Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seeking to relocate from Michigan to Jacksonville Florida, wanting advice from former Yankees who moved to Jacksonville, cost of living, weather conditions in summer

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 05:34 PM

727 posts, read 1,836,875 times

Advertisements

"So if you are made uncomfortable by Sir, Ma'am, fried food, hunting, pickup trucks, and Republicans ... maybe Jax isn't for you."

^^^ That sounds awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 12:47 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,115,292 times
Dittoed^^^In fact we should really be telling our family members and friends up north how miserable it is down here with all the Republicans, manners, the God-awful religion and churches, and all the terrible low taxes and Big Businesses that relocate for the lower taxes.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:47 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatrnnr View Post
We're still looking to find a place that makes Chicago Style Pizza, everthing we've had here is more NY style.
Have you been to the Loop? That's a local joint that's supposed to be Chicago style. HAHA...i havent been there in forever, but if memory serves me correctly it was nothing like Chicago pizza. Of course back in the day I just assumed it was. Now that I've been in Chicago for over a year, and frequent Giordano's/Lou Malnati's...well, I know better.

I'm pretty sure there's also a place called Chicago Pizza or something like that. Try that one...I'm sure it won't measure up either, but maybe close enough to make you smile?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
Pay close attention to the quote here because there is definitely something to it.

I too moved here from the north & although I have never been treated like an outsider directly, locals aren't exactly lining up to befriend me either. Its weird because this is sorta the opposite of where I lived before I moved here (DC). Everyone wanted to know everyone, hang out, whatever. Not the case here. Its a real fight to make friends, esp with locals. They are very nice though & willing to chat with anyone, hospitable, etc, but just not go "all the way" I guess.

So, like Riv, most the people I know personally here & have any kind of relationship with are transplants. Its not my doing, God knows I've tried to befriend locals. But I cant make someone want to be my friend. I can only put it out there & they have to run with it. So far, those people have all been transplants.
Maybe because your transplant friends are trying to make other friends in a new place, while the locals, like you suggested, already have enough close friends and don't want more? I dunno...there's definitely a difference between being friendly and wanting more personal friends. Anyway, I'm not trying to defend us locals, im just trying to offer a possible explanation cause it is interesting that both you and Riv have experienced this.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:38 AM

Well typically people become friends with people liike them, who share similar values and what not. I'm not trying to downplay "diversity" and all, but diversity sounds a little better on paper. You will become friends naturally with people like you, you just have to run into them somewhere. That is one of the reasons why I think having a realtor is a good idea. For instance, in the Ortega/Avondale area (my momis a realtor here), a realtor can give you the inside scoop, help you host a party, introduce you to people that she knows would be a good catch, and possibly lead you to become members of a club. I think having a realtor really helps in this department, and of course it depends on the realtor. Just do your research!

Old 12-23-2008, 12:42 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
introduce you to people that she knows would be a good catch
woah, you mean they can play matchmaker? That's a story for the grandkids: we met through our realtor.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:59 PM

541 posts, read 2,286,240 times
I agree with KerryB that locals will not go all the way to be friends with outsiders. Nice to your face, but not looking for northern friends. If you are used to being in young, social, large friend networks in the northeast......get ready for a sucky social scene in Jacksonville. It takes notherners years to find just a handful of good friends here.....whereas in the northeast....maybe a month max to know lots of people.

You can pick anyone of my posts within the last 12 months to find reasons why someone might want to make snow angels rather than live in Jacksonville.

Moving to Jacksonville from the NYC area was a huge mistake. Huge, huge mistake. It was like putting my life on pause....but I am in my 20's. That being said, I am a city person and will for certain spend the foreseeable future in real cities like NYC or Chicago. Jacksonville offers me nothing. I really can't place much value on the place. I don't suggest it to anyone.....except people from the south or maybe old people from the north.

I honestly can't say that Jacksonville has provided me any experiences that I couldn't have much better in other places. Jacksonville has no character. I could list many, many things that frustrate me about Jacksonville and honestly I can't list many positives. And if there were a few positives, I could list a place I have lived in the northern cities or collegetowns that provide those positives much better.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
woah, you mean they can play matchmaker? That's a story for the grandkids: we met through our realtor.
LoL I didnt mean it that way I guess I had too much egg nog

Old 12-25-2008, 10:34 AM

5 posts, read 7,587 times
Default What do the former yankees think

I moved to Jacksonville this past September from Michigan. I think you would enjoy the weather as I am here visiting and find myself longing for the 80 degree weather on Christmas Day.

As far as being treated as an outsider, I am still very new to the area, but do find that the "locals" do not welcome you as much as the fellow transplants. I find it hard to make new friends in Jacksonville, however I am diligently attempting to meet new people daily. There are online groups of people who meet depending upon their interests. After the holidays, I will be attending some of these functions and assume that the majority of them are fellow transplants.

When looking for a place to live, read the posts on here and take very good notes. Take the advice of researching your area at night. I was certain I had done my homework, but ended up in an area less desirable than I had intended.

Apartment living in Jacksonville is more expensive than in Michigan. Groceries too. Driving is very different than in Michigan, depending upon where you are located in the state (MI)...

Overall my experience has been positive. I have experienced some cultural differences both positive and negative. I think that the area you reside in warrants those experiences. Riveree sums it up by saying that locals are not interested in becoming your friends, however there are enough transplants that are looking for friendship that you will be fine.

At this point, I am not positive I will consider Jacksonville my home for years to come. I am open to other areas in my future.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:12 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
Some real interesting stuff, thanks to all. I enjoy this forum alot and knew I'd get some good responses. I hear a few people, not only on this thread either, speak of JAX being a bit expensive. I'm trying to figure this out. No state income tax, property tax is lower than national average, gas tax is low, sales tax normal, no food tax, no annual vehicle tax, no paying for parking at the beach, college is paid for (?-Bright Futures) if you have a good enough GPA, house prices reasonable. Maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't sound expensive. Is food/utilities expensive? I've lived in VA Beach before and that is expensive.
As Srjorgen said, apartments are above average price compared to national averages. Groceries are also above the national average. Utilities should be lower, especially if you're with JEA (one of the lowest rates in FL, at least they used to be....we've had a few hikes recently).

When you consider the low salaries here, you'd expect prices to be much lower. Not everyone makes a low salary here, but plenty of people do and you have to wonder how people can get by. House prices are reasonable compared to northern cities, but most people don't make northern salaries here.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:11 PM

870 posts, read 2,179,813 times
My sister-in-law was in town last week for the Jags/Colts game.
When we stepped outside of the airport, her first comment was, "I haven't seen the sun for two weeks!" The sun (or lack of) can really change you.
She thought is was humorous that the a/c was on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville