Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 05:55 PM

73 posts, read 586,617 times

Advertisements

For those of you involved in hiring, I'm wondering how many candidates do you prefer to interview in the first round? The second round? I know this can vary a lot depending on the company and job level, but I'm interested in hearing different views on this. How many is too many? Too few?

I'm a candidate, not a hiring manager, so I'm just curious about this process. The positions I'm applying for are probably one step above entry-level (I have a few years experience), though I'm considering some entry-level jobs if I really want to get my foot in the door at an exciting company or move into a different field. How many people do you interview for a position at this level?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 08:52 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
I really don't mean to sound facetious but my answer would be "as many as it takes"!

Old 03-18-2011, 09:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I really don't mean to sound facetious but my answer would be "as many as it takes"!
Exactly. My newest hire starts Monday, and the whole process began in November. We interviewed 3 in December, opened it back up and took 98 more applications. Then we interviewed 7 more before making a decision.
If we hadn't found some better candidates in that group we would have kept trying. We don't "settle" for the best applicant that applies, we keep looking until we find someone really prepared to do the work. This is for a $50k job
a step above entry level.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:17 PM

73 posts, read 586,617 times
Oh I definitely understand that companies will keep looking if they haven't found the right person yet, sorry I wasn't too clear about that! I guess my main question was how many people do you start with? In your example you started with 3, which is what I was trying to ask.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:46 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,130,040 times
Depends on what resumes we get. If we only get a couple of decent ones, then that is what we start with. If we get a lot of quality resumes we start with more.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:39 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,900,650 times
Well obviously you interview as many as it takes to find the right person for the job.

But to answer the question OP is asking.....I typically select 7-10 applicants from the pile of resumes, to call in for first-round interviews. It doesn't matter how many people send me resumes, 10 is about the max number of interviews I can handle before all the candidates start to get fuzzy in my mind.

It's never happened, but if none of the applicants seemed worthy of a second interview, I probably woudn't go back to the pile of resumes to try again. Because, to me, the situation would be an indication that I need to either rethink what I am looking for in an applicant, or rewrite the ad so that it better expresses what I am looking for (or both). It would seem to me more worthwhile to re-advertise and start fresh, than to just keep repeating the same steps hoping to get different results.

After first round, I typically select two or three candidates for a second interview. After that, I usually have a top choice and a second choice if the top declines.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:05 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
In the first round when we interviewed 3, we had a bunch more applicants but none that met the requirements. We would have interviewed more if there had been more that we liked. There is no set number.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:08 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,228 times
For the last interview I did we got about 70 applications, 10 of them were actually remotely qualified for the job, we interviewed two and kept the other eight resumes as backups.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 37,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
Exactly. My newest hire starts Monday, and the whole process began in November. We interviewed 3 in December, opened it back up and took 98 more applications. Then we interviewed 7 more before making a decision.
If we hadn't found some better candidates in that group we would have kept trying. We don't "settle" for the best applicant that applies, we keep looking until we find someone really prepared to do the work. This is for a $50k job
a step above entry level.
Being a hiring manager, or if anyone else can help out....can you please unlock these certain key phrases/words that stuck out with my interview last week, as it is really driving me insane. I am trying to figure it out if I even have the slightest chance...My interviewer's choices; "Hopefully you will be in the 2nd interview," "I am very impressed by your resume...,"

Sent a thank you letter via email regarding the interview that same day, no response.

Then called today just to check-in if he had made any decision; the response was; "I will be making one at the end of the week..." <---My question is; should I still hold my breath, or is this a nice way of saying, we are looking for someone else that's a better fit for this position...?

Old 03-28-2011, 01:07 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apasia78 View Post
Being a hiring manager, or if anyone else can help out....can you please unlock these certain key phrases/words that stuck out with my interview last week, as it is really driving me insane. I am trying to figure it out if I even have the slightest chance...My interviewer's choices; "Hopefully you will be in the 2nd interview," "I am very impressed by your resume...,"

Sent a thank you letter via email regarding the interview that same day, no response.

Then called today just to check-in if he had made any decision; the response was; "I will be making one at the end of the week..." <---My question is; should I still hold my breath, or is this a nice way of saying, we are looking for someone else that's a better fit for this position...?
In a society as litigious as ours, any hiring manager is terrified of a discrimination lawsuit when hiring someone new. That is typically why you get such vague answers. If you promise something to a woman and she doesn't end up getting it, you could be sued for gender discrimination. If you promise someone who is latino they are in the top 2 candidates and they don't get it, that can go to court for racial discrimination, etc...

I know that isn't the answer you are looking for, but that is why hiring managers are so vague.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search