Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,815 times

Advertisements

I know several have been posting about moving and looking in the area. I have looked at the statistics but to me that really is no help becuase its not a real person answering the question.

What is Springfield like? We like the style of homes there. My husband and I will be moving out there in the spring due to the navy and will be at NAS JAX. We don't have any kids. We are trying to figure out if its better to buy a house for later have selling potential or buy a house for renters potential.

We also like he houses in Avondale. But I was reading to stay away from those areas. We are looking for a very safe place since I will be spending time alone when my husband is deployed (I scare myself often)

Any ideas would help us out. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 01:06 PM

116 posts, read 419,420 times
Springfield is not considered "very safe" by most, although I very much like the homes in the area as well as it's proximity to downtown. I don't have specific figures on crime, but parts of Springfield are questionable at best, particularly the further north on Main St. you go. I'm not sure what you read about Avondale, but it is very nice and overall a very "safe" feeling neighborhood. On that point alone I would suggest you stick to Avondale instead of Springfield if you're easily scared.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:07 PM

549 posts, read 2,205,022 times
I've lived in Springfield for over 10 years and find it to be a very family friendly neighborhood and quite safe. There's some incidents that happen, but overall, we've got a lot less than other areas. Most of what you hear in the news that's reported as Springfield, isn't, so what others are telling you, simply isn't founded or true. I love it here and would live nowhere else.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:06 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,487,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm32206 View Post
I've lived in Springfield for over 10 years and find it to be a very family friendly neighborhood and quite safe. There's some incidents that happen, but overall, we've got a lot less than other areas. Most of what you hear in the news that's reported as Springfield, isn't, so what others are telling you, simply isn't founded or true. I love it here and would live nowhere else.
Im gonna have to disagree. I know you're bias & your area is your home, but I think most people would agree that Springfield still has a LONG way to go before it can be called "family friendly". No offense, but thats just not an accurate description at all. Lets put it this way, there's no way I would let my kid walk around W 8th or Main streets by themselves at any time of the day or night, and I don't scare easily.

Don't get me wrong, there are some lovely houses & I think one day it will be an awesome & safe place to live, but its just not there yet IMO. It takes time & its just getting started with the rejuvenation.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:52 PM

No, there's some wonderful family oriented groups, like the mommies group and others. Unless you're part of the neighborhood, you wouldn't know these things. 8th and Main isn't so great at night, when's the last time you heard of something happening there? You can easily walk through the neighborhood at night, and it's quiet. It's already an awesome neighborhood.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:19 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,448,792 times
Aside from the fact that they are both designated historic districts, I don't view Avondale and Springfield in the same manner.

Both have some incredible architecture, but Avondale has never fallen into disrepair in the same manner Springfield has. There are some wonderful old homes being restored in Springfield, but there are many more homes being torn down and brand new old-looking homes built in their place. SRG is one of these builders and their facades are good - these homes blend right in with the true older homes.

I don't know the exact boundaries of what is Springfield proper and what would be considered, for example, Talleyrand, but I do know that some of our most dangerous parts of Jacksonville are just behind Springfield (Moncrief, for one), and that's too close for comfort for me.

Avondale/Riverside have the amenities and the developer attention that is still lacking in Springfield, so that may be something to consider as well (grocery shopping, etc.).

Both areas have active preservation societies:

Riverside Avondale Preservation

Welcome to Historic Springfield!

Springfield is gentrifying, but it's a slow process. You'd need to take a drive through for yourself and see if you're up for the challenge or not .

Since you'll be at NAS Jax, Avondale and Ortega will be closest to you and they're very nice so I'd keep them on the short list for sure .

Old 09-14-2008, 08:21 AM

Talleyrand is not Springfield....and most of what people hear that happens in Springfield, isn't true...and the majority of it is outside of our boundaries. Which are 1st street to (the RR tracks) 14th, From Boulevard to Ionia. It's only about 1 square mile.
Quote:
"The boundaries of Springfield are well defined. Hogan's Creek lies along its south edge, and railroad lines are found on the north and east. Boulevard defines the western limit of the district where a later commercial strip abuts the earlier residential area. Contemporary with the overall residential area are two commercial strips along Main and Eighth Streets which join at the heart of the district. The district contains 119 city blocks in an area of approximately 500 acres (2 km²), or slightly less than one square mile. Hogan's Creek separates the residences of Springfield from the downtown business district. North of the creek few buildings rise above two stories and parks and tree lined streets are common."
Granted, this area had fallen victim to blight and hardship many years ago, however in the past 10+ years there's been tremendous growth and rebirth.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:46 AM

472 posts, read 1,544,124 times
Springfield is a victim of news hyperbole and mis-reporting. Anyone who has ever slept over someone's house there would have no questions as to the safety of the neighborhood. Sorry if that came across harsh, but I can't believe anyone who has ever been there an extended amount of time would feel unsafe... unless they lived in the White House prior. Unlike in the burbs, there will be people walking on the sidewalks in front of your home. People who may not look like you, or may look "rough around the edges." Doesn't mean that they are worried about you, want to harm you, or want to steal from you.

Just my 3cents.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:28 AM

286 posts, read 1,231,719 times
I have a friend who has lived in Springfield for 25 years. 25 years ago, they told her that it was an up and coming area, and that the area would change dramatically. It didn't. Now the same thing is happening with alot of ppl. moving to the Springfield area, they're being told the same thing, and little has changed. Granted, some of the houses have been renovated, but she told me that many of those houses were purchased for $60-$70,000 and then renovated and sold for a much higher price.

I would also be careful about the houses in Springfield, b/c they are very historic, and have a lot of issues. My friend recently had to replace all of the pipes in her house, and it was very expensive. Avondale and Riverside are nice areas, but have you looked in other areas of Jax? Or are you interested strictly in historic districts?

Also, be careful of historic districts, b/c certain historic districts require any upgrades to be within historic standards. Another friend of mine lives in Tampa in a historic district and she had to pay $30,000 for windows, as they were the "historic" windows, as opposed to $10,000 for standard windows.

Just be careful and really pick a good real estate agent. Everyone is trying to sell their houses down there right now and you need to do research on your own, looking at tax rolls, etc. Good luck!

Old 09-15-2008, 05:58 PM

To say that little has changed in this area is totally untrue. I don't know where this friend of yours lives, but it sure doesn't sound like they're in historic Springfield. There's been so many houses that have been restored, there's so many new houses that have been built, and it all continues. The houses that had been restored, of course they're going to sell for more...and yes, some are over priced, but there's a lot of money needed to pay for the restorations.

As for having to do work in these old homes, of course you do. Most of them end up needing new plumbing, new roofs, you name it...since most are 100 or so years old. To move into one of them, thinking that it doesn't need work, is foolish at best. If someone decides to live in a historic area, there will always be certain guidelines....which is how we get to maintain the historic value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville