Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 07:17 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nike M View Post
Can you tell more about Duval schools?
Hmm, I dont know too much about it system-wide. It is around the 20th largest district in the country so we are painting with a broad brush when we say it isn't great. Overall it really isn't, especially compared to all of its surrounding neighbors, but there are obviously good and bad parts that can be navigated. Some neighborhood schools are quite good, many are not. There is also a very large magnet system, with specialty schools serving the entire county, and these magnets are generally high performing. There are also an increasing number of charter schools in Duval...some that are very impressive, and others that from the outside have looked very corrupt and failed.

Quote:
The best location would be to commute against the traffic. You mentioned that Duval schools are not recommended, so I'll look on the south side. Thanks again.
Southside is a section of Duval, which loveboating described. If you mean south of Duval then you're talking about St Johns County. Or perhaps Clay County (southwest) would be worth a look as well. It's not #1 in the state like St Johns but it's pretty good. But again that's pulling you farther from Mayo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 01:52 AM

45 posts, read 56,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
We have lived on the Southside, just north of The Avenues Mall, since January 2009. We live in a "bungalow" style 2-bedroom apartment, which means there is nobody above us. Our apartment is at the end of the building, but there are only four "bungalow's" in the complex. Shopping is very, very close and the SJTC is only a few miles away. A person can go straight down Southside Blvd to JTB (actually is a freeway), go south and get off right down the street from Mayo.

The area we live in is very nice and darn near no crime, really. There are part of the Southside that you do want to stay away from...….like perhaps University Blvd., Beach Blvd. at Southside and Baymeadows at the 95 Freeway. They aren't the most popular places to live. But, do HIGHLY recommend the other parts of the Southside.
Thank you for the information. I looked on the map and I saw a few apartment complexes. For me, compared to where I live now, they are a bit pricey for what they offer. Do they have washer and driers in the units, or there is a on site laundry? Are you comfortable sharing the name of the apartment that you know?

Old 05-27-2018, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Hmm, I dont know too much about it system-wide. It is around the 20th largest district in the country so we are painting with a broad brush when we say it isn't great. Overall it really isn't, especially compared to all of its surrounding neighbors, but there are obviously good and bad parts that can be navigated. Some neighborhood schools are quite good, many are not. There is also a very large magnet system, with specialty schools serving the entire county, and these magnets are generally high performing. There are also an increasing number of charter schools in Duval...some that are very impressive, and others that from the outside have looked very corrupt and failed.
Regarding charter schools, yes, some are very challenged....

Southside is a section of Duval, which loveboating described. If you mean south of Duval then you're talking about St Johns County. Or perhaps Clay County (southwest) would be worth a look as well. It's not #1 in the state like St Johns but it's pretty good. But again that's pulling you farther from Mayo.
Is Clay county west side of the river? What about the Orange Park? How is this area?

Old 05-27-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Is Clay county west side of the river? What about the Orange Park? How is this area?
Yes it is west of the river. Orange Park is Clay County. Some of it is quite nice (albeit suburban) and some not so much.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Yes it is west of the river. Orange Park is Clay County. Some of it is quite nice (albeit suburban) and some not so much.
Is north west part of town more a business district? What I see on the map is that has a lot of buildings, but nobody mention it for a area to live.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:43 AM

Can you give some specific streets so I can be sure where you're talking about?

Northwest of downtown is broadly called the "Northside" and the reason it is rarely recommended is because it includes some very dangerous areas, some very poor areas, and is predominantly black population. There are some good sections of the northside but it is easier to just not recommend it altogether.

Now once you get all the way north to 295 and beyond (close to the airport) then it becomes newish suburban again and "recommendable" for most people.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Can you give some specific streets so I can be sure where you're talking about?

Northwest of downtown is broadly called the "Northside" and the reason it is rarely recommended is because it includes some very dangerous areas, some very poor areas, and is predominantly black population. There are some good sections of the northside but it is easier to just not recommend it altogether.

Now once you get all the way north to 295 and beyond (close to the airport) then it becomes newish suburban again and "recommendable" for most people.
I was talking about the areas north and south of Trout River and here are also areas that I read from Duval schools map: Sheffield New Berlin, Dinsmore Hull, Picket, Oceanway, San Mateo Highlands, Fort Caroline, Mayport.... Can you tell which one in good or bad?

Old 05-28-2018, 06:17 PM

375 posts, read 444,711 times
Quote:
I was talking about the areas north and south of Trout River and here are also areas that I read from Duval schools map: Sheffield New Berlin, Dinsmore Hull, Picket, Oceanway, San Mateo Highlands, Fort Caroline, Mayport.... Can you tell which one in good or bad?
A good way to divide these areas is using Interstate 95. I would stay east of 95. On the westside of 95, the farther north you go the better it gets but it is a lot of rural mixed with newer subdivisions. East of 95 is building up fast but still has a good bit of rural.

Another way to divide it is zip code. check out areas in the 32218,32219 and 32226.

2 of those you mentioned, Mayport and Ft Caroline are on the other side of the river. There are some desirable areas there and are closer to the beach.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonvilleNative View Post
A good way to divide these areas is using Interstate 95. I would stay east of 95. On the westside of 95, the farther north you go the better it gets but it is a lot of rural mixed with newer subdivisions. East of 95 is building up fast but still has a good bit of rural.

Another way to divide it is zip code. check out areas in the 32218,32219 and 32226.

2 of those you mentioned, Mayport and Ft Caroline are on the other side of the river. There are some desirable areas there and are closer to the beach.
Thank you so much for describing the areas. I'll take a look again when eventually considering a place to rent.

Old 06-02-2018, 05:35 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,376,989 times
Quote:
Thank you for the information. I looked on the map and I saw a few apartment complexes. For me, compared to where I live now, they are a bit pricey for what they offer. Do they have washer and driers in the units, or there is a on site laundry? Are you comfortable sharing the name of the apartment that you know?

Yes, there is a washer and dryer in every apartment. I should know, every Monday I do our laundry while wife is at work (I'm retired, she's not).

The complex name is Elements of Belle Rive, which is next to Belle Rive Blvd, off of Southside Blvd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville