Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 06:16 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
Honestly-- and even though it seems case is closed this may help you in the future.

A few things I am assuming from reading between the lines.

1. You may do a job sort of somewhat close to this type of job-- but not really. This job may have been a promotion for you or it was just something different.

2. Company is probably using a title that is just that a title. It does not accurately reflect what the job is.

What I mean by point 1 is that it sounds like to me you have no concept what the job REALLY should pay. For example, my background is project management and business analysis. I don't really need to go to a salary site to figure out in my area what the pay is. I know from networking the ballparks in my area.

In other words, I would not need to go into a interview with a range of numbers and try to tell a company what I am worth.

If I were sitting on the other side of the table, I would consider that tactic as key evidence that YOU don't even really know what you are worth. I definitely would not have offered you much more than a 10% increase on top of my current offer.

Second-- a title really means nothing. I knew a girl whose title at one job was Account Executive. She basically did data entry from magazine sales for a client. THAT WAS IT. The job paid 25k. But she had a pretty nifty title.

I worked as an account executive and I was really basically just an outdoor sales rep. However my base salary was 40k and I was paid commission. Our jobs, skills required, and level of responsibility were vastly different. This is just one example.

It is good you didn't ask for 55k based on the 30k. Almost asking for 100% more than their offer would never fly. WHen you are interviewing part of you is ALSO interviewing them to gauge the realistic fit.

I had an interview today-- I was asked if I would relocate and would I relocate on my own. My answer was honest: depending on the job, salary, and benefits I would definitely relocate. However, that would come out through negotiations because I have a figure in my head (that I know is in their range) that I would require in order to relocate for the role. Like them, I am interviewing the hiring manager to determine the fit and whether or not this job would be a match for me. And if I believe so I will negotiate with what I want-- and I expect them to negotiate as well.
Thanks for your thoughts, I appreciate it. I agree that it is best to figure out your worth on your own, however I am just a little over one year out of college (having worked in the general field at least part time for 4.5 years). I do not have a huge network of peers to poll their salary data. I know of exactly three people who got hired in at other companies to do very similar things for around 50K, but without the travel. I went to the salary sites as a supplement to that, and it seemed to roughly match. I did mention both of these things to the company. You're may be right that it seemed amateur-ish to them, but I don't know what else I could have done other than just firmly state "I can do this job for no less than $X."

I whole heartedly agree that you are interviewing the company as much as they are interviewing you, I did ask some very blunt questions about the nature of the job, their company culture, and some other nitty gritty details. Other than compensation, I belive I'd be quite happy with the company.

After talking to my current job, I feel that there is not much to be lost by making the switch. My boss whole-heartedly encouraged me to make the switch. He told me (and I agree) that as a contractor it is just impossible to move up without being hired in; and I do not need to be a contractor at the company in order to pursue a job there in the future. I've put in a little over a year and have made about as many contacts as can be made through the position. There will be no ill will, and it sounds like there'd even be an open invitation to return to the contract position should things at the new company not work out. So to me it is a case of nothing to lose, and at least $3K to gain, with potentially more in the future in the case of promotions and raises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 06:21 PM

354 posts, read 712,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Hi everyone. In my haste of applying for jobs I ended up sending in my resume to one on Craigslist that would like to conduct a half hour initial phone interview with me next week. Unfortunately I think I had gotten used to so many ads listing compensation as "negotiable" or "depends on experience" or "market rate." In my haste, I hadn't realized that this one listed 25K - 35K as their range. It is a job that I think I might enjoy, but it may not be on my perfect career path...but I can't say that for certain without talking to them about it in more detail.

My issue is this, I currently make just a hair over 30K, and 35K would be the rock bottom I'm willing to switch for. (I currently work through a contractor, and they get paid 50K for my services, so I figure something in the 40Ks would be fair to expect at a new non-contractor job). And currently I also have benefits and they'll pay for my parking/bus pass (which is at least 1K after tax dollars a year). I don't know what the benefits and expense situation is with this potential new job. Of course on the other hand I have essentially zero chance for promotions or raises at my current job.

I'm wondering how likely it is that I could actually be offered the full 35K, even after negotiating. I'd hate to have to sneak in a 30 minute phone call at work (even it's on lunch time, I'd have to find a discrete place to make the call) and then another one or two days off for interviewing and then find out that the best they'll do is pay me the same.

If I decide to decline the invitation how can I do it without burning any bridges?
OP, I'm wondering if you are focusing too much on the salary(which is important, yes, but only one component) at the expense of also considering career goals? Sometimes you have to take a little step back to go where you want to go. I am certainly not saying that you should take a pay cut, but if it is on a career path that will lead to growth versus what you say is a dead end job now, would you be willing to take a salary that is app. the same as what you make now? The pros may outweigh the cons.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:51 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayalevi View Post
OP, I'm wondering if you are focusing too much on the salary(which is important, yes, but only one component) at the expense of also considering career goals? Sometimes you have to take a little step back to go where you want to go. I am certainly not saying that you should take a pay cut, but if it is on a career path that will lead to growth versus what you say is a dead end job now, would you be willing to take a salary that is app. the same as what you make now? The pros may outweigh the cons.
I agree, that is why I have accepted the job offer even though it is about the same as what I currently make. Being a real employee of a company offers much more opportunity for growth, in both pay and position, than being a contracted employee does.

Thank you for your input, everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search