeps going on. Maybe it's time for some new faces downtown! I'll be looking for my Tax bill. It better not have gone up 25,000$ I just had an appraisal that was 16% below last years! Hang in there!

Old 03-26-2008, 09:21 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pft46 View Post

I am not going to beat a dead horse here. It was an attempt to learn if anyone else was having a similar issue when reviewing their new taxable values.
What do your neighbors say? If everyone's unit is going up and it is believed to be in error, aren't they getting upset too?

Old 03-27-2008, 05:27 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
I checked my tax bill and the valuation hasn't changed since last year. I'm guessing that Clay County does the recalculating just before they send out the "estimates" in August?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville