Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 01:41 PM

943 posts, read 3,335,098 times

Advertisements

Hey CD! I wanted to know if a profile/summary section was needed in a resume. Two of my lawyer friends said it's not needed and theirs didn't consist of one and some other friends said yes..I'm in the banking and finance field and in the middle of a job hunt,please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 02:26 PM

943 posts, read 3,335,098 times
Anyone??

Old 06-28-2010, 02:29 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
There are many models to select among. The only thing actually needed is your contact information and anything else that you believe will help you prove you qualify for the job you are submitting your resume for. Its a sales document. You can omit or include whatever you determine serves this purpose. Just make sure you don't fabricate jobs or education.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:38 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,213,762 times
There is no absolute answer, but most any guideline or "expert" advice I ever saw says absolutely you do it.

Lawyers don't know everything. Big surprise.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:32 PM

274 posts, read 998,505 times
if it helps any, all of my resumes had an brief summary highlights of who i am and my major accomplishments at the top. i think it can work for you if you do it right and not be too wordy but just be concise with very impactful numbers and major highlights of your accomplishments that would perk an interest for a resumer reviewer want to read on.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:49 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
I definitely do NOT do an objective, but I do include a summary. It's a really short blub that sums everything up. I feel like I need it bc I'm in the middle of changing careers. The summary gives me the chance to tie it all together.
OTOH, everybody and their mother has written a resume how-to so who really knows?

Old 06-28-2010, 06:50 PM

874 posts, read 1,660,021 times
I think a resume objective or summary helps the reader quickly get what you are about while they spend their 30 seconds to a minute looking at it initially.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:01 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
I think you can go either way, and its up to you what you want to do. If you omit it, you need to make sure your formatting is such that a reader can understand your qualifications in two or three seconds, because that is all they will take to read your resume.

I too have heard the recommendation to remove the top section entirely. I played around with it but it just looked naked to me. I use an 'executive summary' with two or three sentences of: "Experienced professional with expertise in X, Y, and Z specialties. Holds ABC and JKL certificates and is licensed in three states." Or something to that effect. I don't state my 'objective' because that it seems quite obvious that my objective is to get a job with the company I am sending my resume to.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:06 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,213,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I use an 'executive summary' with two or three sentences of: "Experienced professional with expertise in X, Y, and Z specialties. Holds ABC and JKL certificates and is licensed in three states." Or something to that effect. I don't state my 'objective' because that it seems quite obvious that my objective is to get a job with the company I am sending my resume to.
Exactly. IMO objectives are a total waste because obviously your objective is a job w/whoever is reading that. In fact anything where people say do this or they "won't think you're serious about the job." ? If I wasn't serious about wanting that job, I wouldn't have applied.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:02 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1 View Post
Hey CD! I wanted to know if a profile/summary section was needed in a resume. Two of my lawyer friends said it's not needed and theirs didn't consist of one and some other friends said yes..I'm in the banking and finance field and in the middle of a job hunt,please help!
One thing about the resume is, there are as many ways to create one as there are available positions to apply for. There is no "one way to do it". I am sure you've seen the unlimited number of sample resume's online as well as resume books. Each claims to have the "right method". When I see an unlimited amount of ways to do something, that tells me there are many ways to do it.

Bottom line, the choice is yours, you have plenty of options.

Good luck with your search.

Ron
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search