Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 07:54 PM

576 posts, read 994,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
Instead of calling JEA to get your reading, you can read it yourself whenever you like - it's usually on your outside wall. This way you can do some tests. Run everything normal for 2 hours and then read the meter to see how much kw you used in 2 hours. Now, disconnect something (like your outside refrig) and run everything else for the next 2 hours and then read the meter to see how much kw you used without the refrig. Subtract these 2 kw numbers and then divide it by 2 (since it was a 2 hour test). This is the amount of kw your refrig is using every hour.

LOL. Okay now I will be known to be certifiably crazy. I had that bright idea. Was going to do just that.

Until............

I went over to that side of the house to do just that. And found a great big long snake sunning itself on the shrubbery just below where the meter is. I am terrified, mortified, of snakes. I ran and almost killed myself getting away from there. Haven't been back on that side of the house since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 09:16 PM

377 posts, read 1,728,097 times
Here are 2 other options. They're not as precise, but will be in the ballpark.... you could ask the snake to take the readings every 2 hours, but there might be a problem in the translation. The other option is to look in the back of your refrig and there's usually a tag that lists the amps. For ex: 2A or 2 amps. Multiply this number by 120 and divide by 1000. This will be the number of kw used in 1 hour. Multiply this number by 24 and this is the amount of kw used in a day. Normally a refrig won't use this many kw, because it's not running every second of the day, but if yours is older and in the heat with bad seals, it's going to be running a good amount.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:28 PM

501 posts, read 1,882,519 times
Talking Electric System Billing

I had a 'weird' problem with electric after I bought my house. If you live in the "urban core" area of a city, you need to pay attention to this!

My house is in the downtown area and has a utility pole in the sidewalk easement, which also has a street light. The utility pole has a numbering system on it to ID it.

I had the electric company come out and do an energy survey and what rebate programs I'd be eligible to receive to remodel/update my home. Afterwards, my electric bill nearly DOUBLED, and I figured this was due to the height of the oil crisis when gas prices went to over $4.

Nope. It turned out the tech keyed in the WRONG utility pole number into their system, which in turn billed me at COMMERCIAL rates, NOT residential.

This all became evident and corrected when the street lamp burnt out and I had to call in the pole number. Apparently, my meter was then assigned to a commercial address and had to be corrected.

My electric bills fell in half again!

It's ALL computers and how you're logged in their "system" on what your billing rates will be.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-07-2009, 11:04 AM

604 posts, read 4,621,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
Another stupid question from me. How would filling your fridge with gallon jugs of water minimize electricity usage?
A full refrigerator retains cold better than an empty one. If your refrigerator is nearly empty, store water-filled containers inside. The mass of cold items will enable the refrigerator to recover more quickly after the door has been opened.

We also have a programmable thermostat for the hot water heater. It's just like the one for AC. It easily adjusts for daytime and vacations.

This a cool gadget I want to get....but i think I would drive my family crazy. you plug an item into it and then into the outlet and it tells you exactly how much KWH the item is using. I wonder if HD/Lowes carries them?
http://www.thegeoexchange.org/kill-a-watt/index.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville