Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 06:57 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times

Advertisements

Here's an article from TheLadders. I don't know if it will help or not. YMMV on it.
http://finance.theladders.com/career-advice/how-to-force-feedback-following-job-interview
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 10:51 PM

14 posts, read 27,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
As someone who interveiws and hires people...sometimes I am looking for a specific type of person, who will get along with the office people already in place. For example, I am hiring a new administrative assistant, who will work with me, and also have to work on collabrative projects with other admin staff. All current admin staff iare older women, mostly african american and white, no colllege degrees.

Am I going to thire a young white woman, right out of college? An older hisptanic woman, who had done admin work before, or an older african american woman who has admin experience. Well, with all things being equal, the older african american woman will be hired. She has experience, and will fit in with the currrent office women. it really does not matter if the young woman out of college interviews great. She was not what I was looking for. So, don't take everything so persnally and literally when interviewing for a job...there may be things going on that have nothing to do with you, or how you interviewed. Even if she wrote a note, or came to ask me how she did...it does not matter, she is not what I was looking for. I would not say that, I would simply encourage her to apply for another job when open.

I totally agree. I use to hire for the meat packing plant and would only hire illegal mexicans. they just 'fit'

Old 02-17-2011, 06:35 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
As someone who interveiws and hires people...sometimes I am looking for a specific type of person, who will get along with the office people already in place. For example, I am hiring a new administrative assistant, who will work with me, and also have to work on collabrative projects with other admin staff. All current admin staff iare older women, mostly african american and white, no colllege degrees.

Am I going to thire a young white woman, right out of college? An older hisptanic woman, who had done admin work before, or an older african american woman who has admin experience. Well, with all things being equal, the older african american woman will be hired. She has experience, and will fit in with the currrent office women. it really does not matter if the young woman out of college interviews great. She was not what I was looking for. So, don't take everything so persnally and literally when interviewing for a job...there may be things going on that have nothing to do with you, or how you interviewed. Even if she wrote a note, or came to ask me how she did...it does not matter, she is not what I was looking for. I would not say that, I would simply encourage her to apply for another job when open.
Quote:
Originally Posted by syoware View Post
I totally agree. I use to hire for the meat packing plant and would only hire illegal mexicans. they just 'fit'
I wish you were being sarcastic, but it sounds like you're serious.

My son applied at a Wendy's restaurant near his college in the city. The manager outright told him to not bother filling out the application.

Since the restaurant was staffed by black employees, the owner said he wouldn't hire a white people because they wouldn't be a good fit.

He told my son he wouldn't be happy there.

I was shocked, shocked, shocked!

Old 02-17-2011, 08:18 PM

14 posts, read 27,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I wish you were being sarcastic, but it sounds like you're serious.

My son applied at a Wendy's restaurant near his college in the city. The manager outright told him to not bother filling out the application.

Since the restaurant was staffed by black employees, the owner said he wouldn't hire a white people because they wouldn't be a good fit.

He told my son he wouldn't be happy there.

I was shocked, shocked, shocked!
I take my sarcasm seriously and my seriousness sarcastically

Old 02-18-2011, 01:26 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Quote:

So, you hire based on race.

What you just stated, if in court, would get your butt sued.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:36 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Even though we feel the need for an explanation of not getting the job, our potential employers are not responsible nor obligated to give us a reason. It sux, but it is what it is.

In these days of tort, they've prob'ly been coached/ordered to not give a reason. Especially if a hiring manager is looking for a receptionist in the front lobby that would be greeting EVERYONE. Customers, clients, vendors, etc.

"I'm sorry Ms. Jones, but you're ugly."

It just doesn't work.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:37 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I will get sued for hiring a 50 year old African-American woman who does not have a college degree, is on public assistance, and a veteran? Not in a million years...having to justify why I did not hire her would take more paperwork than I want to fill out...
So there are always more things going on as to why you don't get a job than your interview...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search