Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2021, 05:20 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,117,533 times

Advertisements

I've been saying this for the longest, that Southside has pockets of violence too: 32207, which covers the Phillips Hwy corridor. 32254-56. If we're really honest, Southside tries to hide it's violent crime because if it gets out that Southside can be just as deadly as Northside, NW and Westside, it'll drive residents away. There's been shootings at or near St. John's Town Center in recent years, and Mandarin is no stranger to murders & shootings So you see, Southside isn't the utopia that some Jacksonville residents paint it as. Sorry to burst people's bubble, but that's the way it is. Crime is ALL over Jacksonville, not just the ghetto even though the hood is disproportionately affected by violence.

https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20...s-violence-too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 02:06 PM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Actually, you are absolutely right! There was a murder/suicide in the apartment complex we lived in off of Southside and Bel Rive. There were murders near Baymeadows and Phillips Hwy as well as murder at both McDonalds and Wendy's on Baymeadows. Atlantic Blvd at 295 has seen it's share of shooting/crime as well.

IOW, there is crime on the Southside, but not nearly as much as in Orange Park and the Northside.

There was lots of celebratory gunfire on both New Year's Eve and 4th of July nights.

When we first moved into the apartment, we were in for 10 1/2 years, we stopped at the Best Buy for something and a JSO Motor Officer told us that we picked one of the better apartment complexes in the Southside to live at.

But, when we moved in August 2019, we could tell that the crime was getting somewhat worse in the area. But, all-in-all, for the 10 1/2 years we lived there, the crime really wasn't too bad.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Actually, you are absolutely right! There was a murder/suicide in the apartment complex we lived in off of Southside and Bel Rive. There were murders near Baymeadows and Phillips Hwy as well as murder at both McDonalds and Wendy's on Baymeadows. Atlantic Blvd at 295 has seen it's share of shooting/crime as well.

IOW, there is crime on the Southside, but not nearly as much as in Orange Park and the Northside.

There was lots of celebratory gunfire on both New Year's Eve and 4th of July nights.

When we first moved into the apartment, we were in for 10 1/2 years, we stopped at the Best Buy for something and a JSO Motor Officer told us that we picked one of the better apartment complexes in the Southside to live at.

But, when we moved in August 2019, we could tell that the crime was getting somewhat worse in the area. But, all-in-all, for the 10 1/2 years we lived there, the crime really wasn't too bad.
Sometimes, criminals from the roughest parts of Jacksonville come to the Southside just to commit crime, then go back to the North & NW sides.

Old 01-27-2021, 08:18 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
Sometimes, criminals from the roughest parts of Jacksonville come to the Southside just to commit crime, then go back to the North & NW sides.
If I were a criminal, that's what I would do. People in the "safe" areas tend to let their guard down: poor situational awareness, unlocked cars, unlocked homes, etc. because "this is a safe area and crime doesn't happen here."

Old 01-28-2021, 11:47 AM

1,094 posts, read 807,204 times
I heard the southside has some bad areas especially Emerson St. A guy from my church told me how crime-ridden the area has gotten over the years. Baymedows I heard are also pretty rough but still nice overall in terms of housing and quality of life. The Southside does a good job keeping a good image for soccer moms. Most Jacksonvillians usually consider the Northside the rough side of town.

Old 01-28-2021, 01:53 PM

9,381 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Are there violent crimes all over the Jax area including the Southside? Yes. Does it compare on any level with the murders, shootings, robberies, etc. in the north side? Absolutely not.

Apples to hand grenades.

Old 01-28-2021, 03:04 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,317,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Baymedows I heard are also pretty rough but still nice overall in terms of housing and quality of life.

I remember when Baymeadows was a nice new clean suburban area. It seems like yesterday, but it also seems like a lifetime ago.

Old 01-28-2021, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
I heard the southside has some bad areas especially Emerson St. A guy from my church told me how crime-ridden the area has gotten over the years. Bay meadows I heard are also pretty rough but still nice overall in terms of housing and quality of life. The Southside does a good job keeping a good image for soccer moms. Most Jacksonvillians usually consider the Northside the rough side of town.
Emerson St. is definitely a rough area on the Southside, that’s part of the 32207 zip. It’s the Southside equivalent to the Moncrief area on the Northside. Baymeadows is generally a nice area, but it’s had crime incidents over the years. Dunn Ave. is the dividing line between the good & bad of Northside. North of 95/Dunn, Northside gets better; South of 95/Dunn, Northside gets hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Are there violent crimes all over the Jax area including the Southside? Yes. Does it compare on any level with the murders, shootings, robberies, etc. in the north side? Absolutely not.

Apples to hand grenades.
Southside is about looking good to residents, investors, etc. by any means necessary, even if it means downplaying the crime over there. I get it, because crime isn’t as prevalent on the Southside as it is on the Northside. Southside crime is more opportunistic, violent crime on the Northside is drug related or personal vendetta.

Old 02-02-2021, 10:08 AM

8 posts, read 8,978 times
Since the JSO told you that you were in one of the better residential complexes, would you mind sharing which one that was?
Thanks!
Are you now in a safe place on the Northside?

Old 02-03-2021, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindell View Post
Since the JSO told you that you were in one of the better residential complexes, would you mind sharing which one that was?
Thanks!
Are you now in a safe place on the Northside?
If you're referring to me, I lived on the "notorious" Northside since childhood. I live in 32218 right now, but before I lived in 32208. 32208-32209 lead the city in violent crime year after year; those zips make up the Northside ghetto. Until River City opened up near the airport, Northsiders had to go to the Southside to do shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville