Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2007, 09:12 AM

2 posts, read 16,895 times

Advertisements

Hello, my husband and I are considering moving to the Jacksonville area. We are an African American family and currently live in a very diverse city in California. We would like to relocate to an area that is diverse, and if not equally as diverse as where we live, then African-American friendly. Would Ponte Vedra or St. Augustine be places that we should consider? We have to elementary school aged children and are looking for good public schools, but also diverse schools. I know this must sound like a terrible question, and I hope not to offend anyone, but living in California all my life, I hear lots of things about race relations in the southern states, so I have to ask! Plus, we’re not sure at all where we should be looking. Coming from California, our preference would be to live close to the ocean. Thanks in advance for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 09:53 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,116,442 times
mkharris
You would have no problems either on the Souithside(12 miles from the ocean) or Ponte Vedra. Our neighborhood is very diverse. I know in the school I am at every week there is a diverse mix. I have never lived in St Aug so can't comment but I have not heard of any issues.
One thing to consider is where you will be working. Compare the distance from the different areas to the job. I have experienced the CA traffic(LA) we do not have traffic like that here. We do have a bit more humidity that I noticed on my visit to CA.From what I have read you will find the cost of living quite a bit lower.
If you know the general location of your job let us know, so we can recommend some areas
karla

Old 05-09-2007, 10:37 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,203,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharris View Post
Hello, my husband and I are considering moving to the Jacksonville area. We are an African American family and currently live in a very diverse city in California. We would like to relocate to an area that is diverse, and if not equally as diverse as where we live, then African-American friendly. Would Ponte Vedra or St. Augustine be places that we should consider? We have to elementary school aged children and are looking for good public schools, but also diverse schools. I know this must sound like a terrible question, and I hope not to offend anyone, but living in California all my life, I hear lots of things about race relations in the southern states, so I have to ask! Plus, we’re not sure at all where we should be looking. Coming from California, our preference would be to live close to the ocean. Thanks in advance for any info!

Please take this in the spirit being offered, PVB is not very diverse, Palm Valley and PVB share the same zip code

Races in Palm Valley:

White Non-Hispanic (93.6%)
Hispanic (2.8%)
Black (1.3%)
Two or more races (0.9%)
Other race (0.5%)

From a different source for PVB:
Caucasian 97%
Black 1%
American-Indian 0%
Asian 1%
Other 0%
Hispanic 3%
Non-Hispanic 97%

If you want to love in a more diverse area at the beach you might consider Atlantic Beach, Neptune Beach or Jax Beach. Those areas are not as affluent as PVB, but if diversity is crucial to you those towns have more to offer in that regard.
If you did choose PVB I do not think you'd encounter any overt racism but you did say you wanted a diverse area.
If being at the beach isn't important there are many parts of JAX that would be considered diverse.
You can search for all the towns data at this sites home page

Old 05-09-2007, 11:19 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Both Kort677 and Myfask summed up my thoughts on Ponte Vedra as well. PV does seem to be predominantly white...much moreso than other areas, but if you were to move there, I would not expect you to encounter any issues over you being a different race.

Jacksonville's overall "Southside" area is very diverse - from the Saint Johns River going east into the Intracoastal area and beyond to the beaches you can find a wide variety of nice neighborhoods made up of all different ethnicities.

It's been years since I lived in St. Augustine, now I just visit family there, but the overall impression is basically the same with maybe just a bit less diversity.

Your concerns are valid and real and there are parts of this general region where you might be uncomfortable, but all of these areas mentioned above would be fine.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:30 PM

2 posts, read 16,895 times
This was great advice and I thank you all very much for this valuable advice. My family will be visiting Jacksonville for the first time in August and are very excited. Thanks again!

Old 05-09-2007, 12:50 PM

OMG riveree I am slipping

mkharris how did I forget to mention pizza

If your a pizza fan I can recommend really good places that serve pizza as good as NY.
There is one right next to PVB

ok now its a "karla jax post"

karla

Old 05-09-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post

If your a pizza fan I can recommend really good places that serve pizza as good as NY.

karla
Nice save!

Old 05-09-2007, 01:44 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,143 times
Quote:

karla
Do you like Al's Pizza in, what is it Riverside? When I was in Jax in Dec, my sister took me there. The pizza is awesome. And just so it doesn't seem like I'm stealing mkharris' thread, Jax is very diverse in many areas of the city. You want run into any type of wierd stares like I did when I went to Stone Mountain, GA 14 years ago to visit my cousin or 3 years ago when I moved to Chandler, AZ.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:08 PM

I don't like the crust on Al's Pizza. When you pick up a slice it shouldn't bend down on the end. I have found their crust too soggy. The funny thing is Al use to work for Renna's Pizza my favorite

karla

Old 05-09-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
I don't like the crust on Al's Pizza. When you pick up a slice it shouldn't bend down on the end. I have found their crust too soggy. The funny thing is Al use to work for Renna's Pizza my favorite

karla
Six degrees of pizza separation........or in Al's case, one degree..... !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville