Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 06:37 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,247,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextExit40Miles View Post
Shaken, what were the concerns with Riverside Homes that kept them off your list ?

Would an inspector such as Biltrite make a difference ?

And thanks for the list !
See my last response to TheTourVan for the answer. And yes, I think Biltrite or any credible inspector would make all the difference in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2022, 08:57 AM

320 posts, read 361,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
See my last response to TheTourVan for the answer. And yes, I think Biltrite or any credible inspector would make all the difference in the world.

Thanks Shaken !

Quote:
The bad news is a LOT of builders are now neck deep in construction defect lawsuits. I would guess maybe the majority of them even. They do a great job of keeping this information out of the spotlight and in the hands of the public, and who can blame them?
Where can prospective homeowners aquire this information ?

Old 02-09-2022, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextExit40Miles View Post
Thanks Shaken !

Where can prospective homeowners aquire this information ?
You can't, it's protected information during the process. Sometimes a big one comes out in the news on occasion, but not very often. But just know, quietly behind the scenes, these lawsuits (and the predatory trial lawyers) are part of the reason the cost of housing is going up so much in Florida. Sure, labor and material shortages are part of the problem, but the hidden cost of these lawsuits is huge part of that equation as well. This article explains it pretty well:

https://thecapitolist.com/lawsuits-s...-builders-say/

Old 02-09-2022, 06:42 PM

20 posts, read 39,952 times
I do NOT recommend Biltrite inspection company. They are very average. Not bad and definitely not good either.

Old 02-11-2022, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarr2050 View Post
I do NOT recommend Biltrite inspection company. They are very average. Not bad and definitely not good either.
I'm guessing that with the inspection companies, it's the same as with the builders in that it's hit and miss depending on the competence of the inspector doing the inspections.

Hopefully some other readers can chime in with some inspectors they used that they were happy with.

Old 02-11-2022, 07:20 PM

After not very pleasant experience with Biltrite I will be using another co. I will share their name if they are good.

Old 02-14-2022, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarr2050 View Post
After not very pleasant experience with Biltrite I will be using another co. I will share their name if they are good.
Please do! I'm sure many would be grateful. The majority of the inspection companies I deal with are all of commercial or private nature and cannot be hired directly by potential home buyers. Some are building scientists, and do not provide those types of services direct to the public.

Thanks for helping in advance!

Old 02-16-2022, 05:34 PM

4 posts, read 3,858 times
Shaken

Where would you say DreamFinders are good? Wilford Preserve?

Old 02-19-2022, 08:43 PM

60 posts, read 44,225 times
LMAO!!! I'm reminded of my experiences with Elder Law and Family Law attorneys in Jacksonville, after having dealt with incompetent, quota hired, social promoted 'representatives'(?) of state and local government DCF agencies, including private agencies.

Home was taken from a sister and brother in law suffering from full blown dementia, among numerous other ailments. Home was lost to foreclosure after my sister was advised to stop making mortgage payments by her so-called 'friend-neighbor'.

So-called 'friend/neighbor' worked for the property management company that bought the house at auction (only bidder) and flipped it for an obscene amount. Brother in law was bed ridden and sister was driving around without a driver's license (still does).

I washed my hands of the matter when state and local agencies did the same. Only one attorney stated he would work with me but treated the situation as a joke - he wanted to be paid in advance for work I had already performed (pulled financial records). Was told that what I did was illegal in Florida but I did it anyway as I wanted to get to the truth.

Some time later, brother in law was found dead on the floor at a different residence during a welfare check - ME stated he had been deceased for at least a week - sister was oblivious and still is.

Enough of that. If I were ever to move back to Jax (left 25+ years ago), I would seriously investigate the Cedar Point Road - Sawpit Road area. Custom Home? I will certainly consult your updated listings. Thanks.

Old 02-21-2022, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Please do! I'm sure many would be grateful. The majority of the inspection companies I deal with are all of commercial or private nature and cannot be hired directly by potential home buyers. Some are building scientists, and do not provide those types of services direct to the public.

Thanks for helping in advance!
Here you go: I’ve just had final home inspection with Southern Brothers Inspections. My inspector was Rich. 100% recommend for both pre-drywall and final. The report had tons of details with some corrections and many tips on maintenance.

The best thing about this inspector is that (compared to other ones) he did not afraid to call a spade a spade. My CM was not very happy with my inspection diligence.

What was really surprising to me that after watching 10 hrs of inspection training YT videos I learned 10x more as to how to keep the house mold free. I think everyone should learn this when they come from the other states. Poor maintenance for a year and your house is a dump within 10 months. That is no1 issue when you buy old house and becomes an issue in a new one if you don’t know how to keep it dry.

Key things to check:
Attic insulation
AC ductwork seals
Return air pathways
Roof & gutters
Wrap system
Ceiling fan in the bathroom (130 cfm min)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville