Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 06:39 AM

110 posts, read 146,340 times

Advertisements

Well, I am about to stir the pot with a really big spoon here, but I have to ask...anyone who lives in PVB really annoyed that realtors and builders are listing Nocatee and other PV properties as PVB? The zip is different, the schools are different and the value/resale is drastically different - anyone else get the feeling that these production builders are misleading thousands of relocation families into believing that these areas are the "same" as PVB? When I get on Realtor, Zillow or MLS and see "123 Happy Street, Ponte Vedra Beach, 32081" I want to scream "stop misguiding folks!"

32081 IS NOT PVB - and they are doing it all the time now. Curious, am I the only one that gets really PO'd at the deception that is being used to attract these poor people from other parts of the country since we seem to be attracting new transplants from every corner of the USA? When I speak with people and tell them about our entire county, the growth, the schools, their budgets, beach vs. river areas, I at least feel like I am being honest and showing them every option. This nonsense of posting Nocatee as PVB makes me feel like they are dropping a buyer at the big water park and then short changing the client's buying options by convincing them that they are "at the beach" - then they get here and some are thrilled and some are not....

I could ramble for a while, but really I just want to know if I am the only PVB person that gets annoyed by this lie being used for sales?

Last edited by Jax2PVB; 04-29-2018 at 07:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 07:49 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,149,489 times
No, you're definitely not the only one (drives my wife crazy) and the MLS listings are definitely misleading. . You can ask anyone in my development here in Palm Valley and they all shake their heads about it. They also named the new Nocatee K-8 school, Palm Valley Academy...

Old 04-29-2018, 08:50 AM

6,408 posts, read 4,901,771 times
A lot of people don't realize its 2 different areas. Its like Jax and Jax Beach, St Pete and St Pete Beach, Clearwater and Clearwater Beach, Miami and Miami Beach, Ft Myers and Fort Myers Beach and on and on. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. PVB has almost no new housing or places to build them. If folks want a new house in a development than Nocatee and others are fine. Its obvious its not on or close to the beach so what difference does it make?

Old 04-29-2018, 10:33 PM

93 posts, read 158,233 times
Everyone I know who lives in Nocatee refers to where they live as Nocatee, not as Ponte Vedra. So all the confusion about PV vs. PVB is so unnecessary. They should have just called the area Nocatee, or some other name.

I agree it's weird that the new school is called Palm Valley Academy when it's not in Palm Valley. Of course, neither is PVPV.

I don't think anyone is confused and buying a house in Nocatee thinking they're buying in PVB. If they're looking at the new housing developments in Nocatee, they have no reason to assume that area is like another nearby area with a similar name.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:21 AM

410 posts, read 602,161 times
Yes, you are correct--- a quick search on realtor.com returns dozens and dozens of current listings when you type in "Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32081".

Ponte Vedra Beach - 32081

Part of the problem is that this area doesn't really have defined suburbs with their own unique school district, so the cities and zip codes within the county get kind of mucked up.

Also, the county rezones the schools annually, so when you say "the schools are different", that's not really true. Its a county based curriculum, and the schools in 32081 and 32082 are rated the same.

Yesterday I went to check out the new Beachwalk community over near 210 and 95, way inland from the beach. I was just being a lookie lou, as I have no intention of moving there. However, did you know that the Beachwalk community (again NO WHERE near PVB), is currently zoned for Ocean Palms Elementary and Alice Landrum Middle School?). 2 schools in the heart of PVB. It doesn't matter what your zip code is in the county, you attend the school you are zoned for, which they do based on a projected head count and availability. Nocatee kids went to PVPV for many years until Nocatee got their schools up and running.

I'm in the 32259 part of St. Johns County, and after living here multiple years I don't actually know the official city I live in. I have received mail addressed as "Saint Johns, FL 32259" "Jacksonville, FL 32259" and "Fruit Cove, FL 32259". Do I care? Not really.

I'm going to mail something to my buddy over in Nocatee and address it as "Ponte Vedra Beach,Fl 32081" and see if he gets it. Betcha he does.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:29 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,149,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants6 View Post
However, did you know that the Beachwalk community (again NO WHERE near PVB), is currently zoned for Ocean Palms Elementary and Alice Landrum Middle School?). 2 schools in the heart of PVB.
Yup, many folks in Palm Valley are aware. Many parents were happy to hear OPE's head count was going down by 300-400 when they eventually pull all of the Nocatee kids out of there but now this. The new "Palm Valley Academy" is already out of room from what I understand and the school has yet to open. I get it, they can only build for the tax base already established but there's got to be another way to plan for eventual growth but I digress...

Old 04-30-2018, 05:45 AM

410 posts, read 602,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
Yup, many folks in Palm Valley are aware. Many parents were happy to hear OPE's head count was going down by 300-400 when they eventually pull all of the Nocatee kids out of there but now this. The new "Palm Valley Academy" is already out of room from what I understand and the school has yet to open. I get it, they can only build for the tax base already established but there's got to be another way to plan for eventual growth but I digress...
Well, you may be in luck! I just checked the 2018-19 school zoning locator and it looks like the Beachwalk will be zoned for the schools over near Palencia. Its just this year they are Ocean Palms/Alice Landrum. However when I asked the sales agent if anyone actually lived in Beachwalk yet she said no (a handful of houses besides the models looked complete or at least close), they were waiting on the sewer and water lines, which are supposed to be in by the end of May. So while Beachwalk are zoned for PVB schools this year, no kids actually live in the neighborhood to attend them. And by the time anyone moves in, it will be summertime.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:58 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,351,427 times
I've tried to politely correct realtors when they post "PVB" vs "PV" on Facebook real estate sites and nearly every time I'm met with some form of hostility. So I'm left to believe they are, in fact, actively trying to deceive folks into thinking Nocatee and some of the neighborhoods down Philips Highway are "beach" communities. I have to laugh at a lot of other postings where some will claim a home is "ten minutes from the beach" and it's west of 295.

When we were first looking in the area I actually thought Nocatee was the name of the city due to it's size and they way it shows up on many listings.

I agree with Giants6......we're in the same neighborhood and I'm pretty sure we're considered "St Johns"; however, you could list Jacksonville, Fruit Cove, St Augustine or even Switzerland and probably still get your mail delivered here.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:17 AM

661 posts, read 866,748 times
I wonder if all the Jax Beach locals are up in arms for those few addresses on San Pablo that are labeled as Jax Beach. How embarrassing it must be.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:04 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,351,427 times
Hey, I lived on the border of a major metropolitan city and a not-so-desirable suburb for many years and *always* listed the big city as my address even though I was technically in the 'burb. Can't blame homeowners for trying to up their address creds! But realtors/builders doing it is another story and I believe was the spirit of this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville