Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 12:06 PM

112 posts, read 524,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Keep it on track, guys. We're talking here about the new Winn-Dixie Stores.

We are on track. It is just more like a grand prix track then a 100 yard dash.

At some point it will get back to the store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 01:32 PM

870 posts, read 2,179,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Exactly! And it's hard for me to keep track of the bogus information I give them, it's just a hassle!

I'm not even kidding, I make up phone numbers, etc.

The privacy issue is the core of my problem with these cards. My second issue is that they are making money off of my identity (the mining of information as outlined above). If I don't let them profit off of me, I am punished with higher "non-card" prices. I just can't support this kind of corporate behavior and I fight it whenever I can. I'm not going to be swayed by membership points or coupons, just give me the best price and take my money and leave me alone .
I used to make up numbers until I realized that it may be someone's phone number, and I didn't want anyone to get phone calls because of me.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staykay View Post
You are right--- Winn Dixie stores are magnets for rude, apathetic workers. It has to be a corporate culture , because from Jacksonville to Miami, they're all the same.
I guess I've been lucky because I've run into some really nice cashiers at WD. I've even gone to the manager to compliment them, and then called corporate.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
LOL ... Staykay, you must do a whole lotta food shopping to know every Winn Dixie store from Jacksonville to Miami. I would say it all depends on the store and it may even have something to do with the demographics of the area you live in.

I shop at Publix most of the time b/c they are closer. But occasionally I go to the Winn Dixie on 210 in St. Johns County. I find the employees there to be every bit as friendly as the ones at Publix. Even the store manager goes down the aisles to greet shoppers and ask about their needs.
That's nice to hear. I'm glad I'm not the only one who encountered nice WD employees. You ever been in Homespun Gifts next to that WD?

Old 07-15-2008, 05:41 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I'm a former macrobiotic too. Had to add a bit back in after b12 deficiencies, numbness after the years supplies depleted. I eat some yogurt and one egg per month lol.

All ANY grocer has to do to lure me away is have good produce.

I think it's a political problem that I havent figured out yet regarding agriculture.

I am moving to a town that has a Whole Foods in a reasonable distance and I'm not even kidding about it.
Sorry about your bad experience with macrobiotics . Glad you're doing better.

Sadly, I think the fresh produce issue is only going to get worse. It IS a political thing . There are a lot of factors in play, but consider how Big Agriculture has put patents on their own hybrid creations so they can create big, fat tomatoes with thick skins that travel well for hundreds of miles to your local grocery store and the only downside is taste...they have no taste . With the local produce on our grocer's shelves, we have to worry about GMOs and now nanotechnology when all I want is a good tomato . Throw Peak Oil in the mix and whatever Big Agriculture's response is to that, and no wonder people are seeking out local organic produce - some are even beginning to grow it themselves (me!).

But I digress...we can meet over on the Green Living forum to discuss the woes of produce if you want!

We're getting a Whole Foods in Jacksonville, it's under construction right now. I bet they're going to pull more business from Winn Dixie and Publix (see Cricket, I'm back on track ).

Quote:
Keep it on track, guys. We're talking here about the new Winn-Dixie Stores.
That's right! Everyone listen to Cricket!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagFan27 View Post
I used to make up numbers until I realized that it may be someone's phone number, and I didn't want anyone to get phone calls because of me.
Uh-oh .

Old 07-15-2008, 05:43 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagFan27 View Post
That's nice to hear. I'm glad I'm not the only one who encountered nice WD employees. You ever been in Homespun Gifts next to that WD?
Hmmm, Homespun Gifts? Never noticed it. But then I'm an in-and-out shopper. Grab what I need in the supermarket and back to the car.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:58 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,731,582 times
Yea, I've been in one. Not bad.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:38 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Sorry about your bad experience with macrobiotics . Glad you're doing better.

Sadly, I think the fresh produce issue is only going to get worse. It IS a political thing . There are a lot of factors in play, but consider how Big Agriculture has put patents on their own hybrid creations so they can create big, fat tomatoes with thick skins that travel well for hundreds of miles to your local grocery store and the only downside is taste...they have no taste . With the local produce on our grocer's shelves, we have to worry about GMOs and now nanotechnology when all I want is a good tomato . Throw Peak Oil in the mix and whatever Big Agriculture's response is to that, and no wonder people are seeking out local organic produce - some are even beginning to grow it themselves (me!).

But I digress...we can meet over on the Green Living forum to discuss the woes of produce if you want!

We're getting a Whole Foods in Jacksonville, it's under construction right now. I bet they're going to pull more business from Winn Dixie and Publix (see Cricket, I'm back on track ).

That's right! Everyone listen to Cricket!

Uh-oh .
Thanks, the macro thing was after 5 or more years so I'm glad I realized I wasn't doing it 100% correctly in time. THANKS for telling me about the WF in Jax. I'm looking for a place to move and the Northeast is on my short list. I like the idea of more temperate weather, more jobs and still near the beach. I can't wait to drive up there and check it out and now I can put it on the "pro" column with the produce lol. (I'm renting in Vero Beach right now).

Last night I went to make potato salad and the celery I bought for it was all bendy not crisp! ha ha.......I'm guessing it's the Fl heat, they must transport the veggies un-chilled. Cuz the celery was from Canada just like we get in Pa.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,278 times
Quote:
"Customer cards are used to keep track of household spending and buying habit, to sell to various data mining companies."
I Google Winn Dixie + Data Mining and came up with this thread in the first result. I signed up just so I could post.

I know for a fact that it is true. Mainly in the Pharmacy. My husband had a heart bypass operation and had several medications filled in the Pharmacy and all of the sudden we started getting telemarketing calls directly pertaining to things about his heart. I emailed and called Winn Dixie and they said that it was not them - that it was possibly his Doctor's office. I let that one slide because I wasn't sure.

Today I am sure. My dog was diagnosed with diabetes last week. I had his insulin filled at Winn Dixie and TODAY I received a telemarketing called that I did not answer but I Googled and it was from 856-295-5636 diabetes. Just put that number and diabetes in Google. There is no where else it could have come from BUT Winn Dixie. My Vet would not have sold my number.

I emailed Winn Dixie and told them I would not get another prescription filled from them. I did not think they needed my money bad enough.

This is Data Mining pure and simple.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:52 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
Been using Winn-Dixie for groceries and prescriptions for at least 5 years because they are the closest by about 5 miles. And yes we have one of their member cards, in all that time we have yet to receive one telemarketing call about anything linked with Winn-Dixie. But when we fill up with gas using the card we average about $1.00 off per gallon for the 20 gallons each time we use it. Maybe were just lucky!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville