Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:01 PM

402 posts, read 1,056,050 times

Advertisements

Wow, you are delusional arnt ya? Just like most springfielders, I guess you have to be to live there. Heres one of them. mySpringfield.org • View topic - Burglaries The sad part is there are more responses from JSO as well and recent. People talking about LOTS of JSO in the area latley, helicopters patroling it, you know, all the NORMS of your area.

Message from Lieutenant Steve Gallaher - JSO

I would like to ask for your assistance in notifying the residents of the Springfield area (SHADCO B) that residential burglaries in the area have been increasing recently. As you know, their assistance in keeping a watchful eye on the neighborhood is a very valuable tool for the Zone One officers to locate and apprehend the individuals committing these crimes.

The most concentrated area is in the B2 sub-sector bordered by Main, 8th, Walnut and 1st Streets, but there have been others outside of this area also. The residential burglaries within this area have most commonly occurred in the morning hours after the homeowner leaves for the day. The most common point of entry is by way of breaking a rear window or door. The most common stolen items are electronics, jewelry, and cash.

I believe this is a good opportunity for everyone to be reminded of how important it is to photograph and record serial numbers or to label items with personal identifying characteristics so that they may be identified if stolen.

As a reminder, if they observe what they perceive as a crime in progress they are encouraged to call 911. If they would like to forward information or if they have questions they may call the non-emergency number 630-0500 or the Zone One Sub-Station at 924-5361. They are also encouraged to call the non-emergency number to report juveniles that appear to be truant from school.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 10:03 PM

Heres another from april.

The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office also is troubled by the recent robberies that have been occurring within the community. The recent trend began on March 6th and by trend we are speaking of incidents that can be related to one another. There have been a total of six individual robberies that are related in the area of Silver, Perry, 6th and 7th Streets near the park. There have been others but they are believed to have been committed by different suspects. Since becoming aware of this trend on March 9th Zone 1 has utilized many resources to combat this issue to include: conducting a CPTED (Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design) survey which is still ongoing; conducting 26 strategic deployments; arresting 7 individuals for robbery; patrolling the area by helicopter; notifying community groups. Please encourage the community to report all suspicious incidents to the police and use current established Jacksonville Sheriff's Office community based programs (Neighborhood Watch, ShAdCo) to the fullest.

In regards to proposed “Springfield Citizens on Patrol” I will conduct an assessment of the proposal and respond back with my findings. Any efforts by our citizens must be in accordance with law. I am confident our community will be able to resolve this matter together.

Thank you

Assistant Chief Butler

**Please note - the next SHADCO meeting is at the SPAR office, 1321 N. Main St. on Tuesday, April 27 at 6:00pm

Old 06-29-2010, 10:06 PM

k

Old 06-30-2010, 01:32 AM

33 posts, read 86,803 times
Those messages are posted by members, not the JSO. Usually they are taken from a SPAR newsletter. So JSO isn't on the boards making comments.

While Springfield isn't the greatest place in Jacksonville, it is changing for the better. Due to the economy it has slowed down a bit but it is still getting better. Maybe it seems that there is a lot of crime being reported on the forums about Springfield because the neighbors actually talk about it and get the word out? Let's just be objective about it. Springfield does seem to have an active grapevine and they do share what is going on. While I'm definitely not a cheerleader, I can just see both sides of the argument. Nobody can deny that it is definitely better than it was 10yrs ago. Can we say that about all neighborhoods? I live in a gated community out by the beaches that had 5 robberies, two were armed robberies last month (we are moving out due to the increase...luckily my wife used to teach small weapons gun classes lol). Don't let gates fool you, it is easy to tailgate in, crime can happen anywhere.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:15 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times
Parks71--crime happens. you got me! LOL! a 16 yr old was robbing people and he was caught. just lik when guys were robbing and raping people in Ortega recently and were caught or the person who kidnapped a woman at gunpoint in the st johns towncenter on gate parkway last month and was caught. so whats your point exactly?????????? you seem intent on exagerrating crime. check JSOs stats-- crime is down across the board in the city---WAY down and has been going down for years.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:01 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times
I will say that the Springfield website is one of the better websites I've seen for a neighborhood in my time. Whomever is in charge of that does a fine job.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:48 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,488,188 times
Parks, again, you're not doing yourself any favors just pulling stuff from a community forum & pasting it here like you know something. What exactly are you trying to prove? That Springfield has crime?? I dont think anyone denies that. But you're being pretty dramatic just for the sake.

I think thats the bone I have to pick with people like you & Robyn who are ignorant to subjects like this (you've said it yourselves), then go post some random site that mentiones crime & then are like "Ah ha! Told you guys. Look! CRIME!!" Yeah, and??

Like I said, dig hard enough & you'll find that stuff for damn near any neighborhood, esp the urban ones. Just because the neighborhood forums for Springfield residents are more active doesn't = more crime.

So do any of you guys have anything thats actually relevant to post, or are we just gonna keep up the copy/paste feud? Again, i dont have a dog in this fight (I dont live over there). I just dont like misinformation from ignorant posters.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:21 PM

"Parks71--crime happens. you got me! LOL! a 16 yr old was robbing people and he was caught. just lik when guys were robbing and raping people in Ortega recently and were caught or the person who kidnapped a woman at gunpoint in the st johns towncenter on gate parkway last month and was caught. so whats your point exactly?????????? you seem intent on exagerrating crime. check JSOs stats-- crime is down across the board in the city---WAY down and has been going down for years."

Ok, I am no expert by anymeans but where do you get your information?? Crime has been going WAY down for years? According to this, we have led the entire state in crime for the past 10 years!!! http://www.folioweekly.com/documents/main101309.pdf

My point to all you people is, you defend places with no proof other than hear say or just because you so happen not to be robbed or a victim of crime does not mean it does not happen.

If you do research on something, you need sources. I have stated atleast 5 sources stating springfield still has a lot of crime and to debate the fact it doesnt all you do is post pictures (like thats proof or something??) or give opinion. Show me solid facts that springfield does not have very much crime. Where are the FACTS??? Everyone has an opinion, pictures, who cares.

Has springfield become better over the years? Yes. Is it an ideal area to raise a family? I dont think so, I think there are much better places in Jax for the same or less money to do so with less crime and better schools. Thats my point. If the cheerleaders would stop acting like springfield is paradise, I would leave it alone.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:26 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax Questions View Post
well parks71 you hav a interting point of view on things for sure! more than 1 person from SPR post on city-data. i can think of 5 myself. And im not a statician but id estimate that 75% of what you just said is 100% false. i post on www.myspringfield.org all the time and those conversations u just mentioned never happened. go check it out yourself. no police ever post on there. if there is a crime issue its talked about. and ur "independent websites" have been proven to be crap. i remember how u didnt even know where the area was on a map. im sure Fsu813 can link that thread b/c it was really funny seeing you busted for not knowing what youre talking about. i know we can get names and phone numbers of JSO that patrol the area thats easy. or u should visit Metro Jacksonville | Covering Downtown Jacksonville FL, Northeast Florida, Jacksonville Transit, History, Neighborhoods, Photos --another website forum where smart people post and those that dont know what theyre talking about are run off. good luck passing your dribble off there.
just smells like someone has a bone to pick and they are willing to lie to do it. or have wierd hobbies of lying to people for fun oh well. the proof is in the pudding --which i know has been linked like 100 times to your dismay im sure =)

By the way Robyn-- who ever compared crime anywhere to Ponte vedra,one of the richest neighborhoods in the city? you people have active imaginations!
I think that the low end in PVB real estate overlaps the high end in Springfield these days (average listing price in Springfield is about $165k - it is a little over $300k in PVB - but averages can mask individual properties). Remember - there are communities here with smaller older houses. And if the real estate market deteriorates more - who knows? With houses in foreclosure - particularly if they're bank owned - an offer in hand can be worth more than anything that's hiding behind a bush. You may not be able to get a fabulous house here under $300k - but there are houses in that price range. As well as apartment rentals in the $600-800 range.

When we moved to this area in 1995 - we rented and then looked at lots of places. Riverside - San Marco - Mandarin - Clay County - Amelia Island - etc. Trying to find a good fit for us. In any event - looking at real estate - whether on line or in newspapers or in person - is free. I don't think people should rule out Springfield if that is the kind of neighborhood that appeals to them - but - OTOH - they shouldn't rule out PVB because they think all the houses are million dollar+ houses. And - IMO - one size definitely doesn't fit all in terms of where people like to live. Robyn

Old 06-30-2010, 05:33 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,488,188 times
Ugh, this forum is filled to the brim with stupid these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville