Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 12:14 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times

Advertisements

Different strokes for different folks. The St Johns river cannot possibly be that bad. I don't think the OP knows what FILTHY water is until he has been to Louisiana. Jaxville seems to be a nice city from the little bit that I saw of it(on our way to the st johns town center which was one of my best experiences in 2009). Very spread out b/c it's mostly annexed suburbs. But seems like a nice area. But if you are making 100grand/annualy you should look elsewhere. I don't recall Florida ever being a "cheap" place to live. Maybe Jacksonville was cheaper 10 years ago, but that happens in a lot of big cities(especially when "yuppies" move in to them, it makes real estate SKYROCKET. But I can tell you that it's nothing compared to Miami, or most south florida areas. Seems like it has alot going for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 05:54 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Yea, no sh*t dude.....we FULLY know that you hate Jacksonville for your own reasons. All of the people who live in the area and love Jacksonville and the new people moving there (like us) will be damn glad to know that you moved to your "better area". Go, Go, Go, Leave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dont be emotional. Be EASY

Old 06-22-2010, 10:26 AM

157 posts, read 332,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Whoa. I didn't tell you to leave. Just asked why you hadn't left if you were unhappy. Big difference. As for the people in San Francisco - there is basically no one left in the city proper except for really rich people - homosexual people who don't have kids (homosexual people with kids worry as much about schools as heterosexual people with kids - and the school system in SF sucks) - tourists - people who go to conventions - and really poor people and bums. You may consider that "progressive". IMO - it's a nonstarter for most normal people (the 80 % in the middle) in the US.

So what do you find attractive about a city like San Francisco. Try to be specific. I know it's not a place for golfers . Robyn

I couldn't have put it better!!! If you aren't rich then you can't make it here!!! That's why I'm coming back to Fl

Old 06-22-2010, 04:46 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorgrad2004 View Post
I couldn't have put it better!!! If you aren't rich then you can't make it here!!! That's why I'm coming back to Fl
Welcome back. Frankly - our last trip to San Francisco a few years ago was kind of mind-blowing (we hadn't been there for about 10 years). I know people complain about some aspects of of downtown JAX - but it looks 1000% better than parts of downtown San Francisco (I've never had to worry about walking over piles of human feces and vomit in downtown JAX - ever - of course - I've never been in downtown JAX late at night after the Florida/Georgia game ). I liked another trip to the San Jose/Palo Alto area a lot better. And even Los Angeles (we were there last year) looks better than San Francisco these days. Robyn

Old 06-22-2010, 04:53 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Different strokes for different folks. The St Johns river cannot possibly be that bad. I don't think the OP knows what FILTHY water is until he has been to Louisiana. Jaxville seems to be a nice city from the little bit that I saw of it(on our way to the st johns town center which was one of my best experiences in 2009). Very spread out b/c it's mostly annexed suburbs. But seems like a nice area. But if you are making 100grand/annualy you should look elsewhere. I don't recall Florida ever being a "cheap" place to live. Maybe Jacksonville was cheaper 10 years ago, but that happens in a lot of big cities(especially when "yuppies" move in to them, it makes real estate SKYROCKET. But I can tell you that it's nothing compared to Miami, or most south florida areas. Seems like it has alot going for it.
The city didn't "annex" the suburbs. In 1968 - the city of JAX was consolidated with Duval County - so the city and county are co-extensive except for a few small "cities" within the county - like Atlantic Beach - Neptune Beach - JAX Beach - etc. Doesn't seem like you live here - but for people who live here - there is a very interesting historical exhibit of the area at MOSH. Hard to understand this area without getting a good history (and the exhibit at MOSH is a good place to get it).

When we moved here in 1995 - JAX was a lot cheaper than MIA (where we moved from). Today - it is still cheaper - but not as much so. Robyn

Old 06-22-2010, 05:04 PM

402 posts, read 1,056,050 times
Robyn and thats my point, Jax used to be a VERY cheap place to live and IMO it make it a very desirable places due to cost of living. Once it gets as high as miami, tampa and place where it actually looks like Florida and not Georgia, why live here instead of there? Why not have crystal clear water to dive and swim in. Why not have white beaches instead of brown. Why not live in a city with a lot more to do there.

When people say theres plenty to do here I dont think they get it. If you LOOK hard, yes you can find stuff to do but you need to find that certain date and do it. Some cities have things going on all the time. Many big name singers/bands just pass Jax and go to olrando, Tampa and Miami.

Last week I was looking to buy a new higher end watch. Several of the brands I wanted to look at did not even have dealers in Jax. These same brands has 3-5 dealers in every other major city in Florida. Why are they not in Jax? It wasnt just one brand either. Yeah they have Rolex and ONE Omega dealer but wheres the rest of the brands?

Old 06-22-2010, 05:21 PM

157 posts, read 332,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I've never had to worry about walking over piles of human feces and vomit in downtown JAX
Thanks, that's what I'm talking about, I work downtown and I'm tired of walking from my bus going through what you described and the disgusting smell of bums all over I've been through a few UF/UGA games and the downtown wasn't too bad, at least not as bad as SF on a daily basis and of course, you can't complain about the GA girls in their black dresses Now I just hope I can find a job somewhere in Fl!

Old 06-22-2010, 06:20 PM

4 posts, read 7,255 times
Default Here's someone who's moving to Jacksonville

And am very happy about it. No state income tax, can afford to live right near the beach, a decent enough diversified economy, etc.. In 20 years it's going to be at minimum a top 35 city if not maybe top 30 in 25 years. Eventually the political class that has been asleep at the wheel will be replaced and a city that has as much if not more natural strengths than just about any other on the eastern seaboard will explode.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:09 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,120,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
This thread just gets more & more retarded from both ends.

I personally think that just as someone can make posts about how much they like Jacksonville, they should be allowed to make posts why they dislike Jacksonville & not have everyone jump on them, beating them away with sticks. That just shows intolerance to different views & opinions other than your own.

Not that I'm agreeing with them, but still. You gotta take the good with the bad. I do like Jax overall, but I personally think we get more than enough of the Jax cheerleaders here on the forum with everyone high fiving each other, so other opinions should be welcomed too.

Point is, nowhere is perfect & everyplace has its flaws. Talk about them without telling people to get lost or either just don't post at all.
Most of the people clowning Jacksonville don't reside here or reside in Greater Jacksonville. If you live in Greater Jacksonville and voice your dislike for the city, as long as it's done constructively then that's cool. When you DON'T live in Jacksonville and have the audacity to voice your dislike of the city, that's when natives will tell you to get gone. I've said it before and I'll say it again: We all wish for more big-city amenities in Jacksonville but those are on the way. It'll come in time, just requires the right leadership. Natives like myself represent our city well and we don't play around with outsiders coming in and disrespecting Jax like that.

DUUUUUUVAAAAAAAAAL

Old 06-22-2010, 08:28 PM

58 posts, read 117,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parks71 View Post
Robyn and thats my point, Jax used to be a VERY cheap place to live and IMO it make it a very desirable places due to cost of living. Once it gets as high as miami, tampa and place where it actually looks like Florida and not Georgia, why live here instead of there? Why not have crystal clear water to dive and swim in. Why not have white beaches instead of brown. Why not live in a city with a lot more to do there.

When people say theres plenty to do here I dont think they get it. If you LOOK hard, yes you can find stuff to do but you need to find that certain date and do it. Some cities have things going on all the time. Many big name singers/bands just pass Jax and go to olrando, Tampa and Miami.

Last week I was looking to buy a new higher end watch. Several of the brands I wanted to look at did not even have dealers in Jax. These same brands has 3-5 dealers in every other major city in Florida. Why are they not in Jax? It wasnt just one brand either. Yeah they have Rolex and ONE Omega dealer but wheres the rest of the brands?

You hit it dead-on in the first two paragraphs.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville