Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2007, 05:48 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,631 times

Advertisements

does anyone have a handle on construction costs in the PVB area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 01:33 PM

377 posts, read 1,728,281 times
It really depends on several factors. Are you trying to build a home with a custom builder who builds on your lot or are you trying to build with a builder that already owns the lots (for ex: in a subdivision) and you have to select one of their floorplans and options. It also depends on the size/complexity of the home and also the options/upgrades. If you give me some more information, I can give you a "rough" estimate.

Old 04-21-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
It really depends on several factors. Are you trying to build a home with a custom builder who builds on your lot or are you trying to build with a builder that already owns the lots (for ex: in a subdivision) and you have to select one of their floorplans and options. It also depends on the size/complexity of the home and also the options/upgrades. If you give me some more information, I can give you a "rough" estimate.
build to my plans on my lot, top notch all the way

Old 04-21-2007, 04:39 PM

There are several levels of "high end". If you're going very high end (for ex: stone floors, incredible gourmet kitchen with professional appliances, theater room, custom woodwork and cabinets, tile roof, etc.) you're probably in the $250 - $300 per square foot range for a custom builder.

You'd probably be looking at a starting price of $175 per square foot for high end.

Old 04-21-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
There are several levels of "high end". If you're going very high end (for ex: stone floors, incredible gourmet kitchen with professional appliances, theater room, custom woodwork and cabinets, tile roof, etc.) you're probably in the $250 - $300 per square foot range for a custom builder.

You'd probably be looking at a starting price of $175 per square foot for high end.
I'd forgo the theater and tile roof but a high end kitchen and wood and tile floors would be part of it. I was figuring around the same numbers, I just wanted to see if I knew what I was talking about.

I probably won't go that route, between the lot costs and building costs, the numbers don't make sense.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:43 PM

Most of the time, if you're trying to stay under $750k, it doesn't make sense to buy a lot and build because the cost of the lot could run $300-$600k (in high demand areas) so there wouldn't be much money left to build your home. If you're looking to spend $800k+ and you can buy a lot for $300k+, then building a custom home on your lot might be competitive to buying a new home from a builder who doesn't customize in a subdivision.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:49 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Quote:

Stevep,

Is it generally the same price per square foot whether it's new construction for a whole house or simply a new addition?

Also, it sounds like the price per square foot that you're ballparking include the appliances, floor coverings, etc......is that right?

I hope I'm not hijacking the post, it just intrigued me because I have a future project in mind. I have an old house that I currently do not live in (someone else does right now) and it is teeny tiny. I love the location and would like to live there one day (prob. within 12-24 months from now), but I would need to add an entire new kitchen and some sort of master suite. Nothing too fancy, but built to last. I was really hoping to stay under $150/sq foot and some of the numbers above made me think I might need to go higher...any thoughts on this?

Old 04-22-2007, 11:03 PM

Yes, the sf numbers that I was ballparking include a finished house (appliances, floor coverings, etc).

With renovations/additions, I think the cost per square foot method can be a bit misleading, because there are 2 parts to building an addition... 1)building the addition and 2) tying in the addition to the existing structure. If you're just adding a room (for ex: rec room, bedroom) it should be cheaper than the cost/sf of building a house. But when you start adding a kitchen (or bathroom), it could get more expensive because you have to connect the plumbing to the existing plumbing and also have to add more electrical circuits (kitchens need more circuits than a bedroom) and then you might have to also upgrade your electrical service/panel box if it's an older home. These additional costs would bump up your cost/sf.

One suggestion - whenever you're budgeting for a renovation (especially with older homes), budget more than you think it will cost because there's a good chance you'll run into unforseen issues when tying into the existing structure (for ex: old plumbing and electrical wires that need replaced, termite damage, truss/roof replacement where old roof meets new roof, etc).

Old 04-23-2007, 03:44 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times
Kort
My Vet is in the process of building a custom house built on a lot she owned and I have another friend who is about to start the process(both are at the beach). I will ask them what the cost are running,
Karla
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville