Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 10:30 AM

47 posts, read 155,820 times

Advertisements

Do you ever just cruise around the other posts and read what people say about their home states, or states they just happen to be living in at the time. Jacksonville, for the most part, has some pretty possitive things being said about it. I live in Seattle and I do like it hear (beautiful whenit is not raining, mountains, etc..) but there are many negative people here and everywhere. My comment to all you Floridians, especially the Jacksonville quadrent, why do you live in Jacksonville? What makes it great? Have you lived anywhere else? Loud and Proud let's here from you ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 12:01 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,483,128 times
I've lived up North and out West prior to living in NEFL. I live here because Jax offer most - not all, but most - of what is important to me at this stage in my life.

The weather, especially in terms of bright sunshine and lack of extreme cold, is what I wanted and needed. The diversity of flora and fauna is endlessly fascinating (to me ). The romantic notion of the Old South is still existent to a small degree, of course balanced by its' own set of problems and issues.

Most importantly though, to me, is that Jax has a chance to become a really great city. Cities rise and fall, and today's empires are tomorrow's dinosaurs. Jax has certain elements that if played right, could make it a great place to be. Its' potential could just as easily be squandered though, so we'll have to see how things progress in the coming years. And of course, Jax does not exist in a vacuum, if things are bad all over the US, then they will be bad here as well.

It's certainly not a city for everyone. For those who appreciate a slightly slower pace of life, natural beauty, and a laid-back collection of people, it can be a great choice. I would hope that anyone who moves here brings with them 2 things:

1) An attitude of what can I offer Jacksonville? Not just "what's in it for me?", but what can you bring? Did you always want to get involved in the arts? Did you want to be more involved in your community, to make a difference? Then do that here. Instead of complaining about how small the art scene is, go to events, support the scene with your dollars and help it grow...bring something to the table .

2) Appreciate and foster our fragile ecosystem. Don't move here and freak out about bugs and spray poison everywhere. This is Florida, we have bugs, deal with it. As much greenspace as we have here, and as suburban as it is, you have a real opportunity to make a difference and be supportive of the ecosystem. Make a small effort, it will make a big difference .

Old 05-21-2008, 12:14 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,740,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luauelvis View Post
Do you ever just cruise around the other posts and read what people say about their home states, or states they just happen to be living in at the time. Jacksonville, for the most part, has some pretty possitive things being said about it. I live in Seattle and I do like it hear (beautiful whenit is not raining, mountains, etc..) but there are many negative people here and everywhere. My comment to all you Floridians, especially the Jacksonville quadrent, why do you live in Jacksonville? What makes it great? Have you lived anywhere else? Loud and Proud let's here from you ...
Yeah, I do visit other forums especially the ones up north because that's where I'm from.

I don't believe there is any one thing that makes Jacksonville a happy place for me. It's a confluence of many things: beautiful weather, beaches, lakes, rivers, tropical greenery, etc. And that compensates for a rather boring topography. We are flat and you have all that beautiful mountainous terrain. Can't have it all.

But the one thing that IMO seems to distinguish the Jacksonville forum from many other forums is what I call "the stress factor". Especially today there is so much misery in cities around the country and that misery is reflected in what people post on their forums. If you take a look at the Jacksonville forum daily there is alot of trivial stuff (important stuff too) but not alot of depressing topics. Yes, there is some griping about taxes, insurance, crime, etc. but not that constant bellyaching that goes on in many other forums.

And finally, folks here on the street are generally nice. I have lived in cities where people on the street are cold and even abrasive. Certainly not all people. That too is reflected on these forums.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:45 PM

147 posts, read 559,797 times
I'm a native Floridian and although I've traveled, I've never lived in any other state. I can not imagine living elsewhere. We have beautiful weather, (I can take the heat, it's the cold I have trouble with), a lovely canopy of trees, something is green 12 months out of the year, wonderful people, we're a city that still maitains its southern charm and tradition, we're surrounded by water, (salt and fresh), we're diverse, the shopping is fabulous, we have football, baseball, soccer, the arts are very present for a city our size & many more attributes too numerous to mention! I love Jacksonville, certainly because it's home, but for so much more!

Old 05-21-2008, 09:45 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,950,756 times
I've also lived up North and out West, but I keep returning to the Jax area. People smile more here, and generally treat each other well.

Traffic is bad in places, but 9 times out of 10, someone will actually slow down to let you merge. This didn't happen for me frequently in N.J. While shopping or just walking around, it never ceases to amaze me how many people take the time to stop and talk. I've had some great conversations with complete strangers and I've always found Jax to be an easy place to make friends. You can be a redneck, a yuppie, in the military, whatever, and you can find a place for yourself here!

Old 05-22-2008, 01:18 PM

108 posts, read 305,983 times
Shut Up Everyone...Ok. Just shut Up! I live in Oklahoma and I wish I was in Jax, so please shut up, yer making me angry. I LIVE IN TULSA..... AND I WANNA GET OUT!!!! (Lol LOl LOl).

Old 05-22-2008, 03:31 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,028,310 times
Hi LeftHook, Hot here today. Up for a little surf?

Old 05-22-2008, 08:04 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,972,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHook View Post
Shut Up Everyone...Ok. Just shut Up! I live in Oklahoma and I wish I was in Jax, so please shut up, yer making me angry. I LIVE IN TULSA..... AND I WANNA GET OUT!!!! (Lol LOl LOl).
maybe you should meet our malcontent, you could swap homes, jobs, wives (only a joke)

Old 05-22-2008, 11:17 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,483,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
maybe you should meet our malcontent, you could swap homes, jobs, wives (only a joke)
LifeSwap .

Old 05-24-2008, 11:20 AM

541 posts, read 2,287,738 times
I have lived in Pittsburgh, North Jersey/NYC, St. Louis, Albuquerque, Ithaca, NY, and have had extended visits to places like San Juan, Chicago, DC, and Miami. So, I have been graced to travel and see different parts of the country.

After all of those visits and living experiences, I must say I am a city person. I like urban and city amenities and loathe suburbia more and more each day. I like cities with character as well.

That being said, Jacksonville is a surbuban place with very little character, few city amenities, and a southern "rebel flag waving, sola scriptura bible" culture. So, you can see that Jacksonville for me is like a sour dash of purgatory.

It has been a good learning experience for me for the short time I have been here though. I have learned that I do like the urban life, I appreciate more having like-minded friendships, family is important, variation in seasons is underappreciated, the beach is better for vacations than for everyday life, diversity is vital, and the food in the north is king!

And I would also like to add that I am a Lewis and Clark type person. I like to go places that provide something interesting and unique to my mind from both the people and the activities that a city has to offer. And I must say that Jacksonville has dissapointed me from the Lewis and Clark perspective. This is just anywhere America. Common people doing common activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville