Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 06:32 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,280,641 times

Advertisements

It's as safe as most other areas in Jax, meaning crime does happen there, but it's not an overly dangerous place to live for personal safety....like most of the city.

Crime such as this: 6/10/10 Mother & Child Kidnapped at Gun Point Mother, Child Kidnapped At Town Center - Jacksonville News Story - WJXT Jacksonville

Also, as someone else described, it's like living next to a mall. So. There ya go. You can walk to the mall. Without sidewalks. Next to a highway. Heaven. =)

The "safest" neighborhood that doesn't have a fence around it could be Ortega, a recent study found: Ortega Forest named safest neighborhood in Jacksonville | jacksonville.com

Which is here:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 06:46 AM

107 posts, read 231,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workerbee24 View Post
I lived at the Esplanade for 3 years and I miss every minute. It is SO SAFE. I used to take walks at midnight and I never felt scared or nervous, it was so nice and peaceful. Also the complex is surprisingly quiet and I never had an issue with mall traffic. I loved the convenience of the location. I rarely had to drive because everything I could imagine was walking distance! When I did have to take my car anywhere it was a breeze, there are back roads that get you past everything on the times the town center is a bit busy but I never had to use them because of insane traffic or anything like that. I think the places are completely undervalued and if I was still living in Florida I would be definitely be buying now at the prices I am seeing! If you are considering living there or buying there I highly recommend it! go to www.firstcoastrentals.com (i think) they have a lot of listings for the area!
**I posted the following in another thread--but since what I'm replying to is identical, I had to post my response/question here as well, so hopefully we can get a response from the poster above.**

Hi there, I noticed you have made only two posts in City-Data and both identically highly praise Esplanade. I don't think there's anything wrong with that... I have lived in communities (apartment, condo, etc.) that I'd say the same thing about and I'd gladly tell people to go live there, but I don't know if I would just go sign up on a forum to proactively tell people about it... to search a forum for that community name perhaps and then go make two identical posts. Why do I care you might ask? We are considering renting there... That's why I'm searching the forum here and that's how I stumbled upon your two posts. My concerns are the ones you addressed for the most part. But the way you addressed them is very much like how the rental agent did! So I just want to make sure you are credible. That's all...

Having said that... please tell me what floor you lived in?

If you faced the pool, did you have any noise problems with folks using the pool or smoke smell from the grills next to the pool (assuming that's where they are...)?

How was the noise level (downstairs, upstairs, and next door neighbors)?

How was parking situation?

Do they have extra storage (like assigned storage on the bottom floor, near parking, etc.)?

Again, I don't mean to insult you or accuse you of misrepresenting the truth; it's just that it's a weird situation and I had to say it...

Old 06-11-2010, 07:27 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,376,989 times
We have lived on the Southside of Jax for a year/half (renewed a Lease). Local news will report crime that happened in the Southside, but the Southside does cover some area (any area south-southeast of downtown/across the St. John's River). We live a mile just north of The Avenues Mall. The sirens we hear around here, when we do hear them, is from Fire & Rescue (I know the difference between Fire/Rescue and a JSO siren). Very seldom do we hear a JSO siren.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:24 PM

6 posts, read 18,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnieclemons View Post
I'm a nurse who is considering moving to Jacksonville. Are there nursing jobs in the Jacksonville area? And what area of the city is the safest to live in? I would be living in an apartment community for the first couple years. Is there a safer apt. community in the city? Don't mind paying more for a safe, nice place to live.
I'm assuming you are going to secure employment before making your move, in which case if you choose Baptist South which is located off I-95 you can find a wonderful selection of new construction condos and townhomes in Bartram Park off of Old St. Augustine Rd. You would be 5 minutes from work. If you choose the downtown hospitals, i.e., the VA or others, there are new buildings that overlooks the St. Johns River downtown, but $$$ choices.

I live in the southside of Jacksonville, in a suburb called Mandarin. It's located east of the St. Johns River and though more expensive than Orange Park/clay county, on the west side of the river, there are many options for all price ranges on either side of the river. I'd google the city of Jacksonville and then zoom out so you can see a snapshot of our community and begin your search for work that way.

Happy trails and blessings on your journey!

Old 06-11-2010, 01:28 PM

30 posts, read 60,303 times
Default try 32256

try the zip 32256 area. it is right in the middle so you don't have to worry about where the job is coming from. That is considered the Baymeadow area - it has a mix of the old and new. I lived in that area when I first moved to Jax and found it convenient to everything, and felt safe.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:48 AM

29 posts, read 112,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
St. Vincents is in Riverside/Avondale.

St. Johns Town Center is off Gate Parkway.

They aren't near eachother.

You'd have to travel across almost half the city, not that some people don't.....but.......they aren't close to eachother.

Perhaps you're thinking of St. Lukes....

I was referring to St. Lukes, St. Vincents Medical care. St. Vincents now owns them, and i have heard them referred as them for whatever reason, which confused me. I guess because St. Lukes was always linked to Mayo in a lot of instances, but now that they no longer work with each other, some people refer to it as St. Vincents, just another location of it. I'm guessing this is very few people. I did mean St. Lukes on Belfort Road, Yes.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:10 AM

8 posts, read 21,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workerbee24 View Post
I lived at the Esplanade for 3 years and I miss every minute. It is SO SAFE. I used to take walks at midnight and I never felt scared or nervous, it was so nice and peaceful. Also the complex is surprisingly quiet and I never had an issue with mall traffic. I loved the convenience of the location. I rarely had to drive because everything I could imagine was walking distance! When I did have to take my car anywhere it was a breeze, there are back roads that get you past everything on the times the town center is a bit busy but I never had to use them because of insane traffic or anything like that. I think the places are completely undervalued and if I was still living in Florida I would be definitely be buying now at the prices I am seeing! If you are considering living there or buying there I highly recommend it! go to www.firstcoastrentals.com (i think) they have a lot of listings for the area!
What would be the best place to live if I were to work at Gate Parkway. I dont mind driving a bit more but I would prefer to stay in an area with a convenience stores and an elementary school or a playschool nearby. Kindly advise.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:28 AM

377 posts, read 878,088 times
Gate Parkway is a very nice area. Rent anything off and around Gate Parkway area and you will be fine

Old 06-23-2010, 02:53 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,280,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubbermuchhio View Post
What would be the best place to live if I were to work at Gate Parkway. I dont mind driving a bit more but I would prefer to stay in an area with a convenience stores and an elementary school or a playschool nearby. Kindly advise.

Virtually every part of Jacksonville will have conveneinece stores and schools around, and since you willing to drive a bit, that doesn't narrow it down any further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville