Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2009, 02:07 PM

83 posts, read 454,409 times

Advertisements

Greetings:

I've seen some of the other pediatrician threads but I wanted to post for a more specific recommendation.

I'm moving from CA where we have a very progressive pediatrician who we love. We have taken a progressive approach to parenting--I'm still nursing my 2.5 year old and we still co-sleep often. While I'm not opposed to immunizations and my son is up to date on them, we had to do them one at a time because of his severe allergies--so, I need someone open to an altered immunization schedule too.

I'm all for treating my son when he needs it but don't like him to take antibiotics unless we are pretty darn sure he needs them.

My son has severe allergies/breathing issues (gets croup and wheezing easily/has peanut and tree nut allergies) so extended hours and a good knowledge of allergies (even though we will have an allergist as well) would also be helpful.

Sadly, I'm told that "Progressive Pediatrics"--Dr. Valerie Miles is no longer taking new patients.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations you may have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 09:57 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
1) nursing a 2 & 1/2 year old is very, very wierd.

2) i dunno. i haven't seen any advertised really. would wholistic be progressive? or is that something completely different...?

Old 07-18-2009, 12:15 AM

Default Actually, it's not that weird

I'm not looking to start a big debate here but just to offer a little info./education, the AMERICAN Pediatrics Association now recommends nursing until AT LEAST two years of age. It's good for the child's immune system, it reduces the mom's chances of cancer, and it is nature's way, like it or not. It's very common in other countries, and it's more and more common here. Friends of mine who had babies 10 years ago all nursed their babies 'til about 6 mo. to a year. But many friends of mine who have had babies in the last few years have nursed well into the twos and some into the threes.

Anyway, again, I'm not looking to go back and forth with you on this but since you posted that it was "weird" I thought I would offer just a little more about it.

There's lots of good info. out there on the subject but I won't get into it here.

Back to my Dr. question, there are some old-school doctors who think like you do and there are younger more progressive ones who encourage extended breast feeding and the like. Progressive doesn't mean holistic, though the two can certainly go together. I'm looking for a regular (medical-model) doctor who is progressive in her/his philosophy. One litmus test would be--open to Dr. Sears' approach to baby/child care.

Thanks to anyone who can recommend names.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:59 AM

725 posts, read 2,570,335 times
This group was recommended.

About My Practice

Old 07-18-2009, 07:51 PM

52 posts, read 194,721 times
Maybe ask the folks at Progressive Pediatrics?? I suspect they probably know of other like minded pediatricians in town.

We go to Progressive Pediatrics and my wife is still breastfeeding at 21 months. Maybe a little weird , but like you said in the above post, there are too many benefits to sweat what the critics say. Good luck!

Old 01-10-2010, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,839 times
Hi there Maisy. We just moved here from NJ. I am breastfeeding a 4 mo old baby and nursed my older daughter until she was 2 1/2. It's not weird, it's healthy! It reduces yours and your baby's risk of breast cancer! We are also looking for a progressive ped. since our girls have both had bad reacctions to vaccines, asthma and repeated infections leading to antibiotic overuse. My mom knows Dr. Miles, and even so we couldn't get into her practice b/c she isn't taking any new patients. I don't know what to do now. If you find someone, will you please post or let us know so we can contact them too? We are also joining holistic moms network to try to get some support. Have you looked into it?

Old 01-21-2010, 09:50 PM

I've heard good things about Dr. Reddy (Rainbow Pediatrics) on Hodges, Dr. Cooper at the Beaches, and Dr. Arrango at Baymeadows. Hope these help! We are up in the air again with who we will be using now that we have new insurance.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:51 AM

238 posts, read 887,410 times
Just a slight correction: Dr. Miles is taking newborns for new patients. And you can always keep checking back with her office, they are in the search to add another pediatrician to their practice. (She is our grandbaby's doctor).

Old 01-24-2010, 04:11 PM

26 posts, read 90,691 times
Default Does it have to be a pediatrician?

I would suggest looking for an osteopath, a D.O. We have found them to be more "progressive" in the way they look at things. Seems like big problems these days with pediatricians everywhere and their patients who don't like the CDC's vaccine schedule. Allergies of every kind are an immune disease, and one would think a DOCTOR might at least give a nod to the validity of the question of a link between the explosion of childhood immune and neurological disease and the surfeit of immunizations given to infants in their first six months of life (and regard studies done by pharmaceutical companies with a skeptical eye). But I digress. An osteopath would be an excellent alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville