Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 11:57 PM

56 posts, read 285,510 times

Advertisements

Today I had my third and final interview at a firm I would love to work at. My second interview was with my would-be boss. Today I met with the former HR assistant who left to go back to school & whose job I would be taking, the CFO, and the in-house recruiter. Things were progressing really well when I met back with my potential boss. She was insistent on me nailing down a percentage of how interested I was in the job (are you 100% interested? would you 100% take this job if offered? How many other serious offers do you have? Where? What type of position?)

I would definitely take the position but was taken aback by that language. She was very pushy about it and made me uncomfortable. She also mentioned the other candidate had more experience but I was probably a better personality fit. Are those things uncommon during the final round of interviews, or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 12:31 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,059,808 times
That seems odd to me, but maybe things have changed. I think a good answer is, "I'm 100% interested, but of course, that depends on the compensation, which we haven't discussed."

It seems like you handled it pretty well, under the circumstances. I don't think it was fair to put you on the spot like that.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:21 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,635,197 times
Looking for, and keeping, a job you have to play the game, jump through the hoops, etc. The end result is you have a paycheck.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:26 AM

148 posts, read 409,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
That seems odd to me, but maybe things have changed. I think a good answer is, "I'm 100% interested, but of course, that depends on the compensation, which we haven't discussed."

It seems like you handled it pretty well, under the circumstances. I don't think it was fair to put you on the spot like that.
I agree. How can you agree to accept a position without having all the information.

How did you end it?

Old 12-07-2010, 05:57 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
I would have been put off for sure. I may also have been wondering if my body language or facial expressions weren't depicting my sincerity enough.

She may have just been testing you, to see how you react to that kind of pressure. Interviewers sometimes do this kind of thing--ask inappropriate questions, etc., but I don't think its ever appropriate. Such interviewers forget: they are being interviewed too!

Old 12-07-2010, 06:25 AM

56 posts, read 285,510 times
I'm actually not totally sure if I aced it. I definitely expressed interest the entire process and reiterated that the company was my top choice when I met with my potential future boss and in my followup email. The rest of the people I met with sent thank you notes for MY thank you notes, so I am hoping that's a good sign. You are definitely right when you said she wanted to see how I'd do under pressure, but I'd say the last two minutes in a closing interview is probably not the place to start testing it. Anyway, I'll find out either way today, so keep your fingers crossed!

Old 12-07-2010, 11:02 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Definitely sounds a bit odd. But the answer to that question should be a 100% interested. Really, what's the point in saying anything other than that?

Old 12-07-2010, 11:35 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
It's fine to ask how interested you are in the job. Although asking a percentage is kind of dumb, you have to say 100%. I wouldn't like the part about other offers and where else you have interviewed (that is none of her business).

I don't know your situation and if you have been laid off, but since this woman would be your boss you have to ask yourself is this someone you want to work with.

Many years ago I interviewed at a company where I found the woman I would report to be very abrupt. I was there half a day and she had me meet with all her staff individually who asked me the same questions(clearly she told them what to ask). The smart thing would have been to just do a panel interview instead of wasting everyone's time.

Anyway, I went back to HR after the interview(BTW when HR scheduled the interview she said to me "you're not looking to be friendly with your boss", I thought it was odd at the time but after the interview I saw what they were hinting at) and told them thanks but no thanks.

Now I had a job, so it wasn't an issue. I also found out a couple of years later from a vendor that I dodged a bullet by not working there.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:18 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,799 times
It's been my experience that if, during the interview, the interviewer (and future boss) shows signs of being overly nosy, micromanaging, hostile or other very undesirable qualities, then 99% of the time this boss will be that way every day on the job. If someone is desperate for a job, that's fine. Then the answer is obvious.If not, I would pay attention to the red flags and move on by taking another job. Inquiring about your other interviews and offers is none of her business. That's crazy.That was really pushing it. That sounds like a control freak who monitor every break, lunch period and count how long someone was in the bathroom.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:54 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
It's been my experience that if, during the interview, the interviewer (and future boss) shows signs of being overly nosy, micromanaging, hostile or other very undesirable qualities, then 99% of the time this boss will be that way every day on the job. If someone is desperate for a job, that's fine. Then the answer is obvious.If not, I would pay attention to the red flags and move on by taking another job. Inquiring about your other interviews and offers is none of her business. That's crazy.That was really pushing it. That sounds like a control freak who monitor every break, lunch period and count how long someone was in the bathroom.
Exactly. The interview I mentioned in my previous post started off with a snide comment about the commute( this was in LA and I lived 15 miles away), mind you she kept me waiting because she was late getting into work(no apology), and I arrived 20 minutes ahead of the interview time. Yet she was concerned about me showing up on time....I wasn't the one who was late.

It was very confrontational throughout, and the OP's post reminded me of what I went through. I told HR after the interview no need to go any further, and was very happy to get to my job after wasting three hours...LOL.

I agree if the OP needs a job and it is offered take it, otherwise I would keep looking. She was way out of line and sure looks like a major control freak, and people like that make work miserable when you report to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search